IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 STI Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, long story short I once had a tuned 2018 WRX that was recently totaled by a teenager that hit me head on. So now I'm making my first forum post since I'm in the market to buy an STI. Now I've read lots of conflicting opinions on whether or not the Type-RA (or 2019+) short block was able to withstand more power more reliably than previous years. I have read that the supposedly improved piston design is effective. But how many people have first or secondhand experience with modifications on the short block? Is it worth paying extra for a 19 or 20 just to get that a car with that short block?

·
Registered
64 Posts
IMO - Skip the RA, get an STi. The money you save can go into buying a built short block with forged pistons, etc etc and swap it in. Eliminates the worry. Will be able to increase hp to whatever you desire. 375 - 400 hp is a sweet spot for a car that can be somewhat of a daily driver and still kick ass. Focus on handling and suspension beyond that. That has been my strategy. My two cents...

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Under 400 on a new STI (this is an oriented STI site) block does not seem to be a problem. - so no/little reason to upgrade to a built block for that power level which does indeed make it a sweet spot in terms of cost vs performance. But you can go quite a bit higher on a built bottom end if you are can and are willing to spend the money, and still be reliable. But know that the lives of built block with 2618 pistons is short compared to stock. You can can count on getting 60K mi, 100k if you are lucky? Sure at least one person has gone further . . . My 05 is at 75K and needs a refresh. I could feel the significantly feel the difference in performance after 60K. don't even need to do a compression test . . . There are built blocks with 4032 or Cosworth pistons.

So, if you are going to mod below that power level without a built SB it might well be worth it for the pistons. If you know you are going higher you will need to replace it anyway,. I'd say no. then. Don't underestimate the cost of properly going higher . . . it in the are of Awenthols replace all things . . . very ballpark 1/2 as much as a new car . . .

Reactions: romansky

·
Registered
186 Posts
The 2019+ STIs are better performing stock cars than what came before them. I legitimately have no idea how you can start prospecting a build and planning for the associated mods without first driving, owning, and ultimately understanding what you do and do not like from the stock offering. From an order of operations standpoint I just don't understand this power chasing utopia you're after.

·
Registered
2020 STI Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 2019+ STIs are better performing stock cars than what came before them. I legitimately have no idea how you can start prospecting a build and planning for the associated mods without first driving, owning, and ultimately understanding what you do and do not like from the stock offering. From an order of operations standpoint I just don't understand this power chasing utopia you're after.
This isn't really a power-chasing question. My last car was a 375whp flexfuel tuned 2018 WRX. I test drove both a 2016 and 2020 STI. I have read the short blocks on the 2019 and up STI is supposedly stronger than the EJ from 2015-2018. My dilemma is to decide whether or not the 2019+ is worth the extra money to withstand a FBO build compared to 2015-2018. My goal for the build would be flexfuel and supporting mods, maybe a bigger turbo like a FP...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ah.. So it seems that we are having the ol "how much abuse can the stock engine take" thread for the 738th time.
>2 posts from this user

I will say that if the engine is upgrades, then I think you answered the question already.

·
Registered
41 Posts
"Subaru Corp upgraded the 2019 STI’s 2.5-liter boxer engine with more horsepower, from 305 to 310hp by adding a new air intake, high-flow exhaust system and higher turbo boost (now 16.2 PSI, up from 14.7 PSI). Subaru Tecnica International also retuned the ECU and gave the turbo EJ25 stronger pistons to increase engine performance. The 6-speed manual gearbox features a revised 3rd gear ratio which helps contribute to faster acceleration times. "

-Torque News

).

·
Registered
186 Posts
This isn't really a power-chasing question. My last car was a 375whp flexfuel tuned 2018 WRX. I test drove both a 2016 and 2020 STI. I have read the short blocks on the 2019 and up STI is supposedly stronger than the EJ from 2015-2018. My dilemma is to decide whether or not the 2019+ is worth the extra money to withstand a FBO build compared to 2015-2018. My goal for the build would be flexfuel and supporting mods, maybe a bigger turbo like a FP...
Then this should be a conversation you should table with your turner of choice. You should be creating a checklist together. The RA short block is more reliable and more stout at the stock levels, than the previous iteration of the EJ25 at its stock levels. Once you start throwing mods around you have to throw the baby out with the bath water IMO.

·
Registered
2020 STI Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah.. So it seems that we are having the ol "how much abuse can the stock engine take" thread for the 738th time.
>2 posts from this user

I will say that if the engine is upgrades, then I think you answered the question already.
Yeah it does seem to boil down to one of those "how much boost can my stock block make" threads. It's just hard to find people's experience with the changed engine as there aren't too many of them

·
Registered
2020 STI Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I messaged my tuner, Drunkmann, with the same question and he said "I have a ton of them at 500+ stock engine. They seem to fail less (not tune related) as well." So take from that what you will

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
how ,many STIs are here in the us?
how many are over 500HP?
What percentage of them did he tune ?
I suspect they are small tons . . . . . . :) :) :)

·
Registered
2020 STI Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Just bought a 2020 STI Limited in Crystal Black Silica. Looking forward to the meta build :)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
IMHO a wise choice considering the price of used, low interest new, and knowledge that the car has not been abused and full warrantee . . . Since my decsion ive seen some used at lower prices. Still Im not at all unhappy with my choice in that way.

Congrats :)

·
Registered
2020 STI Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
INHO a wise choice considering the price of used, low interest new, and knowledge that the car has not been abused and full warrantee . . . Since my decsion ive seen some used at lower prices. Still Im not at all unhappy with my choice in that way.

Congrats :)
Funny thing is that I somehow bought a 2020 used! 946 miles on her but with a decent discount off msrp and with cpo warranty. I guess somebody bought a 2020 and kept it for a few weeks/months and ended up trading in. So far I'm really happy with the car in comparison to my late '18 WRX.. 3rd gear in this car is something else

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Congrats.! I just put my 2011 STi back to stock and looking @ a 2020 Possibl.

i have the same tuner since my first STi in 2007 and they say the RA block is holding a lot more power safely so far. They are doing flexfuel tunes close to 500whp on stock block.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts