IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so these past few weeks i had been looking at the 2006 sti but i'm a lot more attracted to the 2004 body style; i was looking through classifieds today and found an aspen white (my fave color) but it's very modded. do you guys think its a good idea to buy an already modded car? i've got to admit the 20G turbo kinda scares me... haha, i could handle it though. the guy says he has kept all stock parts as well so that is good, right? He wants 26k, but i would offer 24k... help please:(

· Premium Member
4,236 Posts
If he kept all the parts then thats awesome .. how many miles? is he the Original owner? does he have maintenance receipts/records?? things to think about... remember, look until you are comfortable with your decission because once you buy it, IT's yours!!! take your time and buy right!! Good Luck on your purchase :)
I know I wasnt the best help when deciding these factors but I am sure someone else will chime in here pretty soon with the right answers ;) :tup:

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
STi_4_Daddy said:
If he kept all the parts then thats awesome .. how many miles? is he the Original owner? does he have maintenance receipts/records?? things to think about... remember, look until you are comfortable with your decission because once you buy it, IT's yours!!! take your time and buy right!! Good Luck on your purchase :)
I know I wasnt the best help when deciding these factors but I am sure someone else will chime in here pretty soon with the right answers ;) :tup:

no no that was good help! it has 36k miles which isn't too bad... and i will ask him about maintenance:p ... i also asked him if the cops ever bothered him because where i'm from theres huge police crack downs, infact i got a ticket for "spectating" at a huge race in sacramento, ca... it sucked, slapped me with a $350 ticket... so last thing i want is cops bothering me... but i'm a girl, i promise, i don't know what a turbo looks like:lol:

· Premium Member
4,236 Posts
jennyjb said:
no no that was good help! it has 36k miles which isn't too bad... and i will ask him about maintenance:p ... i also asked him if the cops ever bothered him because where i'm from theres huge police crack downs, infact i got a ticket for "spectating" at a huge race in sacramento, ca... it sucked, slapped me with a $350 ticket... so last thing i want is cops bothering me... but i'm a girl, i promise, i don't know what a turbo looks like:lol:
:lol: Real Cute!!! :lol:

Yeah I know what you mean , they have been cracking down street racers and other activity within parking lots here(Reno) for years as you may have heard being from Nor Cal.
As far as the '04's potential to be a bit noisier/more noticable? You can bet on it.. espeically with that 20G in it.. remember you can always buy the car and IF he says he has all the stock parts, you can return it to stock and make a nice chunk a change on selling the after market parts... That is if you dont want to to have a BEAST of an STi on your hands...
Good Luck again .. hope you make a wise decission ;)

· Registered
35 Posts
like STi_4_Daddy said, as long as you feel comfortable with the buy go fo it. If you dont, Im sure you have a friend that is knowledgable with cars. Take him with you to check it out/test drive. Im partial to the 04, but IMO the best looking year :)

· The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
10,384 Posts
i wouldn't touch a heavily modded car with a 50ft pole. Maybe you'll get the car and it will run fine for as long as you have it, but there's an equally great chance that something will happen to it do to a poor tune, faulty part, etc., etc., etc.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Transworld said:
Ask him were he had the mods installed. Then ask what shop tuned the car. Then call these shops and ask about the car.

the car was tuned at Gruppe S, which I have been there (my friend has an STi, hehe) and so I trust them... but as for the install i haven't asked, completely forgot about that, thank you, that's probably one of the most important questions... gotta make sure the damn turbo was installed correctly:D

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
STi_4_Daddy said:
:lol: Real Cute!!! :lol:

Yeah I know what you mean , they have been cracking down street racers and other activity within parking lots here(Reno) for years as you may have heard being from Nor Cal.
As far as the '04's potential to be a bit noisier/more noticable? You can bet on it.. espeically with that 20G in it.. remember you can always buy the car and IF he says he has all the stock parts, you can return it to stock and make a nice chunk a change on selling the after market parts... That is if you dont want to to have a BEAST of an STi on your hands...
Good Luck again .. hope you make a wise decission ;)

hmm yes i think i'll keep the turbo... hehe, its gonna be a cop magnet:busted:

· Registered
13,679 Posts
jennyjb said:
hmm yes i think i'll keep the turbo... hehe, its gonna be a cop magnet:busted:
I don't mean to flame, but I've read this entire thread about 4 times now.

You're 19 and it sounds like you attend the illegal drag racing around Sac (or hangout with that crowd) or wherever, I just don't know if a 20G STi is a good move for you.....

Attacting cops is defenitly not something to be cheerful about......

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Peleg said:
I don't mean to flame, but I've read this entire thread about 4 times now.

You're 19 and it sounds like you attend the illegal drag racing around Sac (or hangout with that crowd) or wherever, I just don't know if a 20G STi is a good move for you.....

Attacting cops is defenitly not something to be cheerful about......

i was being sarcastic about the attracting cops thing, i'm somewhat of a smarta$$... and as for the street racing thing, my boyfriend was racing his evo, and our friends live out in sac (the crackdown was 1 year ago so i don't swing down there anymore:)), so no worries i'm not some hardcore fast and furious racing for money kinda girl... i just like fast cars.

· Registered
1,164 Posts
I would NEVER purchase a heavily modded car. I grew up in the "street racing" scene in SD. I've seen the fastest cars do their thing on the track, on the freeway and on the streets unfortunately.

A heavily modded car means a beat up car, plain and simple. Some will tell you that mods = responsible, knowledgeable owner. I beg to differ. I consider myself the most anal STI owner alive (NEVER launched the car and hardly get on it) and I STILL know how much I beat up on her when I feel like it.

Even if you get a normal, maintenance type issue after buying the used car, you will ALWAYS regret and wonder whether you caused it yourself or not.

Food for thought.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shewillbemine said:
I would NEVER purchase a heavily modded car. I grew up in the "street racing" scene in SD. I've seen the fastest cars do their thing on the track, on the freeway and on the streets unfortunately.

A heavily modded car means a beat up car, plain and simple. Some will tell you that mods = responsible, knowledgeable owner. I beg to differ. I consider myself the most anal STI owner alive (NEVER launched the car and hardly get on it) and I STILL know how much I beat up on her when I feel like it.

Even if you get a normal, maintenance type issue after buying the used car, you will ALWAYS regret and wonder whether you caused it yourself or not.

Food for thought.
very true! i just talked to a dealer and they offered to sell me a brand new '06 for $300 over invoice... is that good??:confused:

· Registered
809 Posts
Transworld said:
Ask him were he had the mods installed. Then ask what shop tuned the car. Then call these shops and ask about the car.
It'll matter only to a certain point. I bought mine from a 40 year old guy who owned his own company and had a shop do all the mods. Vishnu in Danville, CA. Didn't mean that he didn't beat on it hard though. I had to replace the clutch and flywheel.

$26K is way too much for a modded car. I think $24K is a good enough offer with 36K mi. I got mine for $23.5K and it had 28K mi and 5K in just parts on it and all stock parts excluding the exhaust cause it wouldn't fit into the car.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for all the advice you guys... big help:) i'm probably more stumped now than before but i guess its good to take it slow when buying a car... it would be awesome to buy the modded one but i do want a dependable car... i doubt the 20g would be dependable for commuting 60 miles a day, hehe...

· Indiatr0n in yo IWDPL
8,796 Posts
jennyjb said:
thanks for all the advice you guys... big help:) i'm probably more stumped now than before but i guess its good to take it slow when buying a car... it would be awesome to buy the modded one but i do want a dependable car... i doubt the 20g would be dependable for commuting 60 miles a day, hehe...
I personally wouldn't buy the car (used, modded) but I wouldn't go as far as saying the 20g isn't good for daily driving...plenty of people on this board will tell you that it's a great alternative to the stock turbo.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.