IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my JDM fog lights and front bumper beam from Gruppe-S. Fun weekend project ahead.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You usually have to know that you need both...there might be a note on the website but they are probably purchased as separate items.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
The JDM bumper beam allows easy installation of the JDM fog lights. More than that, it is 20 lbs. lighter than the USDM beam. For those trying to reduce weight to gain speed, this is obviously an easy place to lighten up the load. There are very few places on the STI that one can loose 20 lbs by changing one part.

Why is replacing this part so significant if there are other parts that I can start with?

This is a good question. Since this is weight that is coming off the front of the car and particularly weight coming off the front end of the vehicle that sits in front of the front wheels, there is a gain in handling one can expect from installing the beam. The car should feel lighter when cornering, driving in canyons, or tarmac racing.

If you do a search, you can learn more, but those are the two main reasons.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Thanks Nivek, I'm all for shedding lbs wherever possible. But is that 20 lbs. less crash protection in front? I would think the STi engineers would have gladly saved weight and cost and stayed with the JDM beam if they could have...

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Slightly less crash protection. Yes, an obvious downside, but how many STI owners so you know that will run into someone? Usually, it is those other drivers that hit us from the side and back side. Nevertheless, they say only for offroad use only like all other mods.

I can't wait to order and receive mine. This is weight sitting in front of the front wheels, so every time the car's balance is transferred from the front to rear wheels, this weight is not only dead weight buy is being flung up and down up and down. That has got to improve handling. Does anyone have there beam installed and can comment on this?

·
Registered
284 Posts
modded imprezawrxsti.com cap!

BIG BIG DIFFERENCE in left to right movement, and decreased understeer too. Just to get an idea of what that weight is like, hold a 25 lb sack of potatoes in your arms and try to shimmy your body side to side - then try that same move without the 25 lbs.....While the STi weighs considerably more than the average man, the inertial effect of heavier USDM bumper beam is still significant and can be felt immediately when swapped for the JDM Beam.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts