IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have been having this clunking from the RF corner when turning the wheel to right and back ever since I installed my Whiteline Group 4 with the help of Dan from RCE. I checked the torque on all fasteners and they were tight. I attributed the clunking to the stock endlinks and waited.

I installed the Whiteline 27-29mm front sway bar with Kartboy endlinks yesterday. As I finished up I left the passenger side endlink bolts loose to be tightened when the car was on the ground. I lowered the car off the jack stands and turned the wheel full lock to the right. As I reached in, I noticed that the end (lobes) of the WL sway bar, where the two adj. holes are, was rubbing against the end of the steering rack. Middle of the tie/toe rod to be exact.

Now, this is with the steering wheel full lock to the right. It didn't look like it was rubbing hard enough to bend anything, but I have a feeling that the clunking I have been getting is due to this issue. I straightened the wheel and tried to check and I believe they are clear of each other, but can't be sure. I'll need to get the car on the ramps to check more carefully.

My question is whether someone else is having this problem. Is my suspension geometry messed up if the bar and tie rod are rubbing against each other? The clunking is still there. The car feels great, so I don't know..... I'll give it a good lookover when I install the rear bars, endlinks, mounts this Sunday.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
First, I would double check that the top mount bolt is tight...if it's just a little bit loose it can cause a clunk. Also, make absolutely sure that the endlinks and sway mounts are torqued to spec and the sway bushings are well lubed. I have plenty of clearance with my 27-29mm front bar so I can't imagine yours is hitting the tie rod but I suppose anything is possible.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't hit the top nut on the strut top with an impact, but I'll hit that up this weekend at Ross'. The sway install was done correctly with plenty of lube. But, one can never have too much lube. :naughty: :lol:

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BoostJunkie said:
I have plenty of clearance with my 27-29mm front bar so I can't imagine yours is hitting the tie rod but I suppose anything is possible.
Have you checked with the wheel all the way to one side?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
twiSTies said:
You sure you didn't install it upside down?
I installed it the same way the stock ones came out. It was my understanding that the rear bar/endlinks tend to flip over. Does this happen to front as well?

I installed the front bar with endlinks pointing up from the mounting point on the control arm. I'll definitely get some pictures this weekend.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Well, I put the bar in upside down the first time by mistake, it was a very tight fit and the tierods hit it. i saw my mistake right away and reversed the bar and have plenty of clearance around the tierods now. so thats my experience with this problem on the WL bar. the front doesn't flip like the rear can.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
La Mer said:
maybe it was when you flew off onto the shoulder?
:lol: Naw, I notice this problem during the install.

So, how is the front sway supposed to sit? Does the end of the sway bar sit above the control arm or below it? in other words, does the front endlinks point up from the control arm or point down? I install the bar the way the stock bar was mounted.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just fixed this problem on an '06 wagon. The bar was installed with the ends running OVER the tie rods and rubbing badly. I flipped the bar and all was good.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^ :yeahthat:

Mine goes over the tie rod and the stock sway bar was that way as well. That is very strange. I don't think it can flip over. Maybe the stock bar was installed wrong? Hmmmmm.... As long as there's no damage to the tie rod/steering rack, which I don't think there is, it's all good.

I'm 99% sure now that this is the cause of my RF clunking. I will adress this problem this weekend. Thanks, Dan for that picture. You are the best! :tup:

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I gotta pull the bar out to adress this problem. I initially thought you can just undo the endlinks and flip the bar over.... wrong. Oh well. live and learn.

I'm still kinda wierded out by the fact that the OEM bar was installed with it sitting over the tie rod.....

·
3,274 Posts
I did that the first time I installed my Cusco front bar. I didn't go over the tie rods so I thought I was good, but nope I had installed it the wrong way. I also thought I could just flip it but I had to remove it and reinstall it the other way. :(

I ended up replacing it soon after with the Whiteline bar anyway.... :rolleyes:

At least now I know how to install a front sway bar in no time, and it looks like you will soon too. :)

If it wasn't hitting the tierod you'd probably be fine. I swear my Cusco bar felt better installed wrong then it did installed properly. Caesar noticed the same thing on his car.

·
3,274 Posts
:lol:

i can give you a hand with the sway bar install.

1st time: 4.5 hours
2nd time: 2 hours
3rd time: 10 minutes (of course this time we had air tools, a lift, and the splashguard, subframe, and crossmember were already off for other installs... ;))

i'm sure i can do yours in .00053432 seconds this time! :lol:

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ditto. I've seen it done. Believe me, once I get a place with a two car garage... it's on!!! I might be froggish enough to just install an alignment rack in there. 10-11k for the setup.... 100-110 alignments @ $100 a pop would pay it off..... soon or later.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts