IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my blades have had it. Actually I don't think they were that great to start off. Normally I put Bosch blades on my cars and they perform quite well. I was looking at the main driver blade today and it has little metal hooks for the plastic airfoil on the blade. Does someone make a blade that has those or a kit that will allow you to retrofit an existing blade? Just curious. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
The airfoil and the blade are all one piece. PIAA makes them with that airfoil. I just got BOSCH blades. I didn't think it would matter to not have the foil but when I replaced the blades I realized that the driver side one is 22" which is big. So far at 80mph though they work fine for now. If I experience a problem or when the time comes to replace them I will try a set of PIAA blades.

·
Registered
39 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
The airfoil and the blade are all one piece. PIAA makes them with that airfoil. I just got BOSCH blades. I didn't think it would matter to not have the foil but when I replaced the blades I realized that the driver side one is 22" which is big. So far at 80mph though they work fine for now. If I experience a problem or when the time comes to replace them I will try a set of PIAA blades.
Without seeing this thread I bought a set of the BOSCH blades this morning. Although they do not have the wing, they are perforated along the bridge. I tried them on the way to work. The do not seem to flap at all. I also ran through a car wash tonight that the dryer use to flap my OEM blades, however the new BOSCH blades did not. Until I prove otherwise I think these blades will work just fine.

·
Registered
260 Posts
filbert said:
you ran your sti through an automated car wash?
yeah, what happen to your wing? :( I remember in either Car & Driver or Road & Track, someone ran a Supra into a car wash with the rotating brush and the rear wing got ripped off the car.

I also hate the OEM wipers. I was hoping to find just new inserts to replace the rubber part but I haven't had success finding one's that work. If you look at the rubber blades you will see that the driver's and passenger's side are different in width (yeah width, the thickness of the rubber). I've had really good experience with Bosche replacement inserts but I haven't found ones that fit the oem wiper arms.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Installed Cusco Front A/R Bar

I'll have to repeat my standard recommendation for TriplEdge replacements. Complete replacement, not just the insert, is $7/ea. at Wal-Mart. They're silicone, just like the PIAA blades that cost 4-5 times as much. They work great, especially with Rain-X.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I had the triple edge, rain-x combo on an old car and it worked for shiet. Unless it was really raining. Seemed like the blades only worked good when they were real wet. Would just smear around with anything less. They were real worthless when I just wanted to clean my windshield with a couple squirts of the window washer fluid. I still use rain-x just not the triple edge blades and never had the problem again.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I took delivery of my STi when it was raining hard and experienced no problems with the stock blades. I strongly recommend a glass treatment like Rain X. I have Rain X on my front winshield and the rear class and the water just scoots....essentially no wipers needed.

-Matt

·
Registered
39 Posts
drewster said:
filbert said:
you ran your sti through an automated car wash?
yeah, what happen to your wing? :( I remember in either Car & Driver or Road & Track, someone ran a Supra into a car wash with the rotating brush and the rear wing got ripped off the car.

I also hate the OEM wipers. I was hoping to find just new inserts to replace the rubber part but I haven't had success finding one's that work. If you look at the rubber blades you will see that the driver's and passenger's side are different in width (yeah width, the thickness of the rubber). I've had really good experience with Bosche replacement inserts but I haven't found ones that fit the oem wiper arms.
In Minnesota there is not many options to cleaning your car in the winter time, other than the automatic car wash (the manual ones with the hand held wand do not exist up here). I just go to the ones that have the strips that hang and move side to side. I have not had any parts removed so far. The STi goes right through with out an issue. I do worry about scraping the rims in the track, but so far they are fine too.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Here in Northwest PA, I've been using automatic touchless car washes since the temperature has dropped to near/below freezing. The touchless wash uses a machine that soaps/sprays/rinses/blow dries your car as it travels on a track forwards and backwards. The paint on the car never gets touched with anything but water/soap/air. While it doesn't get the car as clean as washing it myself in the driveway (since it is just using high-pressure water), it is the only way I can get the salt mix off and have a decently clean exterior during the winter months.

I'm also using winter wipers (rubber boot over the wiper blade arm) with no problems.

-Mike-

·
Registered
260 Posts
Went to Napa Auto Parts and found the wiper blade inserts for the OEM arms. The driver's 22" blade was a Napa in-house brand and I was able to use a Bosch 17" on the passenger side. Hopefully these will work better than the Subie ones and I was able to keep the deflector thing on the driver's side. :p

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Speaking of rain-x windshield washer fluid (not the standard rain-x window treatment), the bottle says treats a gallon (or two, can't recall) of any washer fluid. But on the back, it seems to indicate that you mix it w/water in the summer, and a "winter mixture" for the winter. Any problems with me just dumping some into the standard windshield washer fluid if I don't feel like waiting until I am out of fluid?

Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
STiLLWILL said:
I took delivery of my STi when it was raining hard and experienced no problems with the stock blades. I strongly recommend a glass treatment like Rain X. I have Rain X on my front winshield and the rear class and the water just scoots....essentially no wipers needed.
-Matt
great recommendation.
i'd second this... rainx = on all my subaru's
and all my scoobs = stock OE blades.

cheers
Jamie

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
silent B0b said:
I think my blades have had it. Actually I don't think they were that great to start off. Normally I put Bosch blades on my cars and they perform quite well. I was looking at the main driver blade today and it has little metal hooks for the plastic airfoil on the blade. Does someone make a blade that has those or a kit that will allow you to retrofit an existing blade? Just curious. Thanks!
I use PPG Aquapel on the windshield and Silblade wipers. The results are pretty amazing really. You can get Aquapel applied professionally at any PPG windshield place, or you can buy kits on Ebay that really aren't suppose to be sold. Application takes about 10minutes and it lasts for 6-8 months.

Silblades are guarenteed for 5 years. The only downside to the Silblades is that they need a clean windshield to work well. PIAA also makes sillicon wipers as well now. The silbades don't have the spoiler on the left blade, the PIAA appear to based on their pictures.

-st

1 - 19 of 19 Posts