IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping tirerack for winter wheel and tires. I'm going to get the tpms sensors pre installed. Is there anything else I need to consider? As stupid as this sounds I've never swapped wheels on a car with tpms.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Shopping tirerack for winter wheel and tires. I'm going to get the tpms sensors pre installed. Is there anything else I need to consider? As stupid as this sounds I've never swapped wheels on a car with tpms.

You just need a TPMS reset tool. Look up ATEQ VT06. Tire rack sells them for 50 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
You just need a TPMS reset tool. Look up ATEQ VT06. Tire rack sells them for 50 bucks.

That's not entirely correct, VT-06 unit can only work as a stand alone if the new TPMS were clones of the original TPMS. If not, the new TPMS will have to be hard coded into the ECU for them to be recognized.

·
Registered
122 Posts

This is a thread (Scan Tools Needed for TPMS Relearn/Reset 2019 WRX - NASIOC) on the other Subaru forum that I had responded to. Let me know if you have anymore questions and I will do my best to answer them.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
That's not entirely correct, VT-06 unit can only work as a stand alone if the new TPMS were clones of the original TPMS. If not, the new TPMS will have to be hard coded into the ECU for them to be recognized.

How is tire rack selling these as all you need? They don’t mention cloning TPMS sensors in their tire and wheel packages. I used an ATEQ quickset tool with my 2015 which stores enough sensor numbers to switch between summer and winter setup. No cloning with that one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
How is tire rack selling these as all you need? They don’t mention cloning TPMS sensors in their tire and wheel packages. I used an ATEQ quickset tool with my 2015 which stores enough sensor numbers to switch between summer and winter setup. No cloning with that one.
ATEQ Quickset tool stores two sets of IDs and hard code them to the ECU via OBD-II port so the ECU can recognize the TPMS sensors. It can not scan for IDs or activate TPMS sensors.

VT-06 is just an activator that "wakes" TPMS up from sleep mode so the vehicle's ECU can check for matching IDs.

Go to ATEQ's (ATEQ TPMS - TPMS tools, TPMS industrial tools, custom OEM TPMS) own site and it will become much more clear to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts