IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4th subaru

Has anyone considered some sort of a filter inside the intercooler scoop to protect the intercooler from road salt? I'm sure it's do-able, but thought I'd check to see if anyone's already experienced any pitfalls or speedbumps along the way.

Hopefully Grillcraft will come out with a pre-fab scoop grille for the STi. Looks to be a bit sturdier than the homebrew approach.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Size of jdm fog light bulb?

I just did my own this weekend and couldn't be happier. It turned out perfect and looks nice. I like saving the money also.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um, no ... I meant as something to attach a means of filtration to....

It may be a bit extreme to think of a filter for the intercooler, but I've yet to see anything weather a Minnesota winter very well. It seems like no matter how well you take care of a car, the winters here shred, and corrode, and bury under a layer of salt-encrusted crud....

I'd hate for that to happen to my STi.

·
Registered
668 Posts
will you remove it in the summer? i don't know how true it is... but lots of people like to babble about breaking up the air flow and reducing cooling efficiency for the intercooler.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, absolutely I'd remove it in the summer. Summer is much safer for exposed bits like the intercooler. it's just the winter I'm concerned about, and I don't think there'll be any shortage of cool air for the intercooler in Minnesota in the winter.

I'm starting my own personal "Save the 2.5RS" campaign (only one donor so far - me), so hopefully I'll be able to keep my 2.5RS as a winter car. Barring that, however, I'll need a way to keep my TMIC clean.

'Twas a thought, anyway.

·
Registered
668 Posts
are you talking like some sort of K&N filter custom cut and mounted? or maybe just pick up some really cheap low filtration filter...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking the latter. Outside elements would wreak havoc on a K&N, I would think. It's cold enough out that I wouldn't want to have to clean the thing every 5k miles.

I suppose the alternative is to actually just put a cover over the IC, attached to the hood – similar to the factory cover in the older 2.5RS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts