IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are my winter tires making my car a dog when getting tested from a highway roll?
i don't go out looking for races, but every now and then somebody comes up and wants to give it a go, and it's always on the highway...
i haven't gotten whooped or nothin... but i am not exactly puttin major lengths on people in cases where i think i should be.
case in point: tonite an audi 2.8 something rides my ass, then passes by me with hazards on, kinda lookin for it.
he punches it in the left lane... i check with the g/f then say wtf, why not.
so i jump into the right lane to get around a bystander, hit 5th, then 6th and pass by him, just as we're coming up on a merge/turn/exit.. and with my snow tires i'm none too eager to test her out @ 120 on those mushy things.
so, having passed him enough to satisfy me, i let off and safely get in to my lane.
well, he proceeds to catch up then try and do a flyby again.
is catching up to cars like this @ highway speeds somewhat difficult, or are my soft @$$ tires giving me a disadvantage?

bahh! i just want my potenzas back.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
REQUEST: Stock STI Dyno Charts of Boost v. RPM

I don't see what the problem is....

You were just being safe cause you're not on performance tires..... good choice.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not complaining bout me lettin off.
the snow tires are v-rated, but ya know how it is when they're real soft...

i guess i'm just wondering if top-end is just a little underwhelming or if the soft tires are contributing to it a bit.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Top-end sure isn't what the low-mid range is on the STi. . . . but the tires' stability can and WILL make some drivers think twice about really pushing their car.

I know I don't push mine nearly as much since I put on the Blizzaks. Now with the Paradas, I'd hammer the throttle down all the time if I could. . . . they're Z-rated up the ass. :p

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya, i don't mind playin a lil bit when i'm under 80 or so on the toyos, but ur right..... over that and it just doesn't feel right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts