IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a set of Dunlop winter sport M3's from discount tire last week and before I had a chance to get them installed on my STi, they were sold out from under me by another sale person. But discount tire is trying to make it right by offering me a set of the M2's at $120/tire or a set of Blizzak LM-22's at $140/tire, both 225/45/17. So I just want to get everyone's opinion on which tire I should go with. Does anyone think the Blizzaks are worth the extra money?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i have the LM-22's. i like them alot and they are wonderful in the snow. they also have a higher speed rating and trade of some snow traction for handling. i don't think you can go wrong either way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Blizzak LM-22's have much better traction in rain/wet than the stock tires. With my limited snow experience they seem to be fine. I wish I had m2's to compare against. The blizzaks are making it harder to do donuts though. (This is good in the grip department and bad in the donuts department ; ) ).

The good news is that in the group of tires you're considering, the worst tire still probably kicks ass.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh yeah, according to Dunlop the M3's are out of stock until March.

That will help us lot's this winter.

Good market forecasting Dunlop!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The M3's are fabulous! You can't go wrong with them. I'm glad that I acted early and got them for the car! If there are no M3's anymore, the M2's should still be very good. I don't think they are far behind in terms of performance.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I love my M2's. I got M2's because they were cheaper and more readily available than M3's. I like these better than Pirelli Snowsports 230's I am used to. They perform like decent summer tyres! (actually less noisier than the stock RE's, I find...)

I have tried them on light snow, light ice, light & heavy rain as well as cold & dry weather as I changed to M2's in mid-November when it was still warm (10-16'C). Good traction, high speed stability (100-170km/h) and handling in all of the aforementioned conditions. The car surprises me over and over again with its incredible grip in poor weather conditions -- I attribute this to the winter tyres, DCCD and AWD. It is absolutely astonishing how fast & stably I can drive in poor weather conditions. As I came from a supercharged RWD roadster, I suppose there is still more pleasant surprise yet to come (i.e. high performance in more snow / colder weather. )

Highly recommended. Unfortunately, I can't compare M2's to LM-22's as I have never tried them.

-Rich

·
Registered
10 Posts
I suggest that you consider the Blizzak WS-50 tires. These tires are dedicated snow tires that have heavy side lugs and the classic Blizzak siping on the tread blocks for ice traction. They are optimized for snow and Ice driving at the expense of dry road traction. The downside is that there is quite a bit of tread block "squirm" with the WS-50's. I have a set of these mounted up on Rota Tarmac II's and put them on when driving in snow. When the roads clear, I go back to the RE-070's. I believe the M2 and LM 22 are more of a compromise tire for snow as well as dry conditions. I have to believe they are better on the dry roads than the WS-50's. However, while the tire change thing is a PITA, this 30 minute task is worthwhile for my uses.

We are in the midst of a snowstorm here in CT. I went out for a "blat" with the STi on the WS-50 Blizzaks and put on over 100 miles today, just for grins. I seek out the snow covered back roads and have a number of special ...ahhh..."stages" that I drive. Fabulous stuff. I passed two guys driving quads on these snow covered (5-6")roads who cheered as I slithered by.

Yours in maximum snow grip and opposite lock,

TrackRat

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got the M2 and I love them. I had them on a previous car too (Audi A4) as well. They offer excellent snow traction and, for winter tires, very good dry traction. I will buy them again when those are done. Highly recomended.

·
Registered
55 Posts
TrackRat said:
I suggest that you consider the Blizzak WS-50 tires. These tires are dedicated snow tires.........
TrackRat
I agree the snow and ice capabilities of the WS-50's are second to none the dry performance is not good at all.

There is a lot of tread squirm which will greatly reduce your handling when it's dry, and you will find that any sort of aggressive driving will kill the tires very quickly.

This is why Blizzak put out the LM-22, to give a better "all season" feel and greater tread life.

I went with the M3's because they were available with runflat technology (I don't have a spare tire) The performance between the M2 and M3 is minimal and the M2's are not available as runflats.

Either way LM-22 or M2/M3 you cannot go wrong both are exceptional tires.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i looked at the blizzak WS-50's too. then went with the LM-22's when my brain started working and i remembered the roads are pretty dry in between snow storms. i don't have time to switch tires when the forecast calls for snow. besides, when you live in New England you never know what the weathers going to do. the LM-22's haul ass in the snow and handling surprisingly well in the dry.

·
Registered
55 Posts
definately a great choice, I was leaning towards the LM-22's but need the runflat ;)

T

·
0 Posts
I went with the runflat M3's and am very impressed so far. The LM22's are no doubt no slouch either, you can't lose with either choice.

·
Registered
530 Posts
When you select a tire, 4 (four) of that tire will be added to your cart.
Road Hazard Program is available as an option on tires where shown.

Tires

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50

225/45QR17
Sidewall: Blackwall
Estimated Availability:
In Stock
Price Each: $134

Add Road Hazard Program to this tire:
$64.32 total with four tire purchase

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22

225/45HR17
Estimated Availability:
In Stock
Price Each: $155

Add Road Hazard Program to this tire:
$74.40 total with four tire purchase

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22

225/45VR17 RunFlat
Estimated Availability:
In Stock
Price Each: $238

There are 2 LM-22s, did eeveryone get the runflats or not?

·
Registered
55 Posts
when I bought my Dunlop M3's there was no runflat version of the LM-22 and that seems to be a significant price difference between the 2 LM-22 versions if you don't need the runflat tech save the money. I needed runflats because I eliminated my spare tire and put my subwoofer in the spare tire well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey anyone have any suggestions for STi tires for someone who doesn't live in the snow belt. I live in Baltimore MD and we don't usually get a lot of snow so I was thinking about buying the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S tires. Stats look great compared to most in its class.
Thanks,
New STi owner :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts