IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had a chance to see a good selection of winter tires, in person AND in the right size. All specs and reviews aside there is nothing like being able to touch and feel the tread pattern, the sipes, tread blocks and side walls in person...it tells a lot about a tire...at least to me it does...and no, I don't have a rubber fetish and I don't sleep with my snow tires! :wink:

My short list includes the LM-22, the Toyo S950...the first time I ever heard or seen it...the Dunlop M3 and Nokian Hakka 2, however, I have yet to get up close and personal with the Hakka.

Bottom line, the Dunlop M3 rules! It looks plain viscious. Directional pattern with great block spacing to dig in and most importantly a great ability to channel slush at high speeds. Great siping and nice sharp blocks, so it's ice traction should be right up there. What blew me away was the stiffness of the sidewall!! :eek: I mean It was stiffer than most summer high performance tires I've seen, so they should respond to steering inputs like a mofo. With the rim protector and all this thing looks like a low profile summer tire if you don't look at the tread!

I still need to see the Hakka's, however, unless they impresses me I'm getting the M3's, period!

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I have to wait!!!

Yup, I had pretty much the same impressions as you on the M3s and have pretty much made up my mind on getting a set of those for my winter tires.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The dunlops are good, for sure, but look at the ratings on Tire rack for Pirelli snowsports 240. They are even better (albeit all around average) slightly worse in snow by a hair but way better in everything else.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Again, like I stated in another thread, those "ratings" are only people's opinions of that particular tire, not a ture comparison between them all. People are rating the specific tire based on how they feel it performs in each category, not compared to any other tire.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yep... M3's for me as well. What wheels are you considering? I was looking at the ASA KA3 with the Wintersport M3's as my winter option.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: sti an everyday car?

essogas said:
...but look at the ratings on Tire rack for Pirelli snowsports 240. ...
I saw the Pirelli 240s at the same place I saw the M3's and there is no comparison...M3 all the way! The 240 is an uprated version of the 210's, which have been around for years. They are good, but the M3 is pretty much new technology and just feels right.

Tirerack user ratings are ghey. Put any snow tire on an average Joe's car who only drove all seasons all their life and of course they'll be blown away.

I'm looking for the extra edge against all snow tires when there is a foot of snow and slush out there, or when there is -20 out there with frozen salt crusted pavement.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wait a second. I did not know that tire rack's reviews were totally opinion based. I thought they were based on their actual testing! If this isn't the case where does one go to really find out what is a superior tire other than hear-say on forum boards? How do I find out about the Dunlop M3's?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Daily driver, yes.

only if you find a tire test done by some magazine etc. In Sweden they do extensive tire tests, one swedish auto magazine unveiled a scam attempted by the tire makers. In order to make their tires perform better they sent special spec tires that were better than what stores would sell. The magazine noticed this because they purchased over the counter tires as well as the ones they received for testing. They noticed up to 1.3 mm increased stud lengths, hence making the supplied tires perform a lot better than the over the counter edition.

·
Registered
575 Posts
http://www.aftonbladet.se/bil/0210/19/dacktest.pdf

its in swedish but I can help translate the thing for you, I guess whats relevant is the stats on different excersices done to the tires.

blue legends are studded tires, red are studless, tire dimension tested was 195/65 R15

first chart is ABS-braking on smooth ice.
second Acceleration on smooth ice.
third, circle on rough ice with a diameter of 60 meters (on the virge of spining out) laptimes in sec.
fourth ABS-braking on snow.
fifth acceleration on snow.
sixth ABS-braking on wet tarmac
seventh driveability on a typical forest road snow(curvy) lap time in sec.
eigth driveability on a typical forest road ice(curvy) lap time in sec.
ninth slush planing. 1.5 inches (drive thru a corner until car looses traction)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
essogas said:
Wait a second. I did not know that tire rack's reviews were totally opinion based...
Well they have two sets of reviews. One is the customer feedback from pretty much all the tires they sell...that is the ghey portion. The other reviews are the ones that are actually done by Tirerack. They are very good and give you some numbers to back up all the tests they run. The problem is that they only compare very few winter tires and the tests they have done are outdated.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i've never seen the M3s, but i have a lot of experience with hakkas and i've found them to be absolutely the best snow tires i've ever used. i should say that i'm used to the 1s, and i'm not sure how different they are from the 2s. i would highly suggest getting a look at the hakkas before you make a final decision.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bottom line, the Dunlop M3 rules! It looks plain viscious. Directional pattern with great block spacing to dig in and most importantly a great ability to channel slush at high speeds. Great siping and nice sharp blocks, so it's ice traction should be right up there. What blew me away was the stiffness of the sidewall!! I mean It was stiffer than most summer high performance tires I've seen, so they should respond to steering inputs like a mofo.
err, is it just me or are you planning on putting run-flats on your car for winter tires? When I look at the tire specs for the Dunlop M3 on TireRackhttp://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Dunlop&model=Winter+Sport+M3 the only option available for the 225/45-17 size is a run-flat.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
You can get them as a run flat or normal tire. Not sure why they only list the run flat. I would prefer a normal one myself. I could have sworn I saw them both listed on tirerack.com at one time. Of course their tire listings do change from time to time. In the description of the tire they mention the M3 or the M3 DSST (Dunlop Self-Supporting Technology run-flat tires).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WRXPRESS said:
I noticed that too. I would like them without runflat. Why are they not offered? Anyone?
Yes, they are offered.

The other problem is that I only saw "dealer samples" in my area, and no one in my area has any prices or stock yet on any winter tires.

...they all said "in a couple of weeks"...that was last week...I'll keep you posted.

I really want to see the Hakka 2's before I decide!

...dammit, then I gotta get rims too! :x :D

·
Registered
595 Posts
I will also be going with the M3's. My dad had them on his CL600 last winter and they work great. The only loss to the Michelin Pilot Sports or Dunlop SP9000's was some dry acceleration. We attributed most of this to the narrower rear tires with the M3's. We could not find a winter tire that was as wide as the stock rear tires.

My only problem is which rims to put them on.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts