IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I know its early but you guys think we can fit a set of 16 inch wheels over the bremos? I kind of like the stealth look of the 16s. The car should sit lower too.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
16s....not a chance man.

Finding any wheel to fit over the Brembos is becoming a pain, but there are options out there. Cheapest option is looking to be the Rota wheels.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Where can we find some black steel wheels to fit over the Brembos? I think that it would look pretty cool and they would save me some cash. This car will be awesome with some snow tires. The spare tire wheel is too thin to find real tires to use.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The spare is the only steel wheels I've ever seen made the way it is. Just look at aftermarket rims....if so few fit our car, how much harder would it be to find steelies?

Honestly, if you wanted to go hard-core with snow tires, the thinner spares would be awesome. You'd cut through the snow much better...similar to the way the WRC guys run in winter rallies.

Volks bend? Never heard such a thing said. A good forged wheel is never going to bend. The only risk you would ever run with a wheel would be similar to what Rota experienced a while back....a cast wheel getting a stress crack and fracturing.

Now if you are talking about bending a rim as far as potholes....that's going to be the case with any wheel with a small profile tires on it. Only suggestion....get higher profile tires on them.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
hmmm I think four spares mounted with Hakka snows would be just about the sweetest snow setup possible.....

I am choosing to use the 15 inchers mounted on the soon to be mine 1988 Audi 80 Quattro.

The STi will rest warmly in my brothers storage barn while I perform "upgrades" on it all winter long. >:)

T

·
0 Posts
scraped air splitters on curb :( help!!

So what are the options so far for winter tire rims? Can we get a list made up? Maybe even have a sticky stating all rims that fit the fronts? I'm still waiting on my dealer to contact me reguarding the ones he talked to me about. No word yet but will let you all know as soon as I know.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have seen gravel and winter rally wheels for sale on sites like rallispec.com, but they are all smaller. I know that in a gravel rally, you don't need to have large brakes because they would just lock up faster. What I don't understand is how these places sell small wheels, but no small brake packages. I went looking last night and came up with nothing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
turbs said:
I'm still waiting on my dealer to contact me reguarding the ones he talked to me about. No word yet but will let you all know as soon as I know.
Here's the package our dealer has offered:

17" Enkei rims with Blizzak snow and ice tires for $499 (Cdn) a corner, mounted and balanced.

These are very nice looking RPM2s and the dealer price is great but I'm not sure how appropriate they would be for winter driving. I told the dealership about the Rota SDRs thinking they may be better - they are looking into them.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Not a chance a wheel with that flat of a face will fit our calipers.

The problem isn't picking out a wheel we like/dislike....it's finding one that will fit!

·
Registered
46 Posts
TurboXS stealth-back 1st impressions.

I'm checking on a set of 16x7 Compmotive MO's for winter use. They (Motorsport Specialties - Compomotive Importer) seem to think they will fit over the Brembo calipers but I hope to find out for sure in the next couple of days.http://www.usacomp.com/

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Unless that is the thinnest wheel ever made...there isn't a 16 on earth that will fit. The width doesn't sound promising either. You'd look like a roller skate if they actually fit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Compomotive Mo's are a Rally Motorsport wheel so they are far from thin and light and made with maximum brake clearance. I have orderd 16x7 with a offset of 50. They have said they will fit over the Brembo calipers and the 12.9" disk of the STI. I should have them within a month so I can double check the fitment then. Plans are to run a 205/55 16 Blizzak W2-50 tires.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I called Tire Rack and they recommended the following for winter use on my 2004 STI.

Wheels: ASA KA3 17" x 7.5"
Tires: Dunlop Winter Sport M2 225/45

Total: $1,195.71 shipped to my door and balanced.

This seems like a decent setup to use for four months in Michigan (NOV, DEC, JAN & FEB). It also keeps the same diameter as the stock BBS and Bridgestone’s so, in theory, no issues with the speedometer. This gives me what I want, quick and easy swapping from summer performance to a decent compromise for winter.

Any thoughts to the contrary?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
225's are very wide to be running around in the snow/slush with. I had Michelin Arctic Alpin 225's on my WRX and they were awesome in ice and light snow, but tended to ride on top of slush and deeper snow at highway speeds. Try to get the narrowest tire possible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I will definitly let you all know about the fitment of the MO's when they arrive. If I remember, I'll even take a picture or two if they fit :D

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
They would sell you that wheel....it's the only one they list as fitting the car!

Buy some tires from them, get a set of Rotas for $600 shipped and go that route if money is a main priority.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts