IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of talk has been directed towards the Prodrive wing and larger hood scoop. So what does everybody think of them? Do you live with them and hope to avoid being made fun of? Do you take the car from the lot and install replacements you bought before the car even came? Or do you revel in the "in your face, this is a goddamn fast car" tradition of STi?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know! Must be a lot of rock dwellers out there. Could somebody give these people a link!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Where's the "You bet I want the wing and the scoop!!!" option?

I can remember when people were worried we wouldn't get the prodrive package offered here. I would be worried that they could still tone down look and not give us the wing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that the scoop and wing look great - if the new STi came with both them, it would save me the trouble of buying and installing them. The most common picture you come across on the net of this up till soon mysterious foreign monster was of the blue Prodrive edition. Some people aren't even sure of the 17" gold rims, saying they would use them for winter rims. I personally love the rims - I plan on using the stock rims for summer and buying a set of Prodrive P7's for winter/racing rims.

I think the STi would just look like a WRX with STi badges and decals added to fool the uneducated. But that is just me - I think the current WRX looks like crap without the spoiler and am very glad the spoiler was added by dealers when delivered to Canada. So I welcome the mean and agressive looks of the slightly garrish wing and scoop.

P.S. Thanks to the dude who posted the pic above for the "living under a rock" crowd. 8)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Prodrive all the way!

I would consider getting rid of the wing (maybe do a swap for the trunk lid off a regular WRX). Just not a wing guy.

On the other hand might as well keep it the way it comes.

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Somehow the options in the poll keep getting screwed up every time I try to fix them. Lost some of the votes. Ignore repeating options.

·
Registered
15 Posts
a high wing is a good deflector for poorly adjusted truck lights :) and besides it looks very Japan BANZAI with the wing and crazy hoodie, the car is all about being in your face wild looks, if they bother then get a german sleeper car :)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I dunno, maybe it's just me...but both are perfect. Just like we were talking about the off topic....it's a perfect imitation of what we'll be seeing in WRC. And this time...the car will have the substance to back up the appearance when it hits the US streets.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The horsepower is up in the air - expect 271 at minimum. The max number depends on how much Subaru wants us to pay, and depends on how much it has to be de-tuned for emmissions. As far as top speed, I have heard 149 mph, but that is also not currently confirmed - Subaru said the WRX was electronically limited to 130 mph, but according to Sport Compact Car that number is lower than what it is capable of (I have never had mine past 130, so I wouldn't know).

Anyone else?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I don't know the top speed of this car, but there are better top speed cars out there. Typically WRXs and STis have shorter gearing to better use the turbo and reduce turbo lag. That and audacious wings and scoops there is more drag to these cars than many already on the market.

If I were going for a good top speed car I would look at the 350Z. It has good power, tons of potential and its a bit heavier than the WRX/STi which makes for good high speed stability.
just my .02. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sure, buy the 350Z if you want a fast car - but are you really driving at insane speeds at a regular basis to warrant driving such an ugly car? :)

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
well "ugly" is subjective..I think it looks sweet. I wouldn't buy one myself, b/c top speed is overrated. The Autobahn is fun and all, but driving that fast is full of tension making sure things are ok, there isn't an upcoming traffic jam, etc.

Now, myself, I like everything about a car..acceleration, braking, handling, rawness...all of which the STi has.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts