IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Random question here. I couldn't find the Wiper Forum, so hopefully this is the right place:

So, since I've had my STi (2k miles) I've noticed that the windshield wipers work GREAT on the up-swing (wipe the glass totally clean) but when they're on the way down, I have this big swath of "poorly-squeeged" area where the two blades overlap and in a few other places that hinder my view forward. Does anyone else have this experience? Should I (can I?) turn the blades around to fix this? It would be fine if they left streaks and water on the upswing if they would leave it clean when they're heading downward (and in the "off" position).

Am I the only one with this problem? In the first hundred miles or so, I thought the wiper blades just had to be "broken in" but 2k miles later and they're still streakin' in one direction...

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've also experienced this. The wipers on my car have been pretty bad for cleaning the windshield in most conditions.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Or you can go to Wal-Mart and pick up a set of Tripledge silicone wiper arms for the a fraction of the price. I paid ~$6/ea for mine. And that's arms and blades, not just refills. Can't beat 'em.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
PIAAs are ~$40/set at The Tire Rack, but they don't list them for the STi. The Tripledges I have were the same size as the ones on my '02 WRX.

·
Registered
668 Posts
sometimes i think that the wipers just aren't sprung enough to push down on the windshield as hard as they should...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice Post...I can't believe none of us mentioned this in the STi problems thread. Seems to be a recurring theme. Will be looking at replacing mine....probably go for the Walmart specials....save the big money for rims.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Well, I wasn't really having a problem with the stock wipers, I just prefer silicone blades with rain-x type treatment.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes, mine were definitely defective/damaged off the lot. same problem here - smears/film on the way down on the drivers side. I just found out its covered in my warranty, so what the hell....

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Yeah, smears a huge area up high where the passenger wiper overlaps the driver's side one. Thanks for the tip on the "Walmart specials"... :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Agreed, very unhappy with my screaching wipers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: STI UP PIPE? WORTH CHANGING??

ya, same here wiper no wipey :(

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, I guess I'm not the only one! That makes me feel better. :D I'll look into the PIAAs or the "Wal-Mart specials". It's a tease that they work so well in one direction... but it really is a visibility issue when it's night and just raining a little bit. Can't see a damn thing!

Thanks for the replies, all!

M

·
0 Posts
Odd... I do not have this problem and it rains all the time here so I have to use mine a lot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, here in Seattle it's a big problem! The big improvement I noticed on the STi vs. my old WRX is the high speed wiper performance. Anything over 75 and the wipers wouldn't work. On the STi, they're good all the way well past 100!

·
Registered
7 Posts
thank you i thought i was goin' nuts my blades do the exact same. but 40.00 ouch that hurts. wal mart i hate to say but here i come, maybe with some rainex.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts