IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Hummer and I both got the same tint...it's a tint with a slightly higher metallic content. Don't get the wrong idea as I did at first...this is not that mirror tint. It is a smoked tint, but with the higher metallic content, it's reflectivity is much higher. Instead of the tint just absorbing the light and reflections that hit it, it reflects much more. As I said, this isn't pure mirror tint, but it does have a great reflectivity to it.

I'll try and take some pics this afternoon for you.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Swap the Car.

I, too, got a grey tint with a high metallic content myself. I did 30 all around. (I am not a big fan of having two-three tones of tints on m car.) While some people like it darker (20- 25 or even lower), I found 30-35 to be perfect. Because the interior of the STi is relatively dark and the windows already have some light green tint, the 30 all around make the windows look quite dark, actually.

The tint film characteristics, according to the FTI's Diamond Metallic Film spec sheet indicates: heat rejection 48.7%, glare reduction 62.9% and UV protection 99.0%. Based on numbers alone, it seems that metallic tints not only last longer (or.. at least a longer warranty typically) but also have better heat / glare characteristics.

It even came with life-time warranty (i.e. as long as I own the car), by the way, which can be leveraged even if I damaged it myself intentionally, apparently... (according to the store manager)

I did this at a local Tint King (I know, a shabby name, but they did a terrific job). It took 2 hours and 15 minutes or so. I thought it was done very fast as most others quoted 3-4 hours for the job. They asked me to return in a few days for inspection & refinement (if necessary).

I was looking for a light blue tint (a la Mercedes AMG) initially, but I noticed that (1) it was impossible to find the same light tint apart from rather ricey bright blue tints; (2) the blue tints I found came with no metallic content and minimal warranty if at all.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
858 Posts
dont get a metallic tint as that might affect the antennae on the rear window...

FWIW ,i got black 20% on my black/gold combo...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I think we got 37% on ours....legal here in KS. I did do the back window at that percentage.

Honestly, I wish it was darker in the back, but what can you do. My Celica had 35% in the front and 20 in the rear, which was allowed in NE at the time. It allowed you to see out, but the dark rear made the car look darker.

Forgot about the pics and got busy with the alarm install....will try to have some soon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got a light blue metalic tint. It goes really well with my blue car. I did lose AM radio but I don't listen to it anyways, so I don't care.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here are the pictures. It was getting dark out there, so I couldn't get a good shot of it. The tint looks lighter under the sun.
Sorry rjhang, I have no idea what kind of tint it is.

T

·
0 Posts
Just got mine done today, 20% all around, looks pretty good I must say. I will only have pictures next month, if anyone wants to see. It's non metallic but kinda has a little mirror reflective on it. I like it. Got it done at Apple Auto Glass for 250 bucks.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I want to say Llumar. www.llumar.com I looked to see if they listed the different types of tint, but they don't. When they showed the display to Hummer and I, there were 3 grades of tint, all metallized to some extent. The more the metallic content, the higher the reflectivity and the price as well.

I did have a few pics up after us KC guys met up a few weeks back. DOH.

Me - WRB and Hummer - Silver. Same tint, 35%.

·
Registered
886 Posts
ssitu said:
I got a light blue metalic tint. It goes really well with my blue car. I did lose AM radio but I don't listen to it anyways, so I don't care.
Hey, I'm kinda interested in getting a blue tint. I was looking at your pictures but it's kinda hard to see them. Do you have any in the daytime? Thanks! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts