IW STi Forum banner

161 - 180 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #161 (Edited)
Re: Willub's 04 STi: RallyX was sweet!

Looks like a good time out there in the snow. Nice turn on the pointer cone!
Thanks! I nailed that cone the run after :lol: It was tons of fun sliding around. This is something I wouldn't want to do regularly with my DD though. At one point I went up on the right side bank of that narrow section right after the first corner. When I say on it I mean ON it, the car climbed all the way up it with my right tires and came back down. That bank is deceivingly small in the video too, it's at least two feet high. I was surprised to see my bumper still attached when I got back to grid. No noticeable damage from it. I did get a rock stuck between my front caliper and wheel though, so there is a nice gouge in the caliper :(

·
Registered
348 Posts

Thanks! I nailed that cone the run after :lol: It was tons of fun sliding around. This is something I wouldn't want to do regularly with my DD though. At one point I went up on the right side bank of that narrow section right after the first corner. When I say on it I mean ON it, the car climbed all the way up it with my right tires and came back down. That bank is deceivingly small in the video too, it's at least two feet high. I was surprised to see my bumper still attached when I got back to grid. No noticeable damage from it. I did get a rock stuck between my front caliper and wheel though, so there is a nice gouge in the caliper :(
LOL, RallyX is tons of fun. My wife and I do it occasionally here in Hawaii but our course/track/area is really small compared to places that have land to open it up a bit. Snow sounds really fun, I've never done it in an AWD car before.
Sounds a little scary with the bank of snow on the side. Good thing you came off it ok with no damage. Pretty amazing actually.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #163

I've decided I'm going to sell my winter toy, and dump that money straight into my car along with my tax returns :lol:. Instead of 245 kumho v710's I'm now planning on 275/40 Hoosier A6's. The only reason I wasn't going with 275's was because of my lack of coilovers. That will be changing :naughty: Now I just need to decide on some. I'm thinking RCE t2's. I'm also still interested in the AST 4150 but who knows when they will actually be available.

I've also decided to play it safe tuning wise. With the recent scare I had with my engine I realized how expensive a new engine will be if I mess up. I'll leave it to BrenTuning this time

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Plans be changin!

Nice! Can't go wrong with the T2's. What a difference those and the tires will make for you this year as well! Maybe we can stand a chance at the team challenge this year! With any luck we can actually have 4 working STi's in 4 different classes. :naughty:

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

I've decided I'm going to sell my winter toy, and dump that money straight into my car along with my tax returns :lol:. Instead of 245 kumho v710's I'm now planning on 275/40 Hoosier A6's. The only reason I wasn't going with 275's was because of my lack of coilovers. That will be changing :naughty: Now I just need to decide on some. I'm thinking RCE t2's. I'm also still interested in the AST 4150 but who knows when they will actually be available.

I've also decided to play it safe tuning wise. With the recent scare I had with my engine I realized how expensive a new engine will be if I mess up. I'll leave it to BrenTuning this time
Nice! I loved my T2's when I had them. AST's look like a very viable option as well, and they are also monotubes which are basically stronger/thicker shock bodies. I believe T2's are twin-tubes. (mine are twin, matt's are mono) I wouldn't base your decision on this fact though.

I ran 275/40's last year/year before and this year I'm trying out Hoosier's new 275/35 tire. I'm curious to see if there are any improved handling benefits from the shorter sidewall. (07 gears FTW) Regardless, those RPF1's are super light (16.5lbs IIRC).

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #166

Nice! Can't go wrong with the T2's. What a difference those and the tires will make for you this year as well! Maybe we can stand a chance at the team challenge this year! With any luck we can actually have 4 working STi's in 4 different classes. :naughty:
Now that would be moar wheel drive! Hopefully my old clunker can make it :lol:

Nice! I loved my T2's when I had them. AST's look like a very viable option as well, and they are also monotubes which are basically stronger/thicker shock bodies. I believe T2's are twin-tubes. (mine are twin, matt's are mono) I wouldn't base your decision on this fact though.

I ran 275/40's last year/year before and this year I'm trying out Hoosier's new 275/35 tire. I'm curious to see if there are any improved handling benefits from the shorter sidewall. (07 gears FTW) Regardless, those RPF1's are super light (16.5lbs IIRC).
If the AST's were readily available I'd deifinitely give them a shot but they are taking their sweet time releasing them. I was thinking the same thing with the tires about the shorter sidewall, but I'd really benefit from the larger diameter. I remember tons of areas on the courses last year where I'd be bouncing off the limiter coasting along for a second or two :banghead:

I can't wait to get everything on and try it out :devil: But for now I need a new tune. I have been taking it easy all winter due to not being tuned for the IC and post MAF tubing. I also found out that my up pipe heatshield was not the annoying rattle. Its actually my windshield washer tubing on the underside of the hood vibrating between the hood and intercooler. The two retainers for the tube are broken and that probably happened the first time I closed my hood after I put the AMR unit in. Woops.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Plans be changin!

I've decided to go with the gen 4 Fortune Auto 500's for coilovers. They just seem like an amazing deal and after talking to Mr. Mickle it seems they are worth every penny. I'm gonna get the swift springs, roller bearings and rear camber plates with them as well. For rates I'm thinking 10k up front and 9k out back. If anyone has suggestions on rates that would be great. I have whiteline 24mm adjustable bars installed right now and have the stockers lying around as well.

Finally ordered a dongle and a cable for my AP so I can see how the car is doing. I'm contemplating tuning the car myself again. Ill at least give it a go with injector scaling and the easy stuff, then see how far I'm willing to go. If my A/F is the same and I'm not knocking with my current tune I may just leave it alone and save the cost of a tune. We'll see how it all plays out. I currently have no bites on my snowmobile, so selling that isn't looking so good. I'm still gonna get the coilovers soon though since my taxes just came back :tup: Anyone looking for a snowmobile? :D

·
Registered
815 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Spring rate suggestions?

Can you get me your vehicle weight? Front/Rear weight Bias? I can give you my opinion on spring rates if you can get me that info. 10k/9k will be close.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts

What tires will you be using? Tires play a big role in the spring rates you should use.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #170

Can you get me your vehicle weight? Front/Rear weight Bias? I can give you my opinion on spring rates if you can get me that info. 10k/9k will be close.
I'll look into it, thanks

What tires will you be using? Tires play a big role in the spring rates you should use.
275/40 A6's

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

FWIW, I went with 9k/10k. I did this to get some extra rotation, and as you have seen it certainly worked! I expect to rein it in a little bit this year by making some alignment changes. I am hoping that new alignment settings and the gobs of grip I should have with the new tires will put me right were I want to be.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #172

Yeah I noticed your car was very tail happy, which is what I would like but I should be able to tune that with my sway bar and rebound settings hopefully. I HATE understeer.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Yeah, I was also driving the shit out of the poor car. Way beyond the tire size that I was running. With those rear camber plates you can dial in enough camber to get things loose. That was part of my problem, I think, was too much rear camber.

·
Registered
815 Posts

Depending on your front/rear weight bias we can induce some more rotation without having higher spring rates in the rear than in the front. It will be based upon your average corner weight to wheel rate ratio (corner weight/wheel rate) front and rear. Then you can fine tune with your sways. :)

9k/10k on a GD chassis would be great for what I would consider/think is WAY too much oversteer from the start, but that just isn't my driving style or how I want my car to handle.

Yet I don't blame anyone trying that for doing it. Sounds like fun to me :D

Yeah, I was also driving the shit out of the poor car. Way beyond the tire size that I was running. With those rear camber plates you can dial in enough camber to get things loose. That was part of my problem, I think, was too much rear camber.
What rear camber were you running?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Keep in mind that I am building mine geared toward autocross exclusively, everything else comes second. And that this year I will be on 295 Hoosiers not 245 Kumhos. I was running as much as 1.9* in the rear last year.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

If you will be running r-comps, then I suggest stiffer rates. I'm running 700/600 springs now, and I think it's just about perfect. The next step up from here is ~800/700, and I think that will be a bit too stiff. Keep in mind that I also daily drive this car on the street. :D

If you keep your front sway bar on there's a good chance you will get some understeer. If you leave the rear bar on, you'll lift the inside rear excessively. Both of these scenarios happened to me, so I'm back to stock sways now with high spring rates.

If you decide to wait until later to purchase, I'd be happy to take you for a ride at a Renegade or NE-SVT/BSCC event so you can see what it feels like.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #177

If you will be running r-comps, then I suggest stiffer rates. I'm running 700/600 springs now, and I think it's just about perfect. The next step up from here is ~800/700, and I think that will be a bit too stiff. Keep in mind that I also daily drive this car on the street. :D

If you keep your front sway bar on there's a good chance you will get some understeer. If you leave the rear bar on, you'll lift the inside rear excessively. Both of these scenarios happened to me, so I'm back to stock sways now with high spring rates.

If you decide to wait until later to purchase, I'd be happy to take you for a ride at a Renegade or NE-SVT/BSCC event so you can see what it feels like.
Hmm, maybe 12k/11k or 12k/10k. I don't mind a stiff ride! All of the roads going to work are freshly paved :lol: I was expecting to ditch at least one bar due to the stiff rates.

Honestly I'm probably not going to bother getting my car weighed, but thanks for the help yazel. I dislike bringing my car to other people and giving them money for things they do with it :lol: Maybe I'll get some scales :naughty:

I'll probably order them in a few weeks once I get my tuning plans squared away (AP dongle arriving in the morning! :D ). I may take you up on that ride-along offer depending on when the events are held

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #178

The new AP dongle is further broken than my old one. My AP wont even turn on with the new one. With the old one it can't communicate with the ECU. One pin was a little bent on the new one so I figured that may be it and bent it back up a little, nope. I am disappoint. I even had it over-nighted because of how impatient I was with not being able to log or look at anything :banghead:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #180

I guess I have it nice having access to scales whenever I want... :)
Yeah I was looking at scales but I'd rather spend 1000 bucks on something else lol

Good news and bad news. The good news is that my co-driver is up to drive my car again this season and actually offered to pay for half the cost of the Hoosiers. Sweet!

The bad news is that I still have no AP dongle. I have nothing good to say about Cobb at the moment and I will leave it at that for now until the situation is resolved. My second dongle was supposed to arrive today, and it did according FedEx. My eye balls tell me different though, its not here :banghead: I checked my dads house as well since we have the same name, nope. This obviously may not be cobb's fault. This is getting quite frustrating

161 - 180 of 1253 Posts