IW STi Forum banner

121 - 140 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: I bought me a GoPro!

Some solid good news is that I have some tires to run for this coming summer. My friend who works for Mercedes nabbed some 235/45/17 toyo proxes 4's with about half of their life left, fo' free! They're all seasons but hey, saves me from blowing 600 bucks on tires. They'll be good for rainy auto-x days as well.
Nice! Any free tires are good tires.. if they aren't trashed.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Re: Willub's 04 STi: I bought me a GoPro!

Nice! Any free tires are good tires.. if they aren't trashed.
Luckily they came off an audi so the wear is pretty even!

My most recent fix for my fuel leak didn't help, still smelled fumes every time I came to a stop...but I fixed it tonight! I was finally able to spot the leaky line under the manifold. All I had to do was pull the a/c compressor and voila, access to all clamps on that side. I still had to use vise grips on the threads of each clamp to tighten them since the screw heads were all pointing down and away. So I tightened them up, and cycled the pump many times and no more leaks :) I can finally stop worrying about exploding. I also found that my lower rad hose was leaking a little bit at the radiator and confirmed that my passenger side valve cover gasket needs replacement. Not sure I want to replace the gasket though as I enjoy the smoke show coming out of my hood scoop every time I come to a stop :lol:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Cracked oil pickup tube?

Well, I drove the car 460 miles in a 24 hour period and everything was dandy. However since it has been extremely cold my oil pressure has been a little odd. It used to be right around 95 psi at a cold idle, which I've read is right where it should be. Recently after the cold week we had it has been around 75-80 then would slowly rise to 90. Cruising on the highway at 3k its at 65ish, which seems low to me. Hot idle is around 35psi. Luckily (I guess) my radio died about 100 miles in to my journey so I could clearly hear the engine the whole time and I never had any out of the ordinary sounds. I started the car up today and immediately heard a very light ticking sound, hopefully valve train. My oil pressure was at 70, and I shut the car off within 5 seconds of starting it. Does this sound like a small crack in the pickup? Either way I'm ordering one from KillerB tonight, I just wanted some thoughts as to what it may be. Thanks!

Edit: I checked my oil before the 460 miles of driving and it was fine but I did not have time to check it today as I was late for work. Will update on that when I get home, but I'm confident my oil level is ok.

·
Registered
815 Posts

Definitely do the Killer B pickup regardless. It is worth it for preventative reasons even if your stocker doesn't end up being bad.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #125

Definitely do the Killer B pickup regardless. It is worth it for preventative reasons even if your stocker doesn't end up being bad.
Yep, ordered it last night so hopefully it comes this week. I checked the oil level last night as well and it was at the low mark, but my driveway isn't flat so the ass end was lower than the front. Even at the low mark oil starvation shouldn't be an issue. I'm thinking it's just a hairline crack in the pickup. Unfortunately the car is at my mom's house with zero tools. Fortunately I have triple A and free towing for the first 100 miles or something so getting it to my garage isn't a problem. I really don't want to drop 4k on an engine right now :scurred:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

I feel ya on that one! I'm sure you know this but since you have mentioned oil level a couple times now, the oil level isn't going to tell you anything about the pickup tube. I assume you mention it as an indication (or lack) of bigger problems?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #127

Yeah I just thought my oil may have been low cause of the sound it was making. If it were off-the-dipstick low I would have just added some and seen if it went away. Like you mentioned though, I think I'm better off with the pickup tube being slightly cracked, if indeed it is. If it had drank tons of oil out of nowhere I'd be quite concerned. Either way I was planning on getting the KillerB tube. Probably getting her towed to the garage tomorrow afternoon

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #128 (Edited)

I got the car over to my garage and put it up on the lift late last night and the KillerB pickup arrived as well. The oil was taking forever to drain since the car was sitting outside, so I just let it drain overnight. I'm going to attempt dropping the pan without lifting the engine first, cause the sway bar is right in the way of the motor mount nuts and they are rusted on there pretty bad. I'd normally just grab a couple reducers and swivels and take them off with my air gun, but my friends managed to break them earlier that night :lol: So I went to auto zone for some oil and a filter and came across a cheap set of swivels so I can at least try and drop the pan without buying more tools. The only places that carry rotella around here sell it by the gallon only, so I'm always forced to buy two gallons of the stuff :banghead: Updates to come tonight, hopefully with a picture of a cracked pickup.

If everything goes well with the sti I'll be taking it up to a rallyx event at team O'Neil rally school on February 10th. Should be pretty sweet! Right now it looks like I'm going to miss the first SCCA autocross of the year, as I'll be in Hawaii. No complaints about that though! It doesn't look like I'll have my RPF1's until the end of April anyways.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

I got the car over to my garage and put it up on the lift late last night and the KillerB pickup arrived as well. The oil was taking forever to drain since the car was sitting outside, so I just let it drain overnight. I'm going to attempt dropping the pan without lifting the engine first, cause the sway bar is right in the way of the motor mount nuts and they are rusted on there pretty bad. I'd normally just grab a couple reducers and swivels and take them off with my air gun, but my friends managed to break them earlier that night :lol: So I went to auto zone for some oil and a filter and came across a cheap set of swivels so I can at least try and drop the pan without buying more tools. The only places that carry rotella around here sell it by the gallon only, so I'm always forced to buy two gallons of the stuff :banghead: Updates to come tonight, hopefully with a picture of a cracked pickup.
Nice! I will add a +1 to Matt's comment though - a cracked pickup shouldn't cause oil *loss*. If you're oil level is low, perhaps something else is going on. Do you run an AOS or catch can? I can't remember. Check the TMIC and see if there's oil inside it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #130

I think you missed this post v :) and I checked my oil and it wasn't too low

Yeah I just thought my oil may have been low cause of the sound it was making. If it were off-the-dipstick low I would have just added some and seen if it went away. Like you mentioned though, I think I'm better off with the pickup tube being slightly cracked, if indeed it is. If it had drank tons of oil out of nowhere I'd be quite concerned. Either way I was planning on getting the KillerB tube. Probably getting her towed to the garage tomorrow afternoon
I was using a catch can, and tried it for both the valve cover vents and PCV system separately with no luck catching any oil really so I pulled it out. My metal tube bolted to the IC is basically a catch can :lol:

On to my experience of dropping the oil pan. Many naughty words were said.

So far it's been a nightmare. It started out awful last night when I was draining the oil. My oil drain pan has a screen in it to catch debris and whatnot, so I just spin the drain plug out of the oil pan and let it fall in to the drain pan so I dont get covered in oil. After I had done that I did the same with the oil filter, but when the filter fell it somehow vibrated this screen loose and my drain plug is now at the bottom of my drain pan, which holds 8 gallons. Good start.

My car's mileage is showing now. First I tried getting to the back bolts without doing anything, wasn't gonna happen. So I had to loosen the motor mount nuts. This would have been easy if the stock sway was up front but the whiteline 24mm is just big enough so you cant get a straight shot at them. These things were encrusted on so I needed to move the bar. I unbolted the bar mounts and took off the mount and bushing which allowed enough movement so I could get the 1/2 inch drive socket and extension on and use the airgun. First nut, zzzzzzzzzzzzzing, completely rounded it off :censored: I moved the sway bar so that would NOT happen. So I went to the other one and it came off no problem. I lift the motor up from the manifold crosspipe more towards the side that was loose and got enough clearance to get to the back bolts. I immediately lost the 1/4 inch swivel I had just bought, so I was forced to use a 3/8 drive. It worked out ok and I got the bolts out. I hit the pan with a deadblow a couple times and it popped right off.

I lowered the car and removed the dipstick tube retaining bolt and attempted to pull the tube out. It was not moving at all, so I lifted the car back up and tried twisting it with some vice grips and it didnt even budge. Wat. I remember taking this thing out of another subaru and it took 5 seconds with no force. It took me an hour to get this thing out. I ended up clamping a pair of vice grips on to it (basically squeezing the tube shut) and sticking a huge screw driver up against those to bash it out with a hammer. It was slightly rusted in place.

Three frustrating hours after I started, the pickup is out.

This looks like it could be the start of a crack or a hairline crack that is expanding under stress, who knows.

Now I just need a dipstick tube, some o-rings and three bond.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Oil pickup is out

I'm doing the killer b pan/pick up soon as it comes in. Tell your dad nice cuda. I have a 68 formula s,72 and 73 cuda along with a roadrunner and duster. My sti just don't fit in.

Did the new tube fix your oil pressure issue?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #133

I'm doing the killer b pan/pick up soon as it comes in. Tell your dad nice cuda. I have a 68 formula s,72 and 73 cuda along with a roadrunner and duster. My sti just don't fit in.

Did the new tube fix your oil pressure issue?
Awesome! I was in to muscle cars when I was younger, and still am but they don't work as a DD. Especially up here in mass and I have no money for another vehicle. I went the import route and bought an 87 rx7 turbo right when I turned 16 :lol:

Wow I completely missed that post - my bad! :lol:

Is the new pickup in? :D
:lol: All good. It's not in yet, I was furious that night and have not been back in my garage. I decided to actually use my only day off as a day off and relax. I went to the dealer Saturday though and they didn't have a new dipstick tube in stock anyways. It will be in Tuesday. They also only had three bond in the huge caulking gun tubes, so I didn't bother asking how much that would cost as a normal sized tube is 40 bucks. I'll just use some permatex stuff specifically made for oil pans and valve covers. I'll slap the new pickup in tomorrow along with the pan, then I'll add the oil and plop dipstick tube in Tuesday. I still can't believe how rusted in place that tube was. I'm also going to get the rounded motor mount nut off just to save some hassle in the future and to make the pan install easier.

Unrelated update on the GoPro, it works really well. I brought it up to Maine last sunday to get some snowmobile footage. The battery died pretty quick though so I only got about 30 minutes of total footage, recording on 1080p 60fps. I'll be testing it out on my car up at the team o'neil test and tune rally x this coming Sunday, can't wait!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #134

The new pickup is in and it's all back together! Just letting the sealant cure overnight before I dump the earl in. My dipstick tube was just as much of a pain to get back in, and I still don't think it's fully seated. The piece on the pan itself is basically rotting away. If I have a sealing issue there I may just get the KillerB unit.

Also, I ordered some Enkei RPF1's in 17x9.5 +38 last night :D AutoRnD was getting some from Enkei in 5x100 so they contacted yazel, the OP of our group buy that was originally going to be done through tire rack. The only downside is that they will not arrive until May/June. Something to look forward to I guess :)

I will update in the morning with news on my oil pressure situation

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

The new pickup is in and it's all back together! Just letting the sealant cure overnight before I dump the earl in. My dipstick tube was just as much of a pain to get back in, and I still don't think it's fully seated. The piece on the pan itself is basically rotting away. If I have a sealing issue there I may just get the KillerB unit.

Also, I ordered some Enkei RPF1's in 17x9.5 +38 last night :D AutoRnD was getting some from Enkei in 5x100 so they contacted yazel, the OP of our group buy that was originally going to be done through tire rack. The only downside is that they will not arrive until May/June. Something to look forward to I guess :)

I will update in the morning with news on my oil pressure situation
Those will be awesome wheels. Any ideas on tire selections yet?

Interesting to hear about the dipstick. Be sure that the lower o-rings are on in place. I know KillerB recommends a bit of fuji bond around the lower dipstick portion where it goes into the pan to prevent any leaks. However the factory o-rings should be fine as it's not sealed from the factory and I believe KillerB only recommends it as a "just in case" type of thing. When I re-seated mine I grabbed part of it with my right hand, and pushed down from the top with my left. As long as it appears to be all the way in and the bracket lines up with the bolt hole, you should be fine. Luckily this can always be removed later on if needed without needing to remove the pan.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #136

Those will be awesome wheels. Any ideas on tire selections yet?

Interesting to hear about the dipstick. Be sure that the lower o-rings are on in place. I know KillerB recommends a bit of fuji bond around the lower dipstick portion where it goes into the pan to prevent any leaks. However the factory o-rings should be fine as it's not sealed from the factory and I believe KillerB only recommends it as a "just in case" type of thing. When I re-seated mine I grabbed part of it with my right hand, and pushed down from the top with my left. As long as it appears to be all the way in and the bracket lines up with the bolt hole, you should be fine. Luckily this can always be removed later on if needed without needing to remove the pan.
For now I'm going to run 245/40 kumho v710's cause they're cheaper than the hoosiers and last longer from what I've heard. Only 245's for now because I'd need coilovers for anything wider.

I'm guessing you were able to grab the tube at the bottom because your headers were off right? I could hardly get a couple fingers near the damned thing :lol: I didn't need to take my stock manifolds off to do the job and I knew once those heatshields came off, they weren't going back on. Right now I'm not worried about it as I have a bigger issue :(

So I filled it up with oil and pulled the IGN fuse so I could crank it over for a while and make sure everything was primed. Started it up and the same noise was present. This time I just left the car running as nothing could be done at this point. My oil pressure is now back to normal at least, 95ish psi at a cold idle and around 40 psi at a warm idle at 850 rpm. It sounded like rod knock to me, aka spun bearing. I left it running and messed with stuff trying to see if the noise was something vibrating (desperation :lol:). After about a minute of running the noise slowly went away. Keep in mind my oil pressure is exactly where it should be. I drove the car outside and let it idle up to temp, revved it in neutral and couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary. I drove the car to my moms house and it was fine, no noises, solid oil pressure and it drove 100% normal. I know it could still be a spun bearing, since they can make zero noticeable noise. I found no signs of metal in my oil pan or anywhere when I was swapping pickups as well.

I'm not sure what to do. If I had the money I'd probably just throw a new shortblock in, but I don't. Any advice would be greatly appreciated at this point. I'm going to drive it to work and see if the noise comes back when I leave, when the engine is cold. If it does it looks like I'll be selling my snowmobile and getting a new engine :( Oh well, these past winters have sucked anyways :lol:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Oil pressure issue is fixed, but...

I'm gonna have lots of spare parts if you need anything! Can I interest you in a "lightly used" short block? ;) It just needs a little TLC lol.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #138

I'm gonna have lots of spare parts if you need anything! Can I interest you in a "lightly used" short block? ;) It just needs a little TLC lol.
I'd just need to unfuse the pieces of piston melted into the cylinder wall right? :lol:

We'll see what happens tonight. I really want to do this rally x. I'm seriously considering going (probably won't) even if it is a spun bearing, even at the cost of my heads and punching a rod through the block. No guts no glory! Oh and right when I say this winter has sucked they forecast 15-20 inches for Friday LOL.

A few questions for spun bearing experts that may happen to read this. Is there a way that a spun bearing won't cause an oil pressure drop? Does a spun bearing always result with metal in the oil pan/filter? I've always thought yes, but maybe there are some rare occurrences. Also are there any other possibilities this noise may be coming from? Such as oil not making it to a head and the cam lobes dryly smacking the buckets? I'm trying to exhaust all possibilities before dropping tons of money.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)

I'm now thinking it may be a wrist pin, due to only half of the symptoms of a spun bearing adding up.

Edit: If the noise returns tonight, and I'm quite sure it will, I'll pull the motor and pull the pistons. I should be able to tell if it's a wrist pin once I get the heads off. I may be able to save this thing

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #140

Started it up after it sat outside for 6 hours in 30 degree temps and no knocking. Now I'm stuck in somewhat of a grey area :banghead: I hate grey areas, they suck. I THINK I could hear a very faint sound but it may not have been anything. I'll let it sit outside overnight and see what's what in the morning. If there is no noise, I may just say screw it and run the motor till I get a definite issue. Yes I know this means I will probably need new everything when it finally goes, but I'm not willing to put tons of time and money I don't have in to something that may be fine.

121 - 140 of 1253 Posts