IW STi Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,221
Re: Willub's 04 SM STi: Back to racing

Hmmm... Perhaps I should try more. Maybe next year. I think I am only planning on two more events this year.
If my car is raceable for the next event, I'll definitely be adding quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,222

Well hello! I have hardly touched the STI since it developed an oil leak. I decided to start it up the other day and as I was pressing the clutch pedal in to crank it, I heard a loud pop and felt something let go/move. The clutch seems to work fine, and it feels okay. I just hope a finger didn't break off the pressure plate or something. I'm hoping it was just the throw out bearing shifting around. Other than that it's running fine, just leaky. Hopefully just a cam seal. Once I fix the leak, I plan on tuning the car. I've had an unused v3 AP hanging around for 1.5 years now :lol: It sucks that Cobb now requires passing a course to unlock ATR, but maybe I'll learn some things. The main purpose of a new tune will be to raise the rev limiter a bit, and get rid of the soft limiter. More power will be welcome as well, since the old tune was kept safe to preserve the 142k mile original motor. I won't be bothering with e85 just yet. It would require too many changes that I currently don't want to spend money on, and it's just not convenient. Time to pick up a wideband!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,223

Since racing starts back up in a few weeks I figured I'd check out the STi. The oil leak has seemed to stop, or slow down to the point where it doesn't bother me. None of the timing components have oil on them, and that's all I was really concerned with. I decided to check out the air filter that's been stuck in the passenger side wheel arch for a few years now. The downside of an exposed filter!

Nice and clean on the inside though.

I'll be cleaning it and oiling it up before racing starts.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,224

I attended the first event of the season on 4/9. The battery is completely dead in the STi, so I raced my '16 WRX. The last time I raced it, it was 90+ degrees out. Not so much fun on OEM tires. This time it was much more enjoyable. I ran it in street mod even though it's stock, minus the muffler deletes. At the end of the day I got 1st in class, as my normal competition was not there. I was only 1.2 seconds behind a good driver in a D street prepped Scion FR-S, who placed 8th in PAX out of 133 drivers. With some autocross worthy rubber and an alignment, I'm quite confident I could compete with that. D street finally has some competition this year now that the some FR-S's were bumped out of CS. I'm always on the fence about selling the STi, and now I have a mortgage to pay. :( :lol: Here is my fastest run of the day.

In other news, my girlfriend has joined the Subaru world! She bought a 2015 WRX Premium last week. Now to get her racing :devil:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,225
Re: Willub's 04 SM STi: National Tour and WBM stuff

Well, a lot has changed since my last update. I traded in my WRX for a Forester, did some more house things, and got married!

Enough with the boring stuff and on to racing. I think I've done two events since the last update. Last weekend was the Devens Champ Tour. Long story short, I didn't drive so well, but finished where I probably should have. It was nice competing with a couple Subaru guys that do well at Nationals. It inspires me to keep moving forward with my car. I actually tried to get my car aligned before this big event, but the local shop I trust was booked a couple weeks out and couldn't get me in on time. The camera didn't work on the first day. Here's my fastest dirty run from day 2. I fudged up the second slalom real good.

I'll be attending Wicked Big Meet for the first time this weekend and I'll be doing the autocross. I've heard it's sketchy, so we'll see how that goes. I want that trophy and gift card! :D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Gonna make you work for it! Also, if GS credit is what you are looking for let me know what you need!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
694 Posts

Well, a lot has changed since my last update. I traded in my WRX for a Forester, did some more house things, and got married!

Enough with the boring stuff and on to racing. I think I've done two events since the last update. Last weekend was the Devens Champ Tour. Long story short, I didn't drive so well, but finished where I probably should have. It was nice competing with a couple Subaru guys that do well at Nationals. It inspires me to keep moving forward with my car. I actually tried to get my car aligned before this big event, but the local shop I trust was booked a couple weeks out and couldn't get me in on time. The camera didn't work on the first day. Here's my fastest dirty run from day 2. I fudged up the second slalom real good.

movie

I'll be attending Wicked Big Meet for the first time this weekend and I'll be doing the autocross. I've heard it's sketchy, so we'll see how that goes. I want that trophy and gift card! :D
Damn I want to race now.
Looks like a fun course... driving looked good from what could be seen from the side!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,228

Damn I want to race now.
Looks like a fun course... driving looked good from what could be seen from the side!
It was a fun, fast course! I should have been in third for part of it, but the one time I tried to get the car in to third, it went in to first after a lot of fighting. This has been a past issue that I am currently addressing. I installed the beatrush transmission mount and kartboy shifter bushings last night. Getting in to third on the street is fine. The problem occurs when cornering hard or going flat out in second and trying to shift quickly. Hopefully taking care of some more slop will help!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,229
Re: Willub's 04 SM STi: WBM and stuff

Oh, hey. Recap of the last 10ish months. Wicked big meet was fun. I got 2nd overall at the auto cross event, losing FTD to fellow member and autocrosser, mickle. I had the fastest scratch time, but I love hitting cones! I also traded in my forester for this.

It’s much more useful and I’ll be able to tow the sti around once I get a trailer.

First event of the season is this Sunday! I’m planning on just running my street tires for at least the first half of the season. My race tires are pretty much hopeless at this point. I may buy new ones at some point this year. It depends on how things play out.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,230 (Edited)
Re: Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: Wicked Big Meet ‘18

I’ll be gunning for FTD at the Wicked Big Meet autocross this year. Anyone from these forums competing?

·
Registered
707 Posts

I'll be attending but not competing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,232

Wicked big meet was fun once again. I ended up getting FTD at the autocross and winning some stuff. Luckily the rain held off until the event was over. Driving home in the sti in pouring rain was interesting! Made it there and back with no issues though. Here’s my FTD run.

And a link to the results

Final Raw Time Results

·
Registered
707 Posts

I was in the stands watching and rooting for what I hope was you.
Many of those guys don't even try.
Congrats on fastest time of the day.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Yeah, I saw the corner worker walk out and just barely correct the cone. You got lucky sir. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,235

I was in the stands watching and rooting for what I hope was you.
Many of those guys don't even try.
Congrats on fastest time of the day.

Thanks! It’s definitely not the most competitive crowd. At least half of the drivers raised their hand on when the guy running things asked if it was anyone’s first autocross.

Yeah, I saw the corner worker walk out and just barely correct the cone. You got lucky sir. Congrats!

Indeed! That last section was major ass. Slow with canyon sized cracks in the pavement.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

They definitely seemed to be trying to keep the speeds down some more this year. No less sketchy though lol. And yeah, that rear infield section sucks. I remember seeing that rock sticking out that they just paved around!

·
Registered
707 Posts

The problem of not fixing tracks isn't limited to Stafford tho. In all of my track driving lots of places don't want to spend the time down and the money to fix issues. It is only when the racing community goes into an uproar and stops visiting their tracks do they do something.

For instance turn 12 of Loudon has a huge divot just inside the curbing and that been known to wreck wheels of those that get off of the pavement, and the infield of pocono, had to be repaved because it had a huge bump coming from the infield to the outfield.

That is why tracks like Barber, and VIR get such praise, because they put the money into the tracks to repair and upgrade them.

Heck even Watkins Glen did a major overhaul a couple of year ago (And then jacked up the prices)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,238

I found a small puddle of oil under my car when I was preparing for another autocross. It had been leaking a little before, but nothing like this. I decided to skip the autocross and find the problem. Luckily it turned out to be the seal between the oil cooler and block. I was fearing a cam seal or some other PITA. New seal and 20 minutes later, fixed! On to another autocross this Sunday.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,239

Update, I bought things I didn't really need to.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Update, I bought things I didn't really need to.

Add some extra mirror material on the bottom to meet minimum reflective surface rule.

1221 - 1240 of 1253 Posts