18,254 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 SM STi: It's alive!

your cruise is blinking.

Edit: :D

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Yeah that was just from the "blow-by sensor" being unplugged. All better now! Running great so far.
Sweet!! When is the first event you'll get to do with the new motor?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,206

Hells yeah! I took it to work today without issue, besides the fact that my tiny 4 pound battery is dying. I'm going with the "hard break-in" method. I let it warm up to operating temp. Cruised for a a mile or two and then immediately began giving it the beans. No crazy high RPM's, just some boost and lots of engine braking. I'll eventually post an update of what new parts went in and all that stuff too. I'm only running wastegate pressure right now for boost, but that's still 17-18 psi on the 1.5XTR. My plan for the event this Sunday is to take things easy and use it as a shakedown event. I won't be bouncing off the limiter like usual... maybe. :lol:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Nice. "Take things easy", heh, we'll see.

I just signed up so the kiddo doesn't distract me.and make me forget when I get home. Don't want to miss this one. Will be my first NER event this year too. At least I did sneak in one event with RMC so I won't be totally rusty. Gotta show a 370Z what's up.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,208

Nice. "Take things easy", heh, we'll see.

I just signed up so the kiddo doesn't distract me.and make me forget when I get home. Don't want to miss this one. Will be my first NER event this year too. At least I did sneak in one event with RMC so I won't be totally rusty. Gotta show a 370Z what's up.
Woot! Damned Nissan's thinking they're fast and stuff. Wait... :lol:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,211
Re: Willub's 04 SM STi: Success!

Mission, success! It didn't blow up. Felt good to be back racing. As you can tell in the video, I'm not too comfortable in the car! It was very slideyslidey. Running the least amount of camber in the rear doesn't help. I think I will finally have the car aligned this year. I say this every year. I ran my street tires as well since I arrived somewhat late and had to get tech'd. Coming in first was not my main goal for this event, though it would have been nice.

After my morning runs I noticed that my CEL came on as I was pulling up to grid. I raced anyway without checking the code and the car felt fine. Upon checking the codes it was a misfire for cylinders 3 and 4. Strange. I think it has to do with the fact that my battery is junk and is hardly starting (and sometimes not) the car. I'll get a new battery and reset the ECU. The car was great all weekend, aside from power steering issues. I ended up getting 2nd out of 6 in class, losing to ze Panda. Next event will be full race mode and 21 PSI of glory.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Mission, success! It didn't blow up. Felt good to be back racing. As you can tell in the video, I'm not too comfortable in the car! It was very slideyslidey. Running the least amount of camber in the rear doesn't help. I think I will finally have the car aligned this year. I say this every year. I ran my street tires as well since I arrived somewhat late and had to get tech'd. Coming in first was not my main goal for this event, though it would have been nice.

movie

After my morning runs I noticed that my CEL came on as I was pulling up to grid. I raced anyway without checking the code and the car felt fine. Upon checking the codes it was a misfire for cylinders 3 and 4. Strange. I think it has to do with the fact that my battery is junk and is hardly starting (and sometimes not) the car. I'll get a new battery and reset the ECU. The car was great all weekend, aside from power steering issues. I ended up getting 2nd out of 6 in class, losing to ze Panda. Next event will be full race mode and 21 PSI of glory.
There ya go! Good to hear it made it back out there, you too for that matter. G'luck on the next race!

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,213

Another successful autocross this past Sunday. The car did start leaking a bit of oil after the first race. It's coming from the oil cooler. It has always leaked a bit. No biggie!

I left the boost controller disconnected again so I was only hitting 17ish PSI. Still plenty of power. My main competition was missing from this event (the car at least). I slapped on the race tires anyway just to get used to racing on them again. I forgot how big of a difference they make! Anywho, I took first place by 6 seconds or so, since my competition was a D street prepped Mini. Another regular that drives a Legacy GT registered in SM, but it seems his car broke after one run and it had to be towed home. There was also a pretty neat built GC Impreza from Quebec registered in SM, but they registered as "Pro". They have a build thread on that other Subaru forum I believe. Never got a chance to talk to them.

Here's my fastest run with one cone.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,214
Re: Willub's 04 SM STi: Back to racing

Oh, hello there! It's been a little while so here are some quick updates.

I raced the new WRX a little while back. Considering how hot it was, and that the stock tires suck, it was alright! Once it gets heat soaked, the lag is baaaaad. The ECU must pull a butt load of timing or something. Mickle was driving it as well. I believe he had one word for it. "Awful." :lol: I forgot to turn traction control off for my first 2 or 3 runs, which sucked. I managed to get 3rd out of 6 for the day in street mod, just barely missing 2nd place. No video unfortunately, as I forgot my camera.

I raced the STi a little while back as well. I found that my oil leak is actually coming from inside the timing cover, so that's neat. I raced the car for the day anyway. My only fear is that some oil will make it's way to the timing belt. I'll be pulling it apart this weekend to see what's going on. Here's video from that event. I took first for the day in SM, but didn't drive well. Constantly catching myself not looking ahead far enough. I need to do more of this racing stuff!

I was going to race mickle's STi this past Saturday, but got some sort of stomach bug the morning of the race. I really wanted to feel some aero and an actual diff! Oh well. Maybe next time. :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,215

I also found that I'm hitting an "overboost" limiter, or fuel cut. When I was running the stock turbo, the car would bounce off the limiter in normal fashion with boost around 13-14 psi at redline. With the 1.5XTR, boost is much higher at redline and a different limiter is being hit. This limiter is a huge PITA and I will be sure to have it fixed with a new tune once I go the E85 route.

Also, pictures!

Need moar front cambar.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,217

Slam that thing in the front, -4.5 all day
Yeah. I'm probably at -3.5 right now. I really just need to get the car aligned so I don't have to guess. Countless suspension swaps/changes over the years. Zero alignments. :lol:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

I believe I have been running about -3.5 up front for a bit now. But yeah, you need to get it aligned or at least buy some toe plates and a camber gauge and get it close yourself.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,219

I believe I have been running about -3.5 up front for a bit now. But yeah, you need to get it aligned or at least buy some toe plates and a camber gauge and get it close yourself.
Yes indeed. After reading a lot of threads on camber, it seems most people with ASP and SM Subarus run around -4.5 to as much as possible lol. It's nice to finally see pictures of the car on course and see that the front needs more.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Hmmm... Perhaps I should try more. Maybe next year. I think I am only planning on two more events this year.

1201 - 1220 of 1253 Posts