IW STi Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1253 Posts

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Re: Willub's 04ish 1.5XTR SM STi: De-modding!!!! Wait, wut.

have a friend rebuilding an engine, i'll see if he's looking to upgrade his VF48 at the same time.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

PM me what you want for them.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,083

Done, thanks Drew! It's an awesome turbo. If the car ends up back in SM at some point (it will, more than likely) it will be an all or nothing sort of thing. The 7163 with .85 A/R looks nice for National style courses :) Peak torque around 4000 rpm and 500+ WHP? Yes please.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,084

I have the used stock drive shaft and I received the V3 Accessport today. I have some swapping to do this weekend! I suppose I could plop the stock airbox and EBCS in and just load in a Cobb OTS stage 2 map. Hrmmmm. It would be interesting to see how that feels after having a good tune with a bigger turbo :lol:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,085

I have the used stock drive shaft and I received the V3 Accessport today. I have some swapping to do this weekend! I suppose I could plop the stock airbox and EBCS in and just load in a Cobb OTS stage 2 map. Hrmmmm. It would be interesting to see how that feels after having a good tune with a bigger turbo :lol:
Well I got lazy with the car, then went on vacation. Next race is this coming sunday I believe. I also remembered I can't just put those stock parts on and load an OTS map. I forgot I have bigger injectors :lol: I do have a map with corrected injector scaling though, so I think I'm going to try using that map and see how things are and probably attempt tuning the car a bit more before Sunday. If I'm happy with it and it doesn't blow up I'll race it. If I can't get things right before Sunday I may try and schedule a tune with Bren for Saturday, but I'm guessing he's busy. I also found the correct oil feed line/banjo fitting I need for the vf39, right after I ordered a new one :lol: Oh well.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Wait what? You were building it up so nicely over the last few years. I hear ya tho, life can make everything take a back seat sometimes and you want to just relax from it all. Hope everything works out putting it back to stock. If you need someone to slang parts to, I'm representing the farthest state away from you... :)

cheers

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,088

Wait what? You were building it up so nicely over the last few years. I hear ya tho, life can make everything take a back seat sometimes and you want to just relax from it all. Hope everything works out putting it back to stock. If you need someone to slang parts to, I'm representing the farthest state away from you... :)

cheers
Yeah, but at least it's not far beyond ASP trim. Turbo, drive shaft, rear seat back in, some little pieces of fender liner and its an ASP car. I will probably go back to SM when the motor needs to be replaced. This week maybe? :rofl:

·
Registered
348 Posts

Yeah, but at least it's not far beyond ASP trim. Turbo, drive shaft, rear seat back in, some little pieces of fender liner and its an ASP car. I will probably go back to SM when the motor needs to be replaced. This week maybe? :rofl:
You're right, ASP might be a good move? Just trying to make it "streetable" again or less work for yourself?
As for the motor.... *slaps forehead*

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,090

You're right, ASP might be a good move? Just trying to make it "streetable" again or less work for yourself?
As for the motor.... *slaps forehead*
The car is quite streetable as is, but I hardly drive it anymore so I could care less how streetable it is anyway lol. The main reasons to do it are to be more competitive and to put a spending cap on myself and the car :lol:

·
Registered
348 Posts

Well that's good at least. Your roads must be better than the pothole bumpy ones here to be able to do that. Or run really soft springs for the monster tires. 295?

Your STi laughs at your spending cap....

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,092

Well that's good at least. Your roads must be better than the pothole bumpy ones here to be able to do that. Or run really soft springs for the monster tires. 295?

Your STi laughs at your spending cap....
They're decent around where I live, but are generally pretty bad in Mass. Cracked a wheel in my first car driving around here! My street tires are 275's and I run 600/550 spring rates :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,093
Re: Willub's 04 SM STi: Messing with stuff

Ready to race for tomorrow! I put the stock turbo back on a week or two ago. I was missing a few things so mickle let me drive his car at the previous NER event. I'll upload video and write about that whenever I update about tomorrow's event.

I don't have a tune for the stock turbo with all of the other mods I have. The 850cc injectors being the main issue. I wasn't going to swap injectors just to run an OTS stage 2 tune. I decided to keep running Bren Tuning's tune, and see what happens. I disconnected the lines from the grimmspeed EBCS and ran a vac line from the compressor housing straight to the wastegate, to limit my boost to wastegate pressure. After fixing a few leaks I took the car for a drive and everything looked good while I was monitoring knock and AFR. Max boost I could achieve was around 11 PSI. :tup:

Now it was time to see what would happen if I were to connect the EBCS. The wastegate spring pressure in a Dom 1.5 is 18lbs or something like that. 21 PSI is what I would normally see for max boost with the 1.5. So the EBCS was only allowing another 3ish PSI before allowing the wastegate to open. So since the wastegate pressure for a vf39 is around 11lbs, would my max boost with the EBCS hooked up now be around 14-15? Or would it go all the way to 21? I'm not too sure how the boost controller works. Time to find out! After a few pulls while monitoring things, my max boost was around 15 PSI. Sweet! Nice and safe for not being fully tuned, and the car still makes decent power. Hopefully it doesn't blow up tomorrow!

I'll try and give an update tomorrow night :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,094
Re: Willub's 04 SM STi: Messing with stuff

I'll start with the event where my car was apart, and I drove mickle's STi. The event didn't go so well for me. I spun the car on the first run (100% my fault), second run was going ok but had to stop for humans in my path, and I spun the car again on the re-run as I had an instructor pushing me to go WOT through a slalom. It was a fast slalom, but it wasn't THAT fast :lol: In the afternoon I couldn't stay away from cones. I was up close to two seconds over my competitor, but blew it by coming into a slalom too hot on my last run and nailing a cone. I came in second by .07 seconds or something because of the cone. I need to learn how to take it down a notch and keep things clean!

On to the latest event. This was points event number 7 out of 9, and I'm in a good battle for first in SM for the season with Jo-jo in the national champ pandamobile. I think all of my second place finishes to her have been because of a cone, and that wasn't about to change. I was back in my car with the stock turbo, with a tune for a bigger turbo. Though I lost a lot on the top end, the car felt great. One funny thing that happened was that my rev limiter changed. I used to have a soft limiter that just closed the throttle a bit and was terrible for autocrossing. At this event I had the normal limiter that everyone is so used to hearing. It startled me the first time it happened and I think the limiter is set at 7500! You can hear it around the 34 second mark in my run. I think this is due to the lack of boost at such high rpm.

Anyway, I thought I took the win for the day with that last run. It was clean... for about an hour. When I came in to grid it was announced clean and I was quite sure I didn't hit any cones. It wasn't until later that night that I checked the live results and saw that a +1 had been added to my last run. :banghead: Just give me hope, then snatch it away! So with those two second place finishes I think I'm behind the SM season points leader by 4 points. I basically need to come in first at the next two events to secure the season win. We'll see how it plays out :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,095
Re: Willub's 04 SM STi: New suspension!

Thanks yazel! :D

The next race is this coming Sunday. I'd love to get them on before then. More details later :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 SM STi: New suspension!?

what what?
NICE!!!! Now you really have no excuses. Get out there and put a whoopin on Mickle. :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,098

what what?
NICE!!!! Now you really have no excuses. Get out there and put a whoopin on Mickle. :D
Pffft, I'm down about 75 HP over my previous setup. I always have a bag full of excuses! :lol: The car is surprisingly quick despite running stock boost levels. Probably as quick as an OTS stage 2 car. Also, Mickle informed me that this event is on Saturday, not Sunday. I'm not going to risk trying to slap the JRZ's on before then. The main reason I'm hesitant about bolting them on is the external canisters. I have to route the lines in a way that they avoid my tires and then decide where I want the canister. Yazel had the fronts mounted behind the front bumper near the fog covers. I would do that, but since I don't run fender liners I don't want the things to get destroyed by rocks/sand/water. I may just send them in to the engine bay, despite the heat. I'll probably route the rears in to the trunk.

I'm excited to see how different the JRZ's are compared to the FA 500's. Current springs on them are 9k/8k. I'm going to leave those on for now and just focus on dialing in ride height and stuff since I have yet to run coilovers like these.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Pffft, I'm down about 75 HP over my previous setup. I always have a bag full of excuses!
Worry less about the HP and more about the cones!

I may just send them in to the engine bay, despite the heat. I'll probably route the rears in to the trunk.
I'm just asking here (cause I don't know), is the heat really an issue for AutoX? By the time thing heat up wouldn't the run be over? Do they heat soak enough to retain the heat between runs and continue to rise in temps? I would think overheating them would be more of a track issue, no?

·
Registered
348 Posts

I hear ya on install. Dave had a Pikes Peak Rally STi built with AST 5300's a few years ago. He routed them inside the engine bay slightly above and on the side of the towers, not sure how JRZ's fit but it's a possible way to go and would save time on fabbing something up in the fenders. Plus they are really easy to get to and adjust if needed this way. Best of luck going forward!

1081 - 1100 of 1253 Posts