IW STi Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Willub's 04ish 1.5XTR SM STi: New Daily Driver!

I don't recall reading in your thread off hand, but what boost are you running at peak and then to red line? I know for my setup the tuner went to 19.5 for peak and a taper to 18.5 by 6500, if that can even be called a taper... lol. In my completely unprofessional opinion, this is how the car should have come from new. RCE T2 suspension, ELH, and Blouch 1.5XT-R. Well, and the rest of the fun goodies to go along with it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,002
Re: Willub's 04ish 1.5XTR SM STi: New Daily Driver!

I don't recall reading in your thread off hand, but what boost are you running at peak and then to red line? I know for my setup the tuner went to 19.5 for peak and a taper to 18.5 by 6500, if that can even be called a taper... lol. In my completely unprofessional opinion, this is how the car should have come from new. RCE T2 suspension, ELH, and Blouch 1.5XT-R. Well, and the rest of the fun goodies to go along with it.
Peak boost for me is up around 21 and I'm not sure what it tapers to. It doesn't taper much though, similar to your tune. Make a journal!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Re: Willub's 04ish 1.5XTR SM STi: All good things must end.

Poop. I hope that it goes to a good home if it really does leave!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,008
Re: Willub's 04ish 1.5XTR SM STi: All good things must end.

What if I hound my boss again? He's a bit like a FWD car, slow to get any traction.
Well a job would certainly help lol! Seriously though, that would be much appreciated even if he doesn't entertain the idea. I figured he had given up on the idea of replacing whoever. Not having a job sucks. Starting to consider going back to school for a couple years for a 4 year degree.

I don't think the car will go anywhere quickly as it's going to require a specific buyer, and I don't plan on selling it dirt cheap, yet.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,009
Re: Willub's 04ish 1.5XTR SM STi: All good things must... continue!

The STi is not going anywhere any time soon :) With the help of mickle, I am employed once more. I am still considering selling the EVO in the spring time though. It's an awesome backup car for autocross if (ok... when) the Subaru goes down, but kind of silly as a commuter.

I finally got around to installing my beatrush motor mounts I've had lying around for about a year :lol: That was a fun job! No more worries about shearing a mount while using LC next season at least :tup:

Priorities before April mainly include brakes. I'll be getting some SS lines and flushing everything out of what's in it now. Hopefully this will cure the mushy pedal. Then it will be time to order some tires and springs :D

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Re: Willub's 04ish 1.5XTR SM STi: Beatrush motor mounts finally installed!

good to hear on both accounts!
1.) new job!!
2.) keeping the STI!!

·
Registered
348 Posts

Awww yea, glad to hear this buddy. Congrats on the new job and keeping the beast!

cheers!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,012

good to hear on both accounts!
1.) new job!!
2.) keeping the STI!!
Awww yea, glad to hear this buddy. Congrats on the new job and keeping the beast!

cheers!
Thanks doods.

Swapped over the tone ring and spacer over to the new axle today.

The new axle is noticeably not as beefy in the center, but the stock axle tapers down once it enters the axle boots. I'm not too worried about it since it's a front. We'll find out if it can withstand some launching :)

·
Registered
657 Posts

Thanks doods.

Swapped over the tone ring and spacer over to the new axle today.

Image Link

The new axle is noticeably not as beefy in the center, but the stock axle tapers down once it enters the axle boots. I'm not too worried about it since it's a front. We'll find out if it can withstand some launching :)

That's the exact reason my mechanic wouldn't install my surtrack one. He thought it looked too weak and didn't want to put it on. Lol let us know how it holds up!

Congrats on the new job!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts

Both my front axles are from advance...right one is a surtrac, cant remember what the left one is. Have taken many launches and extreme abuse. (Fields, deep mud, ditches)

Have noticed a good amount of surface rust but they seem to be rolling good...for now

·
Registered
657 Posts

Damn farm boss. I was reading your thread all day yesterday from the start and that car is so clean!

When did you decide to turn it back into a rally car?! Lol good to know that awd system isn't being wasted tho...

Either way I have a used OEM one I'm gonna put in. Then when that one goes I'll still have this rock auto cheapie one just in case

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,016

That's the exact reason my mechanic wouldn't install my surtrack one. He thought it looked too weak and didn't want to put it on. Lol let us know how it holds up!

Congrats on the new job!
Really? That's lame. The only place I've heard of them snapping is on the splined section that goes through the hub, which has to be the same thickness as the original. I've never heard of it happening to a front either, so I'm not concerned.

Thanks!

Good to know farmboss. We'll see how they handle launching on big sticky R-comps :)

Spring is in the air!

Wait... no it's still winter. :( I decided to go with some 11k 8 inch springs from swift to replace the current 10k front FA springs. I'll be swapping the 10k springs to the rear. A closer split should give me some more rotation, which the car definitely needs due to the lack of a rear sway bar.

I also installed some goodridge SS brake lines and replaced most of the fluid with some ATE typ 200, or something like that. The ATE blue that isn't blue anymore :lol: I haven't driven it yet so I can't say what has changed. I'm sure I'll need to bleed them again after some driving as well.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

11k 10k is the spring rates i'll be going with too. Are you running no rear bar at all?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,018

11k 10k is the spring rates i'll be going with too. Are you running no rear bar at all?
It's still up there lol, just took off an end link. The higher rear spring rates may actually make the bar useful again. It was impossible to drive with it connected on the 275's last season. It wouldn't even rotate, it would just lift. Now that the rear rates will be 100lb/in stiffer, they should fight the bar a bit more from picking that tire up. I'll be experimenting, that's for sure :) Still haven't decided on tires. I sold my snowmobile so I could buy some, I'm just waiting for my friend to fully pay me :lol:

I've also thought about rotating my front camber plates 120*, so that when I add negative camber, I get some caster as well. Anyone done this with fortune auto plates, or plates that are not particularly designed for it?

·
Registered
815 Posts

You can do it that way or swap the drivers side plate to the passenger side and vice versa for even more caster. It should work with any brand of camber plate.

·
Registered
657 Posts

wow just read your thread from beginning to end!

I wish I had done that sooner...

got a couple questions, what yours thoughts on gimmick turbo inlet? you plan on replacing it ever?

have you ever done compression leak down test on the motor?

how many miles does it have now?

you were able to keep coilovers for 5x114.3 swap because you just replaced the lower mounts on the coilovers, is this correct?

wow I really wish I read this thread before I bought my car....... :/

this thread is awesome tho! goes to show that these cars treated right can make an amazingly fun DD!

glad you decided to keep the car! sell that stinking EVO! LOL

oh btw, 04 FTW!!!! except all those problems you guys pointed out earlier in the thread... lol 04 Blocks FTW!

1001 - 1020 of 1253 Posts