IW STi Forum banner

921 - 940 of 1253 Posts

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Re: Willub's 04ish 1.5XTR SM STi: New Daily Driver!

I'm being serious an ice race evo would be a blast. lol. errr. I mean daily.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #924

Daily the STI, race the EVO. :D
If both were stock right now, I definitely would have gone down that road. Making power with the evo is so easy compared to the sti. Just with some exhaust, supporting mods and a tune it could make damn near the power my sti currently makes. 27 PSI on the stock turbo FTW. Anyway, that won't be happening anytime soon as I simply can't afford it, or the possible consequences. I may slowly mod the evo to STU levels (minus coilovers), but that's my limit as long as the sti is around :)

·
Registered
348 Posts

That sums up the evo vs sti nicely. Money---->out_window
Here's my bet. 1 year. That thing hits the track. Doubts anyone?

·
Registered
28 Posts

Good read! Thanks for posting all the details Willub! Shortly enough, I will be getting the tune done on my car but with 100cc less injectors than yourself and we'll see what kind of numbers come from that.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Gd ftw!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #931

That sums up the evo vs sti nicely. Money---->out_window
Here's my bet. 1 year. That thing hits the track. Doubts anyone?
It will definitely be autocrossed every now and then :)

Good read! Thanks for posting all the details Willub! Shortly enough, I will be getting the tune done on my car but with 100cc less injectors than yourself and we'll see what kind of numbers come from that.
Thanks for reading, and good luck! I think 750's should be enough for the 1.5 on pump gas.

I'm trying to find another car for an ASP build. Never looked at EVO's before, but maybe I should consider them. Would really prefer another GD though.
Well, get both! :D That 06 GD that was at the match tour won ASP at nationals so I really don't think you can go wrong with either. You can definitely get more power from an evo though.

As far as evo's go, I'd get an 05 or 06 MR, mainly for the aluminum roof (and the ACD stuff I guess, not sure how helpful it actually is). The 06 has the biggest turbo along with the variable valve timing shenanigans. I think Justin Lau's is an 03 with the 06 motor and turbo.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #932

Here's a question for people who have an oil pressure gauge. Do you notice a steady and significant drop in oil pressure after you have put about 2000 miles on the car after an oil/filter change? I do. My normal cold start up pressure is ~95psi. After about 2000 miles of driving on the new oil and filter, I start to notice a steady drop week by week. Now I have about 2500 miles on the new oil/filter and my cold start-up pressure is only 80psi. Cruising pressure has taken the same 15-20 PSI drop as well, but idle is still solid between 25 and 30. I've noticed this ever since I've had an oil pressure gauge. Once I change the oil and filter the pressures go back to normal. I use rotella t6 and usually a fram filter, but I've used others and it still happens. Anyway, I'm going to change only the filter one of these nights and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

I don't see that, ever. Maybe try a better filter with the correct release pressure? Only other thought goes to the pickup. Could a small crack do that once the oil starts to thin a bit?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #934

I don't see that, ever. Maybe try a better filter with the correct release pressure? Only other thought goes to the pickup. Could a small crack do that once the oil starts to thin a bit?
Shite. I will go to a better filter if I find that changing the filter corrects the pressure. I already have the killer B pick-up, it better not be cracked! :lol: This pressure drop thing along with the scary ticking noises my car made a while ago is what scared me into replacing the pick-up.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Ah, OK. Forgot you had the pickup. The RX8 OEM filter is a Tokyo roki filter with the correct release. I bought a box of ten a while back from a place online for a better price than the dealerships but Marc can get them from Mazdaspeed super cheap too. But I also remember reading that the new fozzy filters went back to the roki's and have the correct pressure valve also.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #936

Ah, OK. Forgot you had the pickup. The RX8 OEM filter is a Tokyo roki filter with the correct release. I bought a box of ten a while back from a place online for a better price than the dealerships but Marc can get them from Mazdaspeed super cheap too. But I also remember reading that the new fozzy filters went back to the roki's and have the correct pressure valve also.
Good to know, thanks. One other potential option, which scares me a bit, is a leaky fuel injector. Ever since I've had these DW 850 injectors in the car, it has started up abruptly and a bit rough. It fires up immediately (doesn't even get the chance to fully turn over it seems sometimes), then stumbles a little and then smooths out. I remember the car cranking a few times before firing, which is what modern cars are supposed to do. If an injector is weeping a bit and leaving some fuel in the cylinder, it may explain the abrupt start-up. If that's happening then maybe some fuel is getting by the rings and getting into the crankcase, thinning out my oil very slowly? This is what happened on my motorcycle, but these Subaru engines are a bit... sideways lol. I'm not sure the gas would be able to get by the rings without that gravity stuff. I'll have a better idea of what's going on once I change the filter.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #937

Well I popped in a new oil filter, topped off the oil and my pressure is back to normal! I guess I'll be going with the proper ones from now on. F u Fram, I like my bearings unspun.

·
Registered
28 Posts

I guess a good indicator will be if after 2k miles on the new filter do you have the same result?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #939

I guess a good indicator will be if after 2k miles on the new filter do you have the same result?
I'll have the same result since I used another fram :lol: I'll order some good filters soon. I just wanted to test out the theory before my next autocross this Sunday. I'm glad it has nothing to do with the oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Well then.... I was hoping you had picked up an OEM Subaru filter so I could know for my car if it might be doing the same. Maybe I'll just need to run my AccessPort on oil pressure and see where I'm at myself... but that requires doing... and you know how I feel about doing...:lol:

921 - 940 of 1253 Posts