IW STi Forum banner

901 - 920 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #901
Re: Willub's 04ish 1.5XTR SM STi: AutoX pictures! Finally!

That's a good idea. Especially since you know one front is bad and possibly one rear. Have you done new axle seals on the rear diff? Would be a good time to do so if not! I think I have some if you need them.
I haven't done the seals. If they're leaking at all I'll let you know, thanks!

Rear axles for these cars are a biotch to find. The demand must not be enough for the aftermarket to make new ones. Looks like my best bet is ordering some reman'd ones from AutoZone.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #902

Never mind, AutoZone can't even get reman'd rear axles even though they're listed on the site. Gonna see if any local junkyards have some. If not, 420 bucks from Subaru. Moral of the story; don't break a rear axle :lol:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #903

I have a couple rebuilt axles on the way. Hopefully they work.

Couple more shots from the NHMS event I missed

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #904

Well I finally got around to checking the car out. Fixing that supposedly broken axle was as easy as tightening some lug nuts! I'm not speaking metaphorically, the axle is fine. I must have forgotten to torque them down at the last autocross. :banghead: I was also able to tighten the axle nut about an eighth of a turn, but I don't think that had anything to do with it (but what the hell do I know :lol:). I guess that's what happens when you spend 5 minutes per wheel threading the lug nuts on by hand. I usually go around the car one more time with the torque wrench just to make sure I didn't miss any. I guess my mind was somewhere else that day. So besides feeling like a moron and being pissed at myself, I'm still confused as to why the car was doing what it was doing. Loud banging off throttle, mild banging while cruising, zero noise while on throttle and braking. Also zero noise when I had one foot on the brake and one on the gas to put load on the drivetrain. At very low speeds I heard a rubber squeaking sound, once per revolution of the wheel it seemed. Because of how wide the car is I can see the rear wheel in the side mirror, and I couldn't see anything weird going on. I also jacked up the car at one point to check if the wheel bearing had gone and didn't feel anything. Oh well, I fudged up. Lessons learned!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Lol. I've had some stupid stuff like that happen. Did the studs get damaged?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #906

Lol. I've had some stupid stuff like that happen. Did the studs get damaged?
Didn't bother to look, I was too pissed off. I just torqued them, checked the others and took off lol. If anything I would think the wheel would take the damage since it's aluminum, but that's obviously worse :lol:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #907

Oh and if you ever break a rear axle I have a couple rebuilt ones layin around :lol:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Just like a real SM car, pretty soon you'll have all the drive train parts on hand for fast replacement!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #909 (Edited)

Finally had another autocross yesterday. I stuck with the ZII's for this one as the beat up Hoosiers are cording on the edges. There were 4 other drivers in street mod. Two in the panda and two in an 04 STi that I had never seen registered before. Alright, maybe some friendly street tire competition! While walking up to walk the course I noticed the STi was on some sort of r-comp and was trailered to the event. Balls, I was the only one on street tires. I don't know what else was done to that sti as dual drivers grid ahead of single drivers, and I'm usually near the end. I did get to talk to the guys from Kinetic Motorsports (performance shop up in NH) about their XP RSTi. 2.5 block with 2.0 heads, V-mount setup, reversed intake manifold, rotated GT30 (.82 A/R I think he said), RCE T2's, 275 hankook r-comps and it weighs 2500 pounds :eek: Sounds like fun. Anyway, I ended up 4th out of 5 in class which was sort of expected. I think I should have been able shave off another half second in the afternoon but I over drove the tires on the first afternoon run and couldn't get the car into third on the second. I was still ok with how I finished.

Last run of the day, second fastest of the day for me

Final unofficial results - Final Results

In other news, I have another clutch to do in a bugeye.

Still have to touch up the flare piece and get it back on. Doesn't look too bad for coming off at 60ish

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #910

I also cleaned my front wheel speed sensors before the event.

Rust magnet.

I wire brushed the area in the hole for the sensor and slapped some primer on it so it stops rusting and creating issues. I had no ABS craziness during the event!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #911
Re: Willub's 04ish 1.5XTR SM STi: New Daily Driver!

Just picked up a new daily driver tonight. What could it be? :devil:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #913

Know your enemy, right? :)

I wasn't really planning on buying one, but after finding this stock, never been modded 03 (besides some various bushings), I couldn't help myself. I'll post more pics and details a little later :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #914

So it's a 2003 Evo 8 with 102k miles. Been stock it's whole life aside from some diff bushings, shifter bushings, a K&N drop in filter and a front motor mount. Still on the original clutch and it's definitely worn, so that will probably need to be done when the timing belt and stuff needs replacing at 120k. Apparently the car had a smaller wing on it which required a hole in the middle of the trunk and the guy I just bought it off of put the more common big one on. So it has a hole on top of the trunk still lol. The brembo's on these cars had awful red paint on them, so they always turn pinkish red with age. Other than that it's in great shape, and has a working radio! Paid 13,000 for it :)

Yeah, I can deal with this.

Dat real carbon fiber, yo... along with some painters tape covering an old bolt hole lol.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

I'd like an evo beater I think. Lol. Car looks awesome for its age and mileage.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #919

Congrats buddy, excellent choice. :)
Thanks, can't wait to actually drive it other than on the highway. I think it needs a little racing break-in procedure to make sure it's up for every day driving :D

901 - 920 of 1253 Posts