IW STi Forum banner

661 - 680 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #661
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Shake of doom

Well after tightening the front sway bar end links multiple times and getting them as tight as possible, the clunking is getting worse. I'm finally convinced that it is my passenger side ball joint. I'm getting a massive pop while backing out of the garage now. I think the reason it started clunking once I put the stock struts back on is because they change the suspension geometry quite a bit compared to my coilovers. The low ride height I was using probably raped the ball joints. I bought two new ball joints a while back when I did my clutch the first time, so if I can find one I will throw it in. I was planning on replacing them back then, but couldn't get them to budge. Hopefully I can find one, as I really want to smoke these winter tires at the first autocross event in a few weeks. If I can't find one, I don't think it's worth it for me to buy a new one or take one out that's already installed in my 5x114 knuckles. I may have to get a head start on the swap and flare install.

In off topic news, me and my friend swapped out the transmission in his Saturn last weekend. It was leaking fluid like crazy from inside the bell housing, and here's what we found.

That's a hole down there. :lol: Apparently it's common for the pin that goes through the differential to back out and wreck things, like this.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #663

I vote just doing the swap and flares!
I think I'm going to start this weekend. Screw it! I just ordered some 05-07 STi lower mounts from Fortune Auto and unfortunately the current lead time is about two weeks. I can deal with the car being down for 2-3 weeks, so I may as well get started!

I also just got everything I ordered from grimmspeed a while back including their new hood struts and three cans of their PSM matching paint. Hopefully it's enough for the flares.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Nice! My hood struts should come in tomorrow. Can't wait.

I'm surprised about the lead time at FA...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #665
Re: Willub's 04 STi: The conversion begins

I got one corner of the car converted to 5x114 last night. This was the easy side, as I've had it it apart twice already replacing wheel bearings. The passenger side should be.... fun. The fronts will be easy.

Awaiting the new knuckle.

That will tuck in, right? :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Just give it another 4* of camber. No problem! Granted you would probably crash and die the first drive.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #667

Just give it another 4* of camber. No problem! Granted you would probably crash and die the first drive.
That's how it was when I first bolted everything up cause I didn't bother pulling the knuckle out to get some positive camber. It looked retarded but probably would have tucked under :lol:

I'm having issues with the passenger side. I finally got that long bolt that goes through the knuckle loose, except in one spot. It's still seized in one of the lateral link bushings and just spins the whole bushing with it. I'm just gonna let some PB soak in and hopefully that will eventually do it. If not, I'll have to unbolt the sway bar end link and remove the lat link bolt that adjusts toe... which was totally frozen the last time I tried to loosen it :lol: So many funs.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Ah yes, that bolt is fun. I've only had to take it out once and I did what you said and removed the lat link with it. Saved me a ton of time but my adjustment bolt wasn't frozen.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #669

Got the other side done last night! I couldn't get the long bolt free from the seized bushing but using a breaker bar, tons of propane and a two foot pipe I was able to get the toe adjustment bolt free. Then to my surprise, the bolt came right out! I figured it was going to be seized in that bushing as well. w00t! Now I just need to get the other one loose so I can get... an ALIGNMENT!

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Alignwhat? I forgot what those were it's been so long. :lol:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #672

:lol: Yes. No more toe out tire destroying shenanigans.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #673

Front left is all apart. Also got a tracking number for the new coilover mounts from fortune auto! I'm glad it didn't take two weeks to get them out like they first said. Now I have a fighting chance to get this thing back together in time for the first race! Since all I can do is wait for the new front mounts to arrive before putting everything back together, I may as well get cuttin' and flarin' :devil:

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Cuttin and Flarin.

I read that like the "Rippin and tearin" guy. not sure if that was your intent. :lol:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #675

Cuttin and Flarin.

I read that like the "Rippin and tearin" guy. not sure if that was your intent. :lol:
:lol: No! I think he was on one of the first episodes of tosh.0 I watched. Now that's all I'm gonna be thinking about while working on my car :lol:

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Rippin and Tearin.

Sorry.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #677

I got my parts from Fortune Auto quicker than expected, so I'm now officially 5x114.3! Had some issues along the way, and still have some to sort out but the new knuckles are in along with the extended studs. I had an issue with the front right hub fitting on to the axle so I took a look at the splines and saw this.

Right along the edge of the shadow some of the splines are flattened/crushed :wtf: You would seriously have to try and do this. I have no idea how it happened. Of course these are the knuckles I got from the asshole that won't reply to my messages on NASIOC. I broke out a file and went to work. After about 30 minutes of filing and testing, the hub finally slid on to the axle. Phew, major headache avoided. Bolted everything else on and was ready to mount the coilovers. The lower front mounts for 05-07 STi's are quite a bit different than the 04. I tried using the same ride height I used last season and the shock body is smashing in to the axle boot. I'm hoping the holes are just positioned higher on the mount compared to the old ones. That's where I stopped, as I was getting frustrated :lol: Just need to raise the ride height some and the hub swap will be complete!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

I ran into the same ride height difference when switching from v3 to v4. Thankfully, I noticed it before hand and was able to take some measurements and get it pretty damn close before it went on the car. Glad to hear it's all on the cat now.

Have you finished cutting yet?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #679

I ran into the same ride height difference when switching from v3 to v4. Thankfully, I noticed it before hand and was able to take some measurements and get it pretty damn close before it went on the car. Glad to hear it's all on the cat now.

Have you finished cutting yet?
Yeah I should have measured. I compared them side by side to see the difference but didn't notice the fact that they would change my ride height. Oh well, no big deal. Haven't even started cutting yet! :lol: I got lazy over the weekend :p

·
Registered
348 Posts

Oh man, I've been away too long, this has all kinds of goodness going forward.
Get to it buddy!

661 - 680 of 1253 Posts