IW STi Forum banner

501 - 520 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #501
Re: Willub's 04 STi: DSS carbon fiber drive shaft OTW!

So in your video, I really did not see that the u-joint is bad as you moved it in its normal motion. Appeared to be slightly stiff, but that is not going to contribute to rear diff operating temperature. Apply a twisting force if you get the time to redo the video. It seemed to me that you were hitting it against the driveshaft. (for your background - I spent 3 years evaluating warranty driveshaft/differential return parts for a major manufacturer)
You really have to crank the volume up to hear how bad the bearings are I guess. It is far past slightly stiff :lol: I can feel each needle bearing grinding in the caps, hence the sound. Yes, the louder occasional knock is me hitting the joint on the shaft. You really have to feel it to get an idea of how bad it is. I will make a better video with some twisting action tomorrow :)

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

You really have to crank the volume up to hear how bad the bearings are I guess. It is far past slightly stiff :lol: I can feel each needle bearing grinding in the caps, hence the sound. Yes, the louder occasional knock is me hitting the joint on the shaft. You really have to feel it to get an idea of how bad it is. I will make a better video with some twisting action tomorrow :)

Yep that was in the back of my mind. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Nice! You are making me want to bump up a class! So many fun things to do in SM!

P.S. glad your hand is OK!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #504

Nice! You are making me want to bump up a class! So many fun things to do in SM!

P.S. glad your hand is OK!
No aftermarket drive shafts allowed in SP? Booooo. You may as well take the leap. You know it's inevitable. :devil:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

No aftermarket drive shafts allowed in SP? Booooo. You may as well take the leap. You know it's inevitable. :devil:
I kinda want to for this next event on the 15th just because there is a crap load of people registered in SM and most of them are new camaros. I think that could make for a fun day of ass whooping! :lol:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #506

I kinda want to for this next event on the 15th just because there is a crap load of people registered in SM and most of them are new camaros. I think that could make for a fun day of ass whooping! :lol:
Whoa whoa whoa, no rush now. :lol: Kidding.

That's probably the same group of guys that came to one event last year. Always fun having some competition :)

The drive shaft is scheduled to arrive tomorrow!

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

:naughty:

Image Link

Will have installed pictures this weekend :)
oh damn!! That was fast delivery.

If your review is positive I'll have to jump on one of these when I do my clutch next year (hopefully it lasts till next year...LOL).

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #509

oh damn!! That was fast delivery.

If your review is positive I'll have to jump on one of these when I do my clutch next year (hopefully it lasts till next year...LOL).
Yep. I got an awesome deal on it too. 925 shipped. Modifymystang is his eBay store name. He only has a couple left. Do eet! :D

The problem with my review will be that I will have a new heavy arse clutch and new super stiff motor mounts, so I won't be able to tell exactly how the drive shaft helped. I suppose I could wait on the motor mounts for now though. All the reviews I've read say it helps a lot with driveability and everything feels much more direct since there is no center support jiggling around anymore. The best part about it? Replaceable u-joints. :lol:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #510

:)

Clearance by the shift linkage and support is a little tight because the u-joints are a bit bigger in this drive shaft. It should be fine though. I'll take a peek after the next autocross and see if anything is rubbing.

My only complaint is that the factory bolts that connect it to the diff don't work very well with this drive shaft. As you can see in the pic the bolts have round heads with a flat spot that keeps them from spinning while you tighten the nut. I had to use vise grips on a couple because the bolt was too far away for the flat spot to hold it in place. Not a big deal by any means, just figured I'd mention it

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #511
Re: Willub's 04 STi: DSS carbon fiber drive shaft installed!

Finished the car up yesterday and all is well. I've only driven it about 10 miles so far and was focusing on not stalling it so I can't really say much about the new drive shaft yet. It's a little difficult driving this car with a reset ECU and a clutch I'm not used to :lol: I'll put everything up to the test at autocross this coming weekend :)

·
Registered
348 Posts

That is so purrrrty, congrats on the drive shaft. Hope it goes well at the next autox!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #513

Time to get some GrimmSpeed contingency so I can get a master cylinder brace :)

Yes, that is a chicken.

She likes posing with my car

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Willub's 04 STi: DSS carbon fiber drive shaft installed!

Nice. I will be ordering that same drive shaft in about 2 weeks or less.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #515

Nice. I will be ordering that same drive shaft in about 2 weeks or less.
It's been great so far. Check to see if the eBay seller "modifymystang" has any left when you go to order. I doubt you'll find one cheaper, plus free fast shipping.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Willub's 04 STi: DSS carbon fiber drive shaft installed!

It's been great so far. Check to see if the eBay seller "modifymystang" has any left when you go to order. I doubt you'll find one cheaper, plus free fast shipping.
A vendor here quoted me $900 shipped.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #517

A vendor here quoted me $900 shipped.
Well I guess that wins by 27 bucks :lol:

Autocross update will come later on once I get some video uploaded and the official results are posted. Me and my co-driver were battling for a spot and heard contradicting results. I'm sure the person who got first in my class stayed for the trophies and could share the results though ;)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Autocross update will come later on once I get some video uploaded and the official results are posted. Me and my co-driver were battling for a spot and heard contradicting results. I'm sure the person who got first in my class stayed for the trophies and could share the results though ;)
I'm sure he COULD.... But that would ruin the suspense! :D

EDIT: One could say, though, that some autox etiquette was ignored...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #519

I got about halfway home and realized I didn't stop by and say anything, and that I took off a little early. I'm guessing that's what you're getting at with the etiquette comment, sorry! At that point I guess my braindead mind just wanted to go home lol.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

LOL, no no, not that! Haha, I'm may have crashed the party in SM but I'm not THAT much of a dick!

The etiquette I was referring to was the business about how it isn't courteous for codrivers to beat the car owner in their own car. I was simply hinting at the answer to your question about the results. Sorry if it came across as me bitching that you left early. If Sandi wasn't working the last heat I'd have been gone early too! That last heat took FOR-ev-ER!

Oh, and BTW, it was me, Mike I, Christian, you, Jason F, and a bunch of camaro guys that....well...who cares.

501 - 520 of 1253 Posts