IW STi Forum banner

421 - 440 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #421
Re: Willub's 04 STi: RuhRoh. New diff time?

Anyone want to feel up their diff after a shortish drive? 10ish miles. I can't find anything about how hot these things get. I don't trust that temp sensor either. Unless someone knows that it isn't supposed to get as hot as mine is. It gets so hot that I can only have my hand on it for a few seconds. Would be mucho appreciated!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #423

That would be awesome Matt. Thanks!

Other news. The bike is being held at the dealer for me :D These things are apparently selling like crazy. The one I'm buying just came in from Honda and is still in the crate and the other one that I looked at today just came in and is already sold.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Yeah, you pay shipping though :lol:

I know what you mean about the bouncing. I'll be turning 24 in a month and I definitely notice a difference from 5 years ago, which is sad :lol: I'm not as active as I used to be though so I'm sure that has something to do with it. Too much work not enough play!

This is who inspired me to get a dual sport. Hawaii has to be one of the best places to ride. Maybe you know him! He's on Maui though :rolleyes:
haha yea, shipping sucks quite a bit out here. Trying to get any heavy parts/tires/wheels for the car is just a test in patience to find a shipper that will do it cheaply let effectively.

24? Son... you got ALOT of bouncing years left in you. 24... making me sick already :lol:

Hawaii has trails that will outlast you on every island. Pretty insane ones too. It gets thick... rather quickly. I've heard the nightmare stories of people stuck on the tops of mountains and such. Glad I chose the motocross track most of the time. No idea who the guy in the video is, but then again, I'm on Oahu, he's in Maui.

Hope you get it soon! Have fun with it and be safe!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Hey bud, first time posting on your journal, nice car btw! :tup:

Unfortunately, I can't test drive my car right now, but I can tell you that my big rig diffs temps hover at around 140-150 F, they can go as high as 195 F in very hot summer temps. I know this doesn't help you though, but I love the fact that I have a gauge for every drivetrain component, so I love to compare! :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #426

24? Son... you got ALOT of bouncing years left in you. 24... making me sick already :lol:

Hope you get it soon! Have fun with it and be safe!
:lol: I guess I shouldn't complain. Thanks!

Hey bud, first time posting on your journal, nice car btw! :tup:

Unfortunately, I can't test drive my car right now, but I can tell you that my big rig diffs temps hover at around 140-150 F, they can go as high as 195 F in very hot summer temps. I know this doesn't help you though, but I love the fact that I have a gauge for every drivetrain component, so I love to compare! :D
Thanks man! Yeah those diffs are a smidge bit different :lol: If I had to guess I'd say mine was around 150 when I touched it. I've accidentally felt my radiator enough times to know it wasnt near the 200 mark lol

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #427

Well changing out the oil in the diff didn't help. I only went 3 miles this time and it felt like it got just as hot. I'll check it after I go on a longer drive and see what it feels like. If it doesn't get any hotter than when I've felt it previously then I think I'm OK with it. It just seems odd that it gets so warm so quickly.

Bike update. The dealer is waiting for the title to arrive, hopefully tomorrow, before I sign any paperwork. The bike is still in the crate from Honda, or at least it was a couple days ago. It's gonna be weird owning something so new and shiny! It won't stay shiny very long :lol:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Devens Match Tour

This past weekend I attended my first national autocross event, the Devens Match Tour. At first I wasn't going to go since I knew me and my car were no match for the other street mod machines. I got the opportunity to co-drive mickle's STi, so I took it! This event was quite different from a normal autocross event. There were three heats, like usual, but we only got four runs on the first day (Saturday), all in a row. The top 32 PAX times got you into the Super Shootout the next day. If you didn't make it in to the top 32 there was a last chance qualifier Sunday morning where you needed to be in the top 16 PAX times to get in to the shootout. The first day went OK for me. I slowly progressed throughout my runs while I was re-learning the course and getting used to the car (r-comps are sweet!), going from a 71.xx to a 69.xx to a 67.2. Unfortunately I F'd up my last run and ended up with another 67, which was disappointing. Matt (mickle) and Josh (acejam2k) were battling it out for first in ASP with low 64's. It was my goal to get reasonably close to their times, and it didn't quite happen on day one. I was totally burnt out on the first day, probably due to a lack of sleep and that our work shift lasted close to three hours due to timing issues. I was dead by the end of the day.

Day two! I didn't make it in to the top 32 PAX so to the LCQ it was. This was the same deal as day one, except the top 32 drivers weren't running and that we only got two runs. My goal was to get into the 65's. First run, 65.8. Sweet! That was good enough for me. On my second run I ran a 65.3 but I hit a cone. Oh well, getting my RAW time within 1-1.5 seconds of Matt and Josh's times was fine by me. I won't spoil how the event went for them ;)

My fastest clean run. My line throughout the back half of the course was not very good, but whatever!

We had two cameras on the car so another video with both angles will be coming along sometime.

Definitely a good experience for me as I'm somewhat of a beginner autocrosser.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Videos will be up tonight. Since I don't have an editor on my PC I couldn't send them to my drop box (too big), guess it's time to buy something to edit with. I will just upload them all to YouTube and send you the links.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

That course looked awesome.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #431 (Edited)

Videos will be up tonight. Since I don't have an editor on my PC I couldn't send them to my drop box (too big), guess it's time to buy something to edit with. I will just upload them all to YouTube and send you the links.
Sweet. You should be able to get cineform or whatever it's called off of gopro's site, fo' free! You can also get other expensive ones for free, if you know where to look :naughty:

That course looked awesome.
It was. It was fast and pretty simple. Being a national event I was expecting some crazy cone contraptions :lol:

Today on the way to the Honda dealer I found out why cold air intakes kinda suck. It was raining like a MOFO outside and the town I was going through has awful drainage. I went to merge to a two lane "highway" and it felt like I hit fuel cut. I was probably around 3/4 throttle and boosting around 10, so when it cut out I almost slammed my face into the wheel lol. It drove fine afterward besides a little hesitation leaving the dealer. I have yet to do a pull but all I can think of is that the MAF got a little wet. No CEL. It was the first time I drove the car in some serious rain since I installed the CAI. My new bike is at my house though :banana:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Sweet. You should be able to get cineform or whatever it's called off of gopro's site, fo' free! You can also get other expensive ones for free, if you know where to look :naughty:
Awesome, thanks for the tip. Downloading now!

It was. It was fast and pretty simple. Being a national event I was expecting some crazy cone contraptions :lol:
I think this is how national level courses are, typically (Not that I have done many). Not many visually tricky elements but still some that will bite you in the ass if you don't approach properly.

Today on the way to the Honda dealer I found out why cold air intakes kinda suck. It was raining like a MOFO outside and the town I was going through has awful drainage. I went to merge to a two lane "highway" and it felt like I hit fuel cut. I was probably around 3/4 throttle and boosting around 10, so when it cut out I almost slammed my face into the wheel lol. It drove fine afterward besides a little hesitation leaving the dealer. I have yet to do a pull but all I can think of is that the MAF got a little wet. No CEL. It was the first time I drove the car in some serious rain since I installed the CAI. My new bike is at my house though :banana:
And that, my friend, is why I chose to stay with a SRI. If the car wasn't typically driven on the street and MA knew how to make roads drain properly I would have gone CAI.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #433 (Edited)

I made a splash guard out of my old Cobb post MAF tube right when I got the CAI, but I didn't put it on. It should at least keep puddle splashage off of the filter. Not much I can do to keep the misty rain water from getting in there though. In powdery snowmobiling conditions a pre-filter is used to keep snow/water from getting sucked in. I wonder if I could use something like that around the filter. For the winter I will definitely be switching back to the stock airbox and my old tune, unless I pick up a winter beater.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

I've seen pre-filters used. Can't remember if it was Marc or Josh though.

BTW, videos are on my YouTube channel. Didn't know what ones you wanted to post and I don't want to steal your thunder.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #435

BTW, videos are on my YouTube channel. Didn't know what ones you wanted to post and I don't want to steal your thunder.
:lol: Alright thanks.

Bike pics :D

3.3 miles on her now. It's been sunny for two weeks straight and the day I get another bike, it rains. :tdown: Gotta break her in for the first couple hundred miles. I'm opting for the harder break-in :D

·
Registered
348 Posts

Congrats! Bike looks awesome!
I've used the "hard method" on 4 bikes now, all hondas btw. Nothing but success.
After about 90 hours or so, I check them to make sure they are in proper spec, haven't had an issue yet.

Have fun out there and be safe!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #437

Congrats! Bike looks awesome!
I've used the "hard method" on 4 bikes now, all hondas btw. Nothing but success.
After about 90 hours or so, I check them to make sure they are in proper spec, haven't had an issue yet.

Have fun out there and be safe!
Thanks. Good to know. I'll be sure to properly beat the piss out of it :)

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

that bike looks like a blast!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #439

that bike looks like a blast!!
It is very fun :D I love street bikes, but for where I ride this is perfect. Bumpy backroads with the highest speed limit being 50, my cbr was too track oriented for the area. Up to 33 miles now! Going from 120hp to 22 is pretty rough :lol: This stock exhaust needs to go. This bike doesn't have a tach, which I would be fine with.... if I could hear the exhaust! An engine back exhaust system plus the fuel programmer from FMF will get me 6whp. That doesn't sound like much, but when the bike makes 18whp stock, it's a 33% increase. That's like going from a stock STi to my old 1.5xtr setup. A 305 big bore kit is also available, but I'll wait a while for that. Maybe.

I'll be getting it a little dirty after work :naughty: Enough two wheel talk, back to the STi.

I need to raise the ride height. The roads I take going to my local autox events are terrible, and I've slammed the fenders pretty hard. I need to do a full brake job. New rotors and pads. I'm thinking the centric high carbon rotors and hawk HP+ pads. Suggestions are always welcome. It seems like there are always mixed reviews as far as brakes go. I still need to do the extended studs up front and re-replace my wheel bearing :lol: Then once I get an alignment she should be good to race again

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

I really like the new KNS 4K rotors paired with Ferodo DS2500s for a dual/triple duty STI.

The new KNS 4K rotors are made by DBA but are blanks so they are cheaper (huge plus).

421 - 440 of 1253 Posts