IW STi Forum banner

401 - 420 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #401 (Edited)
Re: Willub's 04 STi: \/\/l-l33L5!

I feel your pain! The first time I tried to pull a hub I had the same problem with that big bolt. Thankfully I had already dealt with the caliper bolts when I did my rotors. I didn't waste any time trying to free the big bolt from the link. I just removed the link all together (from the inner mounting point) and left it as one piece with the bolt/bushing, then put it back together as one. Lol
I was getting ready to do that, but once I heated the bolt up it started wiggling around in the bushings. I had no problem getting the nut off the other end, it was just the bushings holding it there. I didn't want to deal with it on the press with a lateral link dangling around annoying me lol.

I got my e-brake all sorted out this morning along with the broken caliper bolt. I just took the caliper off and drilled the bolt out using a drill press (one of the best investments ever). I couldn't save the threads so I used a helicoil. Unfortunately the two bleeders are seized in the caliper, and I really didn't want to deal with them if they were to break. The brakes work fine, they're just a bit mushy. I'll fix it before I race it obviously. The car is about 70% quieter with the new bearing. The current whirring is probably the other side, which I will do when I re-gain motivation :lol:

Now to my friends car with the bad right front wheel bearing. First caliper bolt, snapped. Getting the front hub assembly out was much easier than the rear. The bearing had at least 1/16 of an inch of play in it lol. We pressed the hub out to find this.

LOL. That's supposed to be smooth and shiny!

My friend went to the dealer the next day and got a new hub. Then he decided he wanted my stock BBS wheels. Cha-ching! :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #402 (Edited)
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Roll center kit. SM legal?

I've heard tons of different things about roll center kits. Are they SM legal? I've heard that because of where the ball joint is located in an sti, that they are legal. I also read that someone in an sti that won nationals had an RCK. Then I have read and heard that they are not legal. Which is it!

edit: I just read through the rules and for SM it says that suspension is unrestricted as long as the original mounting points are used. From my understanding, it sounds legal since it uses the original mounting point, sorta. :lol: . For street prepared, the rules specifically say that spacers between the hub carrier and lower control arm to alter suspension geometry are illegal, which is exactly what an extended ball joint does. It does not say this under street mod.

Hopefully someone can confirm either in here or the thread I started in the sanctioned motorsports section. I'd like to keep the car as low as possible while retaining stockish geometry.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #403 (Edited)

A well known local street mod guy confirmed that extended ball joints are indeed legal in SM. Sweet. I'll do this while I'm installing the extended studs up front, and since I'm doing all that I may as well do the front wheel bearings since they are pretty easy to do. I still have to do the remaining rear wheel bearing as well. I still have a bad feeling that some noise is coming from my rear diff. I'll change the oil in it since it's pretty much due anyways and see if there is any evidence of failure.

I got both of the bleeders on the left rear caliper open today and bled it out. It felt like the inside bleeder hadn't been touched since the car was new. I had to slowly loosen/tighten it back and forth to make sure it wouldn't snap. Some yummy lookin stuff came out.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #405

For SM I'm pretty sure the roll center kit is fine.

BTW - gravity bleeding ftw. I've never had better results before until I tried it.
Yep its legal. The question now is which company do I get the RCK from. I guess the gt spec ball joints are twice as long as the whiteline ones. More research to do!

I'll give gravity bleeding a shot when I replace my rotors and pads. I was by my self and in a hurry so I did it the normal way. I just used a piece of wood as the second person to keep the pedal down while I closed the bleeder :lol:

I have a power bleeder but none of the adapters that came with it will fit on the sti master cylinder. I have yet to use it since I got it, at least five years ago lol

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #406 (Edited)

Well I still have issues with the rear driver's side. After I drive the car around for about 5 minutes, it makes a rubber on metal type squeak at very low speeds. It isn't a normal wheel bearing sound. Also, after driving to work I went around the car touching each rotor and each axle stub. All of the rotors were normally warm, but the driver's side rear axle stub was HOT. All of the others were cold :banghead: I spun the hub right after I pressed the new bearings together and it was not that tight. It was my first time doing one of these though, so maybe it was too tight for one of these. I also went with aftermarket wheel bearings since I got two for the same price of one OEM. The only other thing that could get the axle stub that hot would be a bad cv joint, but it feels ok and isn't leaking any grease. Either way that new noise it's making is bugging me so I'm going to take it all back apart and see what's going on.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

I've not read good things about aftermarket bearings. To me it wasn't worth the risk to save $40 per side, especially since they aren't something you need to replace very often (1-2 times in the life of the car). I didn't install mine so I can't say how they should feel afterwards though. Did you check to make sure your caliper is free? How about the seating of the parking brake parts inside that rotor? And it's adjustment? All of those could also get heat up that hub assembly as well.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #408

Yeah I checked all of that. Like I said, the rotor was warmish. If the caliper or e-brake were stuck then the rotor would have been hot as a mofo. The axle stub was much hotter than anything around it. After my ride home I will feel up the axle some more and see if the cv area is hot as well. I will throw this other bearing in since I already have it and see what happens. If I get the same results I will definitely buy an oem one.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #409

I got home a little while ago and felt around the CV joint. The joint was cold and it got hotter the closer I went to the hub, so it's the wheel bearing. While I was under there I felt my diff as well. WTF! :eek: I could barely keep my hand on it! Eight miles of driving and it got insanely hot. I'll change the oil in it and see what happens, but this oil only has 20k on it. I doubt it will fix the problem. Good excuse to buy a new diff? ;) I'm going to try and limit the miles on the car from now on and this new "toy" I'm picking up from Honda should help out quite a bit :D

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: RuhRoh. New diff time?

Getting a CB500F? :D

I've got a friend selling a carbonetics diff for super cheap if you need a diff. :)

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

I've got a friend selling a carbonetics diff for super cheap if you need a diff. :)
FS: (For Sale) (FL) Carbonetic carbon 1.5way diff ACSRB9510 - NASIOC

??

:D

It seems the rear diff of choice for our cars in street/autocross application is a 1.5way rear R180 in the stock housing. Carbonetics are supposedly really strong, but the fluid change intervals are something crazy low like 3,000 miles - far too often for me as a daily. I have also read that you can literally use this as a tuning tool too. If you need more oversteer for an event, change the fluid. Want less power oversteer? Leave the fluid in for 5-6 events, and apparently it's a noticeably different.

I've also read that 100% lockup can also be pretty intense on the street. I'm personally looking into the Kaaz SuperQ 1.5 and the Cusco 1.5 for my car. Both can be set to 60/80/100% lock. If I did go with a diff on a DD, I'd target around 80% lockup.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Karlton busted his Cusco, so if it's between those two go Kaaz

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #413

Nope! Those look sweet though. I'm going with something a little more versatile :D

If I do need a new diff, I will more than likely go with that one. I will find out this weekend after I change the oil. I don't understand why it's getting so hot. My drive to work is 8 miles of 50mph roads. The tires are brand new so the diff shouldn't even be doing much. I checked the fluid within the last 1000 miles and it was full.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #414

FS: (For Sale) (FL) Carbonetic carbon 1.5way diff ACSRB9510 - NASIOC

??

:D

It seems the rear diff of choice for our cars in street/autocross application is a 1.5way rear R180 in the stock housing. Carbonetics are supposedly really strong, but the fluid change intervals are something crazy low like 3,000 miles - far too often for me as a daily. I have also read that you can literally use this as a tuning tool too. If you need more oversteer for an event, change the fluid. Want less power oversteer? Leave the fluid in for 5-6 events, and apparently it's a noticeably different.

I've also read that 100% lockup can also be pretty intense on the street. I'm personally looking into the Kaaz SuperQ 1.5 and the Cusco 1.5 for my car. Both can be set to 60/80/100% lock. If I did go with a diff on a DD, I'd target around 80% lockup.
Fortunately I'll be cutting down on miles with this thing, so the frequent changes don't really bother me. I've never really heard anything bad about kaaz. Cusco on the other hand seems spotty on their quality with products.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Tiger 800XC? :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #416

Tiger 800XC? :D
That ain't no Honda!

I'm getting a 2013/2014 CRF250L. It's a brand new model from Honda and it looks like it's quite a deal compared to other 250 dual sports. If I had the extra cash Id probably spring for the Yamaha wr250r since it's a little bigger and quicker. It's two grand more than the Honda though :eek: I just want something to ride to work that can go on the trails. It will be stupid slow compared to any other bike I've owned, but should be tons of fun. 70mpg ain't too bad either! Saves me 15 bucks a week in gas, provided I ride it every day. I hope to have it by the end of next week.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

oh yeah, sorry got excited.

That should be fun, I'm in the market to trade my bike in for something more fun too. :naughty:

Pics when you get the new bike. :D

·
Registered
348 Posts

That ain't no Honda!

I'm getting a 2013/2014 CRF250L. It's a brand new model from Honda and it looks like it's quite a deal compared to other 250 dual sports. If I had the extra cash Id probably spring for the Yamaha wr250r since it's a little bigger and quicker. It's two grand more than the Honda though :eek: I just want something to ride to work that can go on the trails. It will be stupid slow compared to any other bike I've owned, but should be tons of fun. 70mpg ain't too bad either! Saves me 15 bucks a week in gas, provided I ride it every day. I hope to have it by the end of next week.
That should be an awesome bike to have.

Any interest in a far away deal for a CRF450R, CRF250R, CRF150R ? :lol:
Actually cleaning up and tuning up all the bikes to put up for sale.

I don't bounce so good anymore...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #420

oh yeah, sorry got excited.

That should be fun, I'm in the market to trade my bike in for something more fun too. :naughty:

Pics when you get the new bike. :D
:banana:

That should be an awesome bike to have.

Any interest in a far away deal for a CRF450R, CRF250R, CRF150R ? :lol:
Actually cleaning up and tuning up all the bikes to put up for sale.

I don't bounce so good anymore...
Yeah, you pay shipping though :lol:

I know what you mean about the bouncing. I'll be turning 24 in a month and I definitely notice a difference from 5 years ago, which is sad :lol: I'm not as active as I used to be though so I'm sure that has something to do with it. Too much work not enough play!

This is who inspired me to get a dual sport. Hawaii has to be one of the best places to ride. Maybe you know him! He's on Maui though :rolleyes:

401 - 420 of 1253 Posts