IW STi Forum banner

381 - 400 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: New tune by BrenTuning - 385whp/380wtq

I think I recognize this car! The burnt bumper and dead tires give it away. ;)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #382 (Edited)

Beat me to it!

Look at my motor twisting :eek: I should probably get some motor mounts.

I just got a random e-mail from UPS notifying me that something weighing one pound has been shipped. That's it. I'm guessing it's the motorsport tech spacers. I got my H&R ones today so I can at least test fit the wheels and roll the fenders next weekend.

Points event #4 coming up Sunday! I actually have some competition, another car! Too bad he's quite a bit quicker than me. I'm guessing he is running R-comps based on his times from a previous event he was at that I missed. We'll see! There are actually two more people in SM as well but they are running as novices :tdown:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #384

Quick update while I'm busy doing nothing. Autocross went well, despite being beat by my only competitor in an e30 m3. He's been racing it for seven years and it is his track car, so I didn't feel too bad.

My car had a couple issues at this event. First, was getting into third gear. I tried a couple times and it just wouldn't get in there. No grinding, it just felt like I was hitting the gate between first and third but I know I wasn't. I can't hit that gate when I try to :lol: It has no issues on the street, though I really have to try and get it in to third if I'm doing a pull from second to third. I've never felt how another STi feels so I can't say if it has a normal amount of slop. It does have some miles on it though so I should probably do the bushings anyway. My motor does twist a lot when I'm hard on the gas so I'm wondering if this could be part of it. I already have the group n tranny mount but stock motor mounts. If anyone has had a similar issue let me know. Any input helps.

The other issue is my clutch. It holds the torque ok in second but I tried doing a mild launch on my last run and it acted as if the clutch didn't exist lol. It slipped all the way through first. I got up to maybe 10 mph in first gear and shifted to second as quick as I could to minimize the damage. It held fine the rest of that run and it ended up being my fastest run for the day, even with my very slow start. That shows that I left quite a bit of time out there. I think I really need to trust the car a bit more.

The match tour is coming up in a few weeks but I don't think I'll be going. I'd love to go just for the experience and to see the serious competition but it just isn't worth it for me with my car. I stand zero chance :lol:

Will update later with the clutch destroyer run and hopefully some pictures.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Quick update while I'm busy doing nothing. Autocross went well, despite being beat by my only competitor in an e30 m3. He's been racing it for seven years and it is his track car, so I didn't feel too bad.
Awwww, well if he's a good competitor then if you got close to his times, you should feel good about it! :)

My car had a couple issues at this event. First, was getting into third gear. I tried a couple times and it just wouldn't get in there. No grinding, it just felt like I was hitting the gate between first and third but I know I wasn't. I can't hit that gate when I try to :lol: It has no issues on the street, though I really have to try and get it in to third if I'm doing a pull from second to third. I've never felt how another STi feels so I can't say if it has a normal amount of slop. It does have some miles on it though so I should probably do the bushings anyway. My motor does twist a lot when I'm hard on the gas so I'm wondering if this could be part of it. I already have the group n tranny mount but stock motor mounts. If anyone has had a similar issue let me know. Any input helps.
Motor mounts and a Pitch Stop help ALOT! Have someone rev your engine for you and see if it twists when sitting in the garage. You can imagine the twist when under load from the tranny as well. Strangely sounds like something with your tranny is up though. I've never had that problem with any of my subies and my mounts were jello practically when I changed them out. Hopefully someone else chimes in on it.

The other issue is my clutch. It holds the torque ok in second but I tried doing a mild launch on my last run and it acted as if the clutch didn't exist lol. It slipped all the way through first. I got up to maybe 10 mph in first gear and shifted to second as quick as I could to minimize the damage. It held fine the rest of that run and it ended up being my fastest run for the day, even with my very slow start. That shows that I left quite a bit of time out there. I think I really need to trust the car a bit more.

The match tour is coming up in a few weeks but I don't think I'll be going. I'd love to go just for the experience and to see the serious competition but it just isn't worth it for me with my car. I stand zero chance :lol:
Ouch, that's no good. Your clutch sounds like it's gripped for the last time... Might start looking into a change after all your power mods you've put in lately.

Best of luck on it buddy, hope you get it resolved.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #387 (Edited)

Co drive mine in ASP!
Sandi isn't driving it with you? If you need someone then count me in sir!

Awwww, well if he's a good competitor then if you got close to his times, you should feel good about it! :)

Motor mounts and a Pitch Stop help ALOT! Have someone rev your engine for you and see if it twists when sitting in the garage. You can imagine the twist when under load from the tranny as well. Strangely sounds like something with your tranny is up though. I've never had that problem with any of my subies and my mounts were jello practically when I changed them out. Hopefully someone else chimes in on it.

Ouch, that's no good. Your clutch sounds like it's gripped for the last time... Might start looking into a change after all your power mods you've put in lately.

Best of luck on it buddy, hope you get it resolved.
Thanks man! Is 3 seconds close? LOL. For reference, the fast SM car that runs in the pro class was running 10 seconds quicker than me in raw time at this last event. Granted he is a very good driver and the car is not daily drivable and I am on dinky street tires. It's still a ton of time.

I will get some motor mounts and a pitch stop soon. Mine twists a ton. Check it out on the dyno run Mickle recently posted. I doubt it's the problem but 133k on stock mounts is a bit much. I'll take a look at my shifter at some point as well.

I was honestly surprised this clutch held that power down on the dyno. I knew it was going to have an issue at some point, and here it is. I'll swap it out when I do the motor, unless it really starts slipping. It may be a good idea to pull the trans out while the motor is out and tear it apart to do the bearings and synchros. I got to rebuild a couple 5 speeds and a transverse 5 speed in school and they weren't too bad to do. Having the right tools is key. This one is obviously different, but it can't be too different.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Thanks man! Is 3 seconds close? LOL. For reference, the fast SM car that runs in the pro class was running 10 seconds quicker than me in raw time at this last event. Granted he is a very good driver and the car is not daily drivable and I am on dinky street tires. It's still a ton of time.

I will get some motor mounts and a pitch stop soon. Mine twists a ton. Check it out on the dyno run Mickle recently posted. I doubt it's the problem but 133k on stock mounts is a bit much. I'll take a look at my shifter at some point as well.

I was honestly surprised this clutch held that power down on the dyno. I knew it was going to have an issue at some point, and here it is. I'll swap it out when I do the motor, unless it really starts slipping. It may be a good idea to pull the trans out while the motor is out and tear it apart to do the bearings and synchros. I got to rebuild a couple 5 speeds and a transverse 5 speed in school and they weren't too bad to do. Having the right tools is key. This one is obviously different, but it can't be too different.
If you are on street tires, don't even compare to something that has to be "towed" in. If it was 3 seconds, that's friggin awesome in my opinion.

Well whichever you do, good luck on it and hopefully fixes things up for you in the long run.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #389

If you are on street tires, don't even compare to something that has to be "towed" in. If it was 3 seconds, that's friggin awesome in my opinion.

Well whichever you do, good luck on it and hopefully fixes things up for you in the long run.
The m3 was on street tires, and I really think I should be close to him on street tires. I'm hoping I can compete with him on my new tires :tup: He seems to be a regular this season which is cool, just had some issues with the car the two events he missed.

Here's the run with the launch that did some weight reduction on my clutch :lol: I basically dropped the clutch once it grabbed, but it couldn't handle the POWAH!

Wheels will be here tomorrow :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #390

:naughty:

If anyone is wondering how well 255's match up with 9.5 inch wheels, here ya go! :tup:

They will be on the car by Friday :D

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: \/\/l-l33L5!

Gonna have some stretch there son..........lol

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Gonna have some stretch there son..........lol
Nah, the Z2 tread width in 255 is WIDE!!!

my 255/40 on the 17x10s isn't stretched at all. Perfectly square. :D

·
Registered
815 Posts

With the tread width on the 255/40/17 ZII being 10", like Drew said... no problems with stretch!! Only awesomeness!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #394

Got the motorsport tech spacers today. How convenient.

Stretch? Nope!

Will update later with installed pics.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #395

Lets get rollin'!

Yeah, about that.

:D

That's more like it.

I didn't have time to do the extended studs up front, mainly because of the calipers. I haven't had them off yet and I'm sure I'll have to helicoil them. There is still enough thread for the lug nut up front with the spacer, but I would never autocross it as is. I will do the studs tomorrow along with the rear wheel bearings. I only rolled the rear fenders for now. Even with the car as low as it is, I only heard it rub once out back over one of the bigger bumps in the road around here. The coilovers are stiff enough to deter rubbage, for now :D I will take some better pictures tomorrow

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #396

The motorsport tech spacers fit like a glove. Quality pieces :tup:

I haven't heard any rubbing while at full lock either. Virgin rubber always feels nice. :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #398 (Edited)

Thanks Josh! They really take away the "holy shit that car is dirty" look :lol:

Rolling the rear lip cracked the paint up pretty bad even after heating it up quite a bit, but only underneath where it isn't visible. This car may be done with winter. I think I'll buy a beater with the money I get from selling my other sets of wheels. This will also allow for some further modification, if you catch my drift :devil:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #399

Had tons of fun doing the left rear wheel bearing. Only one caliper bolt broke, to my surprise. The rotor actually came off without cracking. My friend called me up and told me how his girlfriend hit a curb with his 07 wrx and now the front right wheel squeaks around left turns and vibrates at higher speeds. Cool, another wheel bearing to do! He came down to help me out, mainly so we could get to his quicker :lol:. It was going relatively well, until we got to the lower lateral link bolt, that huge one. It was siezed solid in the bushings and took about 30 minutes and some heat to come out. The price I pay for getting a high mileage New England DD.

We finally got the hub assembly off and thankfully the wheel bearing was toast, and probably about ready to sieze. We had to make some sketchy contraptions to press the bearings out, since my press' bottom piece is too skinny for the hub. We eventually got it all back together with the new bearings and started slapping it back on the car. For some reason one of e-brake shoes would not seat properly, but since we just wanted to get to his car, I threw it back together and limped it out of the garage. It was making a terrible noise due to the messed up e-brake.

We started on my friends wrx at midnight. The first caliper bolt we tried to remove was surely going to break, so we called it a night. Tomorrow comes more fun. Drilling/tapping/helicoiling at least two calipers and then his wheel bearing. Then I have to fix my e-brake and do my studs up front. Ah, what a fun day off :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

I feel your pain! The first time I tried to pull a hub I had the same problem with that big bolt. Thankfully I had already dealt with the caliper bolts when I did my rotors. I didn't waste any time trying to free the big bolt from the link. I just removed the link all together (from the inner mounting point) and left it as one piece with the bolt/bushing, then put it back together as one. Lol

381 - 400 of 1253 Posts