IW STi Forum banner

341 - 360 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
Re: Willub's 04 STi: New tune by BrenTuning - 385whp/380wtq!

Ah bummer. Yeah, clean up those MAF wires, I believe there are two of them. They can be seen more easily with a flashlight. New filters will usually pull some oil through, but I can't imagine that would cause a +15%, maybe 5-10% though.

Too bad Bren locks his maps, but I understand his reasons why. If you had the map in open source format, you could use RomRaider's MAF tool to benchmark your MAF table against your actual MAF curve. (and see if it follows, or how far off it is)

When I had my Gimmick inlet, my BPV hose wasn't fully seated onto the nipple. I used my pressure tester and added some air. It was very obvious once I stopped the pump - I could hear a light hiss sound, and I didn't need any water/soap mixture.
I have a feeling it is that BPV nipple. I have mine hose clamped on but I was still sketched out by it when I was done. I'm also using the PCV heater still (I think that's what it is). The thing you delete most of the time when you switch inlets. I just sawed the nipple off the stock inlet and shoved it into the gimmick one :lol: Never had any trim issues so I didn't do anything about it. I'll be pressure testing it tonight.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: New tune by BrenTuning - 385whp/380wtq!

I have a feeling it is that BPV nipple. I have mine hose clamped on but I was still sketched out by it when I was done. I'm also using the PCV heater still (I think that's what it is). The thing you delete most of the time when you switch inlets. I just sawed the nipple off the stock inlet and shoved it into the gimmick one :lol: Never had any trim issues so I didn't do anything about it. I'll be pressure testing it tonight.
When I had the Gimmick inlet on my car, I used a hose clamp around both the BPV hose AND the nipple itself.

This hose clamp is holding the actual nipple in place. I then had another clamp holding the hose onto the nipple. This might not be necessary for your setup, but mine was a bit loose so I figured better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Odd boost leak situation. Halp!

I just used one clamp and got both in one shot as it is pretty wide clamp, but it seems like it has moved since I did it. I'm sure I'll find the leak pretty quick since it's leaking so much under light throttle.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #344

Well I didn't even have to make a tester! My dad already made one that he used to test some plumbing, sweet!

Popped a regulator in between the nozzle and compressor so I didn't blow shit up.

I heard something immediately and of course it's down where I need to remove the IC. It's leaking somewhere in the PCV system. If I wiggle the PCV hose coming up to the inlet the leak gets better/worse. About to dig in and see what happened. All of the PCV stuff is original so it's not too surprising that something finally let go.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

Well I didn't even have to make a tester! My dad already made one that he used to test some plumbing, sweet!
Image Link

Popped a regulator in between the nozzle and compressor so I didn't blow shit up.
Image Link

I heard something immediately and of course it's down where I need to remove the IC. It's leaking somewhere in the PCV system. If I wiggle the PCV hose coming up to the inlet the leak gets better/worse. About to dig in and see what happened. All of the PCV stuff is original so it's not too surprising that something finally let go.
Be sure that you take off your oil cap! The last thing you want to do is over pressurize the crankcase and blow a seal! :busted:

Also just a note from when I did my boost leak testing - I removed all of the vacuum lines from my turbo inlet and capped them off. These lines aren't meant to see high boost, and can sometimes leak when being tested. (which is OK, since they're not designed for high pressure) When I still had my PCV installed, I also removed the PCV hose from the turbo inlet. (and capped it)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #346

Be sure that you take off your oil cap! The last thing you want to do is over pressurize the crankcase and blow a seal! :busted:
Good call! I've only brought it up to 5 psi so far but when I do my final check I will crank it up a little. Thanks for the reminder

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #347

Well I took the PCV valve out last night everything looked ok and it was working properly. I replaced the factory clamp on the short fat stubby hose coming from the engine with a hose clamp. This is where I thought I was hearing the leak. I put everything back together and did the test again. Same exact sound. It then occured to me that it may just be air passing through the valve, and as I moved it the noise changed since the valve moved. Aw poo. I then removed the hose going from the PCV valve to the inlet and shoved an extension in to the inlet :lol: Did the test again and heard nothing. I put the intake back on and went for a drive. Same fuel trims and it still had the hesitation. :domo: While I had the intercooler off I physically checked everything I could as well. Nada.

This morning I decided to put the stock intake back on and load up my old tune. I only got to drive it to work but I noticed that there is no hesitation and no crazy fuel trim action. It's actually removing fuel more often than adding it. Cruising fuel trims generally stay under 10% + or -. This tune also isn't specific to everything else I have added since then such as the header, IC, and post MAF tube. So for being the initial trims upon first startup they are not bad at all. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the tune is just a little off under light throttle areas. I also know that Bren wouldn't leave that car as it is. I don't know what happened, I'll blame it on my friend who drove the car to and from there :lol: No middleman this time.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #348 (Edited)

Here's a video of the stumble it has in neutral. Hopefully the embed works

Bren is sending me a new map :tup:

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

I then removed the hose going from the PCV valve to the inlet and shoved an extension in to the inlet :lol: Did the test again and heard nothing.
This was the right thing to do for sure. Air doesn't go into the PCV like that, it only comes out of the crankcase - thus why I disconnected it while doing the test on my car. :tup:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #351

It's doing that revving without you touching the pedal?? :eek:
Nonono lol, maybe it isn't noticeable in the video but it will begin to rev, stumble, then rev again. Crank your sound up! I'm giving it steady throttle

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #352 (Edited)

Double post woops

Bren just sent me the updated map. Ill swap it in when I get home later tonight

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #353 (Edited)

The updated map helped a ton. That hesitation in neutral is totally gone. I'm still seeing 20%+ sometimes but I'll drive it around for a while to figure out exactly where it's happening. The hesitation was the main thing I wanted gone. It was a challenge taking off from a stop without looking like an idiot :lol: It also made for a tough time getting off the line at autocross.

Post 666. You know what that means.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #355

So....... :banana:

Our wheels have arrived at Enkei USA!! One week in shipping to our vendor and then they ship to us!
Yes! With any luck I may get them before the next event in two weeks! I can't wait to ditch these tires.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #357

Second fastest time of the day from the last event

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
Re: Willub's 04 STi: New tune by BrenTuning - 385whp/380wtq

Finally got around to removing the amp that came with the car when I bought it, along with the wiring. I'm also just going to go ahead and remove my speakers and head unit since my head unit is fried and one speaker is blown. Pandora + my phone works well enough for the time being. Anybody want an amp? :D

Oh hi

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

weight savings!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #360

weight savings!
Hells yeahs!

I haven't read the rules for SM in quite a while but IIRC it states that you may remove the factory sound system but the factory wiring must remain. Wat. Does that mean I need speaker wire hanging around for no reason? My car actually didn't come with a radio from the factory, so I'm not sure if it came with speakers or wiring. Either way I don't think anyone would care or protest, I just found it silly.

341 - 360 of 1253 Posts