IW STi Forum banner

301 - 320 of 1253 Posts

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Tomei EL header and other goodies!

Stop making me want more power!! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
10,699 Posts

The stock mounts are very forgiving. I remember I had a hard time splitting my trans from the engine because the motor would just move with the tranny when I tried to rock it.
Oh and his fore/aft movement is restricted by the Kartboy pitch stop, so engine mounts wouldn't really matter. Just remembered. I'll post images in my journal of the contact point and little cutout I made to clear the header on the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #303 (Edited)

I will be the first to admit that the quality of the welds, and especially the inside piping areas of the Tomei look much better/cleaner than my Invidia. The fact that they include an UP, wrap, gaskets, etc, only seals the deal. :)

Are you adding any other power mods before the tune? The only thing I will suggest (if you haven't already) is one step colder plugs. (or at least ensure you aren't on super old plugs)
Yeah I put colder plugs in when I swapped the turbo. I don't think I can do much more for power. Maybe a nicer turbo inlet and TGV deletes, but I'll do that when this motor pops.
Stop making me want more power!! :lol:
I really wish I had started racing when this car was stock. I get myself in to trouble with the power it has and end up slowing myself down quite a bit. I can't help myself from mashing the pedal to the floor :lol: I will try the "slow is fast" thing at the next event. Keyword "try".

Oh and his fore/aft movement is restricted by the Kartboy pitch stop, so engine mounts wouldn't really matter. Just remembered. I'll post images in my journal of the contact point and little cutout I made to clear the header on the passenger side.
Awesome, thanks. I'm hoping my valve cover gaskets come in by friday so I can bang everything out at once Saturday night.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #304 (Edited)

All wrapped up!

Painted with the silicone spray that comes in the DEI kit

Unfortunately I used all 100 feet of the DEI wrap and was forced to use a tiny bit of the stuff that came with the headers.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Unfortunately I used all 100 feet of the DEI wrap and was forced to use a tiny bit of the stuff that came with the headers.
Isn't that stuff that comes with the header just awful to work with!? Your wrap came out nice. The DEI stuff looks so much better (smooth) than the straight fiberglass wrap. Plus the paint doesn't stay on the fiberglass stuff nearly as well as the DEI. Wish I was smart enough to get some of that in advance but by the time I got the header my motor was coming together so I didn't really think I had time to get some.

Looking good though! Can't wait to see/hear how the car is after all this and a tune!

Oh, and I hear ya on the comment earlier about needing to go easier with the right foot after finding a bunch more power. It was quite the surprise for me at the beginning of the season. It will come with some more events. That's why I run with a second club, and it really paid off this year so far. Lots of extra practice.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #306

Isn't that stuff that comes with the header just awful to work with!? Your wrap came out nice. The DEI stuff looks so much better (smooth) than the straight fiberglass wrap. Plus the paint doesn't stay on the fiberglass stuff nearly as well as the DEI. Wish I was smart enough to get some of that in advance but by the time I got the header my motor was coming together so I didn't really think I had time to get some.

Looking good though! Can't wait to see/hear how the car is after all this and a tune!

Oh, and I hear ya on the comment earlier about needing to go easier with the right foot after finding a bunch more power. It was quite the surprise for me at the beginning of the season. It will come with some more events. That's why I run with a second club, and it really paid off this year so far. Lots of extra practice.
I started to die right when I began flinging that stuff around, and I maybe used two feet of it. It's terrible. I see why they tell you to soak it in water before you use it. Like you said with the paint, I pretty much had to drown it with the stuff for it to be noticeable.

I would go to other events but most others run on saturdays, and I work all day :tdown:

New job is needed.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #307

The valve cover gaskets are scheduled to arrive this Friday and I made an appointment with BrenTuning for next Friday :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #308 (Edited)

Well I got my valve cover gaskets yesterday and decided to start everything last night since I had access to another vehicle in case things didn't go to plan. Of course things did not go to plan. The bolts holding the stock heat shields on were round nubs. I spent about an hour just ripping open the heat shields just so I could get to the manifold studs. I could have cheated and used the plasma cutter and been done in 5 minutes, but I wasn't comfortable doing that with so much oil and whatnot around. After that I removed the downpipe and unbolted the turbo from the up pipe. Then came another stud/nut that hadn't been touched since the car was built. The support bracket for the up pipe. I removed one of them when I swapped my turbo but didn't touch the other. I took my cordless impact to it and it immediately turned in to a 13.5 mm nut :banghead: I have a nut extractor and a stud extractor but I'm not sure either will work. The stud sticks up too much for me to get the nut extractor down on to the nut and I don't think there is enough stud sticking out for the stud extractor to work. I don't think the stud extractor would work anyways. I have yet to try either but I think it's plasma time :naughty:

I don't have any pictures of this stuff because I'm trying something new. I decided to strap my gopro to my face for some intense first person action :lol: Hopefully it comes out ok, should be interesting. I should be able to finish the car up tonight

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

did you strap it to your forehead?

are you doing a timelapse 1 shot every few seconds or full speed?

I think doing something like that in with 1 shot every 5 seconds would be sweet, people could pause if they needed more detail.

Then during editing you do an audio explanation track.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #310

did you strap it to your forehead?

are you doing a timelapse 1 shot every few seconds or full speed?

I think doing something like that in with 1 shot every 5 seconds would be sweet, people could pause if they needed more detail.

Then during editing you do an audio explanation track.
720p 60fps :D I didn't have it on the whole time obviously. It's pretty ghettorigged so it isn't too comfy. I'll get more tonight with some plasma action. I was thinking the same thing pretty much as far as the editing goes. I did a quick DIY for IC removal, though I have a feeling I didn't really explain much. It's self explanatory anyways and like you said I can add some audio if I want while editing. I'll take a look at some video tonight and see if I need to adjust my face.

Yes I strapped it to my forehead via a head flashlight strap doohickey. I did this in Hawaii as well and it worked pretty well. I still have to edit all of that footage and make a video.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

I should try it with my contour this weekend when I do my IC swap.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #312

I should try it with my contour this weekend when I do my IC swap.
Do eeet. It's easy to do with the gopro because of the case. Just open the door to the case and close it with the strap in there. What IC did you get?

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Do eeet. It's easy to do with the gopro because of the case. Just open the door to the case and close it with the strap in there. What IC did you get?
GR STi

The contour has "hat" mounts, gotta dig through the bag of mounts I have.

Worse case I wear my helmet the whole time........

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #314

GR STi

The contour has "hat" mounts, gotta dig through the bag of mounts I have.

Worse case I wear my helmet the whole time........
I may end up selling this AMR and go with a GR top mount. This thing feels like it weighs twice as much as the stocker, and I'm really not sure how well it works. Topspeed used the GR tmic when they tested the 1.5xtr, and it worked really well. I will see if Bren has anything to say about it after he tunes my car.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #315 (Edited)

Well, it's done. The header and up pipe are installed along with the turbo blanket and new valve cover gasket. I thought this would maybe take me 5 hours total including the valve cover gasket. I ended up spending around 14 hours doing this entire job. It would have been around 10 hours if I didn't make a bonehead mistake when putting everything back together. The only part that went well was the valve cover gasket, which only took around an hour.

Fitment of the header is decent but I did have to force one side on. No big deal, but then came the up pipe. I first tried getting it in place from below before I installed the header, but it just wouldn't clear the header studs or stay anywhere I wanted it to so I figured I could just drop it in from above. This didn't work because tomei uses a 3 bolt flange that wouldn't fit between the head and the engine cradle/frame. So I unbolted the motor mount and jacked it up so it would clear. Got everything bolted up and eventually got the intercooler back on (if you think the stock one is tough to get on try the AMR, you'll start making up naughty words). Checked everything over and started her up. Everything was good, and then I looked under the car. Big puddle of wetness that wasn't there before. I immediately shut it off and took a look. My first though was that I fudged up the valve cover seal somehow, but it was oil free. The only oil I could see was dripping from the steering rack. Hrmmmm, maybe I jacked the motor up too far and put too much pressure on a line? The oil looked red because of the rusty bolts it was dripping off of, and the rest went in some speedy dry so i it was tough to tell. I called it a night and went home after spending 8 hours on the thing only to watch it bleed oil out. :banghead: As soon as I got home it hit me. I never checked the oil drain tube from the turbo after lifting the turbo off of the up pipe. F*ck me. I guess it never went through my head because I never conciously removed it, and my brain was fried after spending so much time on it. Lesson learned.

I went back yesterday to take care of it. First I tried forcing it down and on to the tube from above, but it just wouldn't go. So I pulled everything back off and lifted the turbo to get it back on, then put it all back together again. Started it up, no leaks! Finally.

I have quite a bit of footage that I will eventually upload, maybe tomorrow night. The car basically sounds like a big four cylinder now, who woulda thought! It definitely doesn't sound bad, but I do miss the uneven rumblies. Tune coming Friday morning! :D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

The car basically sounds like a big four cylinder now, who woulda thought! It definitely doesn't sound bad, but I do miss the uneven rumblies. Tune coming Friday morning! :D
As much as you will always miss the rumble, you will also learn to love the new sound. Especially once you hear it sing at 5,6,7k RPM. it sounds so much healthier.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #317 (Edited)

As much as you will always miss the rumble, you will also learn to love the new sound. Especially once you hear it sing at 5,6,7k RPM. it sounds so much healthier.
I bet. I was going to throw the stock intake back on just so I could really get on it and hear how it sounds, but with everything going wrong I decided to leave it alone :lol:

Here is a video of me tooling around after the install. If you listen closely while I'm cruising you can hear the humming sound I've been trying to locate. Pretty sure its the driver side rear wheel bearing

Can't tell if the YouTube thing is working cause for some reason my new phone doesn't show embedded videos

·
Super Moderator
10,699 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Victory! Header installed

Youtube works, could not hear bearing noise on my craptop. Try re-torquing the axle nuts.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #319 (Edited)

Youtube works, could not hear bearing noise on my craptop. Try re-torquing the axle nuts.
Will do. It's very loud now. Every person that rides in my car instantly hears it and thinks a wheel is about to fall off :lol: I can't get any play out of the bearings though. I'll check it out tonight.

Right now it looks like I won't be able to get tuned before autox Sunday. Something came up and Bren cant do it tomorrow morning. Hopefully he has time Saturday after I get out of work. We'll see. I can always put the stock intake back on and see if it's safe to go WOT. I'm sure it will be ok.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #320

I couldn't get the axle nut any tighter. I'm just gonna do the rear wheel bearings next week, screw it. 132k miles, I think they're due.

I also popped the stock intake back on and the car runs fine with it, so if it comes down to it I can race with that. I'll know tomorrow if I can get tuned before Sunday.

301 - 320 of 1253 Posts