IW STi Forum banner

281 - 300 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Re: Willub's 04 STi: First AutoX of the season!

:topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic: :topic: :topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic:

I previously mentioned that my friend was purchasing a tig welder that would be making a stay in my garage. This is what we have been working on. For our first time tig welding it came out pretty effin good.

The frame, when it was almost complete

The stainless top after I plasma'd holes in it for the sinks.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, a crepe cart!

Yeah. A crepe cart. A mobile crepe making station. It's not quite done yet, but it's getting close. Maybe these are more popular up in Canada, where the french roam. I had never heard of one until he told me about it. His plan is to tow this thing behind a tandem bicycle with his girlfriend, feeding the people of Portland Maine. I guess she worked in a "crepe shop" so she can bang out some pretty good crepes. Not sure why I threw this in my STi journal :lol: Odd things end up in odd places I suppose

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Off Topic Warning: Crepes.

Really? Never heard of them? You gotta come out of the woods more often. :rofl: Hell, you can even get them at Bickfords. Granted I am sure they wont be as good as some bicycle street food though! I approve of this project. :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #283

movie

Really? Never heard of them? You gotta come out of the woods more often. :rofl: Hell, you can even get them at Bickfords. Granted I am sure they wont be as good as some bicycle street food though! I approve of this project. :D
I meant that I had never heard of a cart made specifically for crepes :lol: I'm not THAT far out in the woods. Although cows probably outnumber humans in this town.

I really want to see this thing being towed behind a bike. Those burners on top weigh 40 pounds each. Then he needs a 5 gallon water tank and then the propane tank. It will probably weigh around 200 pounds when it's done, and he lives on a fairly steep hill.

Something like this at devens would be pretty sweet, though I'm sure it wouldn't be allowed.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Ah, gotcha lol. That makes more sense. I can't say I've seen a crepe cart on a bicycle ever before either. That would be sweet to have a station in the morning before the drivers meeting! Why wouldn't they allow it? Lots of us cook out there with propane and we have had a lunch truck come out before. I think it doesn't happen more because they don't get a lot of business because so many people bring food.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #285

In that case, maybe it will make an appearance! I've never seen anyone cooking before, probably because I always take off for lunch. I also figured there would be a food truck there quite often but like you mentioned they must not get enough business. It would be tough getting it there since we don't have a trailer for it. I'll talk to him about it tonight though :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #286

Got my KStech 73mm CAI today :D

Install was a breeze, especially since my fender liner can basically be removed by clipping two zip ties holding it in :lol:

This thing throws the MAF way off, which is what I was expecting but the STFT was pegged at +25% until I started driving around. It settled down a little after a while and was able to maintain 14.7 while cruising so I can definitely drive it to BrenTuning with this tune. I may mess with MAF scaling just for the hell of it though. I already have another map with my injector scaling squared away so it shouldn't be too difficult.

My intake temps are right around 0-5* above ambient while cruising and got up to 34* above ambient while the car was idling with the hood closed. I let it sit and idle until my rad. fans came on and this is when it spiked up to 104 (ambient was 70) then once they shut off it started coming back down. This is without Mr. Snorkus thing, which I will put on sometime.

I need mah wheels for the new Z2's!!

I just want these tires to last another couple weeks so I can run them at the next auto-x, for consistency purposes. I have not kept this car the same for more than two consecutive events so far. It's annoying, but it will finally be DONE (for a little while :lol:) once I get this new tune and the RPF1's.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Re: Willub's 04 STi: KStech 73mm CAI installed

Tomei EL header!

The included up-pipe

Included gaskets/hardware, along with my new IC to throttle body coupler from vibrant performance. The AMR IC has a 3 inch outlet and the STi TB is 2.75 inches. I had the stock coupler jammed on to the AMR outlet for the last few months :lol:

That's a hair sticking out in the up-pipe, not a crack :tup:

PTP turbo blanket!

I decided to wrap my up-pipe in my room. I made a mess :D I'll be wrapping the rest in my garage tomorrow. Now all I need is my valve cover gaskets, and the fun can begin.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Tomei EL header and other goodies!

Can you do a test without the fog cover on. :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #291

Can you do a test without the fog cover on. :)
I actually did but forgot to post the results! While cruising, intake temps stayed rock solid at ambient. I then let it idle for a couple minutes again and the temp was climbing, but much slower than before. Got up around 24 above ambient with the rad fans kicking on. Again it was without the snorkus. When I put the snorkus back in I'm going try and seal off the fender hole it flows in to. I think that will have a dramatic effect on idle intake temps.

I have nothing more constructive to contribute than this:

OHHH SHINY!!! :D
:lol:

Looks awesome!
I'm surprised at the quality of it, even after seeing pictures of Matt's. Tomei makes some good stuff :tup: Hopefully it works as good as it looks

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Hell yeah! Only thing that I worry about is the slip joint but only because of the negativity online. Who knows how much of an issue it really is. Even still, super easy/cheap to fix if it does start to leak.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #293

Hell yeah! Only thing that I worry about is the slip joint but only because of the negativity online. Who knows how much of an issue it really is. Even still, super easy/cheap to fix if it does start to leak.
Yeah I'm not worried about it, especially now that I have a nice TIG welder at my disposal :D

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

On that header/UP combo make sure if running the stock u-brace/frame thingy that there is plenty of clearance. Had a friend return for TGV deletes and I swear there was 1/2" clearance to the front edge passenger side to the header, but it clearly made contact with the header (header expanding hot?). I had to clearance the subframe so there was an inch clearance. His Tomei was coated and the car is an '07 WRX, but I was surprised to see the contact.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #296 (Edited)

On that header/UP combo make sure if running the stock u-brace/frame thingy that there is plenty of clearance. Had a friend return for TGV deletes and I swear there was 1/2" clearance to the front edge passenger side to the header, but it clearly made contact with the header (header expanding hot?). I had to clearance the subframe so there was an inch clearance. His Tomei was coated and the car is an '07 WRX, but I was surprised to see the contact.
Alright thanks for the heads up. I have a BFH if needed :)

Now I know who to call if mine starts to leak! ;)
I'm currently taking my last class before I get my degree and my dad's car is pretty much done. I'm sure he will be retiring soon, which means I'll need some customers when I open this place up for business :D

I need to autocross this thing sometime, or convince him to.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Could/would motor mounts contribute to this? Out of curiosity, what mounts did he have? I have decent clearance but haven't really inspected closely to see if it has touched at all now that it has a few thousand miles on it. But I had near solid mounts put in with the new motor, header etc. I wonder if stock mounts have that much movement?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #298

Could/would motor mounts contribute to this? Out of curiosity, what mounts did he have? I have decent clearance but haven't really inspected closely to see if it has touched at all now that it has a few thousand miles on it. But I had near solid mounts put in with the new motor, header etc. I wonder if stock mounts have that much movement?
The stock mounts are very forgiving. I remember I had a hard time splitting my trans from the engine because the motor would just move with the tranny when I tried to rock it.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

Can't remember and did ask him(he either has or is planning Grp N engine mounts). Thought the same as well, but we are talking fore/aft movement and I couldn't rationalize that in my mind. Did however see clear evidence that the slip joint was seeing some movement on the Tomei EL header.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

I'm surprised at the quality of it, even after seeing pictures of Matt's. Tomei makes some good stuff :tup: Hopefully it works as good as it looks
I will be the first to admit that the quality of the welds, and especially the inside piping areas of the Tomei look much better/cleaner than my Invidia. The fact that they include an UP, wrap, gaskets, etc, only seals the deal. :)

Are you adding any other power mods before the tune? The only thing I will suggest (if you haven't already) is one step colder plugs. (or at least ensure you aren't on super old plugs)

281 - 300 of 1253 Posts