IW STi Forum banner

261 - 280 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Re: Willub's 04 STi: First AutoX of the season!

I can't remember - did you pop your hood open between runs? It helps a ton with our cars.
Not sure if I was in the morning, but I was in the afternoon.

pop the hood, spray the intercooler, radiator, intake manifold etc. with water.

the few gallon bug sprayers work great for that. I have a 12L Spec C tank and some irrigation tubing I use to spray my stuff down.
Well that may just be the easiest solution. I never think of bringing stuff like that. I'm always running around the morning of the event grabbing stuff I forgot the previous night :lol:

I have an extra sprayer you can have if you want. It's small but if you aren't doing the tires it should be enough. I got a new one because I needed more water for cooling the Kumho slicks. So far this season I haven't had to spray the Hoosiers but I'm sure I will in another month or two. Let me know if you want my other one and I can bring it to the next event you come to.
Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on that, but I'll see what I have kickin around first. I'll let you know

Different subject. On the way home Sunday my coilovers were making some not so awesome noises. Mainly when I hit the brakes I'd just get a single clunk from the front left. Gonna take a look tonight and see if something loosened up. This is the corner that really slammed down hard and caught my fender when my friend decided to go off roading for a bit

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Be sure to check the sway bar link if you don't find anything on the coil over.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #263 (Edited)

I put the car up on the lift to check everything out and nothing was obviously loose. I was able to loosen the height adjusting collar with the adjustment tool though, so I'm guessing that was the issue. I shouldn't have been able to since I tightened it via a hammer and pry bar. It was probably just loose enough to twist a little when I hit the brakes and create the noise I was hearing. Everything else checked out ok (suspension wise) and the noise has not returned :tup:

I also checked my gear oil in the trans and rear diff, both are fine. I was unable to locate the howling noise coming from the rear. I guess I'll wait until it gets a little worse rather than throwing parts at it. Another candidate for the noise is the carrier bearing supporting the driveshaft.

I knew this heat shield was loose but I didn't know it had worked it's way down to the CV axle. Oops. Luckily it was rubbing on the metal part and didn't do much to the boot.

Bent it back up for now. I may as well get an up-pipe since I'm going to have to take the stock one out to remove the heat shield anyway.

I kinda forgot I'm missing a somewhat important bolt LOL. This has been broken since I got the car. I guess I should get around to fixing it.

So next on the list is a solid up-pipe, heat wrap for the up-pipe and DP, and a turbo blanket.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

The springs up front need to be able to turn.

Fortunes are notorious for making noise.

Are you using antiseize on the threaded bodies? (this will require less torque to stay tight and allow them to loosen easier in the future).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

He's got the new ones with the new sealed bearing to eliminate the coil bind so it shouldn't be that.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #267

The springs up front need to be able to turn.

Fortunes are notorious for making noise.

Are you using antiseize on the threaded bodies? (this will require less torque to stay tight and allow them to loosen easier in the future).
I had FA install their radial bearings up front to help eliminate spring bind. They work for the most part but once I get close to lock there is a little noise. This was a very different noise

I thought about using anti seize but with all the sand/salt left on the road I didn't want the threads to get gunked up. When I slap my new wheels on I may anti seize them up and cover them in saran wrap.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Invisible solid uppipe for the win! I love mine so far, and knowing what I know now, I would never buy one with a flex ever again.
:lol: Invisible solid UP! So that's how you made so much power! ;)

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Top bearings?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #270 (Edited)

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

i mean the camber plate bearing.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #274

Well I sold my motorcycle and decided to buy some stuff for the car.

No more of this

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Killer B EL?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #277

Killer B EL?
I wish. I can't justify spending that much on headers even though they look amazing. I went with the tomei unit since it comes with the up pipe and is just good value. I need to keep some money hangin around for a replacement engine. Mine is doing fine but I'm sure it will go soon. Along with the header I'll be getting a ptp turbo blanket and more wrap for the downpipe. I'm also going to finally replace my leaky passenger side valve cover gasket while I'm down there. All of this will be followed by a tune from BrenTuning :D

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

sweet!! I've always had an eye on the Tomei pieces. Very nice stuff. :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #279

sweet!! I've always had an eye on the Tomei pieces. Very nice stuff. :)
Mickle had good results with it and yes it looks quite good, especially for the price.

Another thing I'll be grabbing while I'm at it is a kstech 73mm CAI. This dinky stock MAF housing needs to go byebye :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #280 (Edited)

I recieved these goodies a few days ago

The good stuff is scheduled to arrive early next week.

261 - 280 of 1253 Posts