IW STi Forum banner

241 - 260 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Dunlop Z2's ordered!

I ordered the Dunlop Z2's this afternoon and tire rack already shipped them! They should be here Friday, so they get to sit in my garage and tease me for another month until I get my wheels :lol:
I bet you they arrive tomorrow. TireRack is awesome like that.

The real question is: Will they be on the car for Sunday? :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #242 (Edited)

The real question is: Will they be on the car for Sunday? :D
I was actually thinking of shoving them on to my stock wheels :lol: My friend who works for Mercedes (co-driving my car Sunday) could do it for me if I really wanted him to, but I think I will hold off. I had 255 star specs on 17x8 (maybe even 8.5) wheels out back on my rx7. It wasn't a pretty sight. I hate that look and it will obviously be worse with another half inch of wheel missing lol. I'll just wait for the RPF1's

On another annoying note, I bought some black magnetic numbers and letters for autocross a few months back. I can't find them :banghead: I knew there was a good reason to why I wait until the last minute to buy things, so I don't lose them!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #243

You win! Next time I win a honeybun at devens, you get it.

It's been a while since I've had fresh rubber for a car. Feels good.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #245

So what is your wheel/tire plan for this year? These are going onto the RPF1's?
Yep. If competition heats up I may grab some 17x10 RPF1's and A6's. Or I may just keep the STi as my DD and build up an FD for ASP. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do, I'll leave it at that :lol: I'll probably change my mind 20 times this year

·
Registered
815 Posts

Yep. If competition heats up I may grab some 17x10 RPF1's and A6's.
Am I going to have to start a 5x100 group buy for these too? :D :tup:

We both should probably just do a hub swap next time we upgrade to even wider wheels. :lol:

You will enjoy the ZII's. I am liking them a lot so far on my current 17x9's. They are definitely better than ZI's overall grip wise and honestly really predictable. They aren't super forgiving, but that just influences better driving IMO.

In less than a month or so our wheels should be here! I think I am going to grab a set of BFG G-Force Rivals for the Enkei's though just for the sake of having a chance at the contingency.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #247

Am I going to have to start a 5x100 group buy for these too? :D :tup:
Yes. Yes you are. :lol: I see some places that sell them as a "special order". They cost a bit more and will probably take 6 months to get here though.

We both should probably just do a hub swap next time we upgrade to even wider wheels. :lol:
I will run 5x100 until I get some serious pad knockback issues, which may happen once I run these new tires since I already had it happen once on the old star specs. We'll see. I will need new brakes including rotors soon though, and my wheels bearings are definitely getting old. Hmmm :lol:

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

Yes. Yes you are. :lol: I see some places that sell them as a "special order". They cost a bit more and will probably take 6 months to get here though.
When I ordered my 18x10 RPF1's from TireRack they only had 2 left. They ordered me a new set of 4 which was considered "special order" and it took them 2-3 weeks. They came straight from Enkei. :)

In the business world, pretty much all vendors on this site are small fish. TireRack on the other hand is a serious entity and has a lot of power in terms of getting what they want. I'd give them a call if you're looking for a set.

I remember back when someone else was trying to find 17x10 RPF1's - their vendor quoted them 3 months. I had happened to call TireRack just days before because I was considering them myself and was quoted 1-2 weeks. (they were already en route apparently)

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Z2s an 17x10 RPF1s FTW! :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #250

When I ordered my 18x10 RPF1's from TireRack they only had 2 left. They ordered me a new set of 4 which was considered "special order" and it took them 2-3 weeks. They came straight from Enkei. :)

In the business world, pretty much all vendors on this site are small fish. TireRack on the other hand is a serious entity and has a lot of power in terms of getting what they want. I'd give them a call if you're looking for a set.

I remember back when someone else was trying to find 17x10 RPF1's - their vendor quoted them 3 months. I had happened to call TireRack just days before because I was considering them myself and was quoted 1-2 weeks. (they were already en route apparently)
I'll keep this in mind if I end up getting another set. I doubt I will be anytime soon

Z2s an 17x9.5 RPF1s FTW! :D
Fixed! :D :lol:

I found them!

Now I can at least look like a pro while violently molesting cones.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Just remember the 17x9.5 +38mm RPF1 requires a 5mm spacer to clear the brembos. :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #253

Just remember the 17x9.5 +38mm RPF1 requires a 5mm spacer to clear the brembos. :)
Yep!

I have a set of 17x9.5 RPF1s... Lightly used... Three hold air...

...I think :)
Mine are already on the way but thanks, I guess! :lol:

I read about your accident at the track. At least you're alright.

The car shall be rebuilt...better...stronger...faster. We have the technology.

Seriously though, best of luck to you and the car.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

the brand new wheels got hurt too! :(

·
Boobs add 50 horsepower!
1,307 Posts
Re: Re: Willub's 04 STi: Dunlop Z2's ordered!

Mine are already on the way but thanks, I guess! :lol:

I read about your accident at the track. At least you're alright.

The car shall be rebuilt...better...stronger...faster. We have the technology.

Seriously though, best of luck to you and the car.
It was a joke ;) Thank you, the safety equipment definitely did its job. Only had a few bruises and a tweaked ankle.

She'll be back, after what the car has been through so far a little flesh wound can't keep her down!

the brand new wheels got hurt too! :(
Yep... both drivers side wheels are bent/cracked. And the front drivers side Tien strut is sheared in half.

This is why I can't have nice things...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #256 (Edited)

In for service! Swapped the stock BBS wheels back in with my very worn 225 star specs. This will probably be the last event for them. I also lowered the rear about 3/4 of an inch. The front was ok so I just left it. I also eyeballed some camber in for the front. Twoish degrees I'd say? Who knows :lol: When I get my RPF1s on I will get a good alignment.

The nice gouge in the driver side caliper from a rock during the rallycross I went to.

Ready to cone.

I've been suspecting a bad wheel bearing in the rear recently and I took my dad for a drive after I swapped everything. First thing he said,"Is your rear end about to fall out?" LOL. I guess it's pretty bad, I'm just used to it. Got me thinking though. The sound isn't really like the sound of a normally bad wheel bearing. It's more like a rear diff howl. Either way I'm not worried about it for now. I'll throw it on the lift one of these days and pinpoint where it's coming from. It would kinda suck if my carrier bearings were shot.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #257 (Edited)
Re: Willub's 04 STi: AutoX prep!

Had a nice day of autocross yesterday. The car feels really good and totally different on the coilovers. Me likey. I got first in Street Modified but by no means was I fast. There were only three drivers in SM including myself and my co-driver :lol: The other was an old modified volvo 240. My co-driver decided to spin on his first run. Doing so he went off course and in to the grass while almost hitting a course worker :lol: The driver side front tire actually caught the inner lip of the fender and bent it out a little. I just massaged it back by hand. Guess I should have rolled my fenders already.

Here is my second and one of my slower runs. I left the gopro on by accident so I didn't get to record any afternoon runs.

I think my friend moved the seat up a little bit, and I either didn't care or notice. My arms look a little cramped! I charge quite a bit and don't set myself up for the next part of the course very well, and I can definitely go quicker through the slaloms. I just need to get better at driving the car. My fastest run was a 64.2. I would have been happier with a 61 or 62, but oh well! On my last run I dropped two seconds off my fastest clean time. I just need more seat time :beer:

I really need to do something about the IC heatsoaking. It gets HOT. The only thing I have is the SPT heatshield, which does nothing really at autocross events. I'll probably get a turbo blanket and wrap my DP. My friend just bought himself a new tig welder, which may be staying in my garage for a little while. Maybe I'll try it out and make some nice custom heat shielding like I planned on over the winter :naughty:

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: First AutoX of the season!

I can't remember - did you pop your hood open between runs? It helps a ton with our cars.
pop the hood, spray the intercooler, radiator, intake manifold etc. with water.

the few gallon bug sprayers work great for that. I have a 12L Spec C tank and some irrigation tubing I use to spray my stuff down.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: First AutoX of the season!

I have an extra sprayer you can have if you want. It's small but if you aren't doing the tires it should be enough. I got a new one because I needed more water for cooling the Kumho slicks. So far this season I haven't had to spray the Hoosiers but I'm sure I will in another month or two. Let me know if you want my other one and I can bring it to the next event you come to.

241 - 260 of 1253 Posts