IW STi Forum banner

221 - 240 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #221 (Edited)
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Coilovers have arrived!

Can't wait to see how you do on course with the new suspension and tires!
Unfortunately it will be quite a while before I get the tires/wheels. It should be pretty funny watching me on these coilovers and used all seasons :lol:

I'll be installing them tonight :D I guess I will put my stock wheels on with my beat star specs. Definitely won't be a good test as it's quite cold out. Its actually snowing out. :banghead:

·
Registered
815 Posts

Glad you got your coilovers! The new fortune autos seem like a great buy! Let me know how you like them.

Also, the I checked with AutoRnD the other day and the wheels are still on schedule! Only 2 months! :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #223

Glad you got your coilovers! The new fortune autos seem like a great buy! Let me know how you like them.

Also, the I checked with AutoRnD the other day and the wheels are still on schedule! Only 2 months! :D
Will do. Can't wait for those things to finally come!

First time on the ground after guesstimating ride height. Not too bad! The front is a little low but I will mess with it later.

The install went very smooth. Besides me not noticing the rear brake line mounts were offset for each side of the car :lol: At first I thought... Hmmm these little brackets are of zero use! Then I realized that it would work perfectly on the opposite side :lol: So I just swapped the height adjustment collars.

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet because my dads cuda is in the way. Moving that thing around late at night is asking for the cops to show up. It's a little loud. I will update in the morn!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Coilovers installed!

It's good you caught the wrong side thing. I read about someone else doing that with these coilovers and the camber was all screwy a and they couldn't get it even from left to right. Though I don't think they had camber plates, but still would have been wrong.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Coilovers installed!

Why didn't I do this earlier?!? The car feels amazing, and I'm still on my winter tires! I can't imagine what a good alignment and 275 Hoosiers will feel like :scurred: :lol: Can't wait to get on course with it now. Why do I have to go on vacation right when the AX season starts? :( Poor planning on my part :lol:

I honestly like the way it rides now more than with the RCE blacks and koni yellows. Dips and crests in the road are much firmer but still comfortable. Over sharp bumps in the road it really seems to soak them up quite well to my surprise. I really couldn't stand the boat like feeling the car had before, maybe that's why I like the ride so much right now. It feels like a go kart and is totally daily drivable, and believe me the roads here SUCK. :tup:

I still have some adjusting to do. I noticed the passenger side front is up about a 1/4 inch higher than the driver side. I'm going to check everything after driving around for a few days so I'll measure my ride height and adjust everything then.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Thinking of starting a new project

Nothin new with the STi, still waiting on the wheels and tires before I roll my fenders and figure out what needs to be done with the rear. I don't want to go too crazy with fender mods as I am now planning on possibly building a track car :naughty: If I can find the right rolling chassis for the right price I will most likely go for it. It will take quite a bit of time to get everything together for it so I would continue to race the STi until it's ready to go. What will the car be you ask? I'm having rotary withdrawals.

A 93-95 rx7 is what I want, but it will be tough to find what I want for the right price. So if anyone knows of an FD for sale with a bad or missing motor let me know!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Tire Trilemma

So it doesn't look like my co-driver will be helping with funds on Hoosiers, or even driving my car for that matter. Now I'm not sure I want to drop 1200 bucks on them. These are the options I've been running through in my head.

255/40/17 direzza ZII's $740ish
Same size rs-3's for $600

Or man up and get the a6's for $1200

If I were to get a street tire I would just use them for daily driving on the rpf1's, and sell my stock wheels. I don't need the Hoosiers to be competitive in my class right now so it does seem like overkill. Any and all advice is welcome

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

So it doesn't look like my co-driver will be helping with funds on Hoosiers, or even driving my car for that matter. Now I'm not sure I want to drop 1200 bucks on them. These are the options I've been running through in my head.

255/40/17 direzza ZII's $740ish
Same size rs-3's for $600

Or man up and get the a6's for $1200

If I were to get a street tire I would just use them for daily driving on the rpf1's, and sell my stock wheels. I don't need the Hoosiers to be competitive in my class right now so it does seem like overkill. Any and all advice is welcome
The ZII's I've been researching a lot lately. They've received really nice reviews all over the place. Have you considered the Rivals either? Same size and really close on price, and a lot of autocrosser's have been averaging faster lap times with them. They say the rivals were a bit more predictable at the limits.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #229

I had heard about the rivals but being BFG's I figured they would be expensive. It would be 844 in the same size as the others. Not sure I'd want to spend 244 dollars over the rs-3 to possibly get ever so slightly better times. I don't like that dollar to second ratio :lol: Thanks for the input

·
Registered
792 Posts

I had heard about the rivals but being BFG's I figured they would be expensive. It would be 844 in the same size as the others. Not sure I'd want to spend 244 dollars over the rs-3 to possibly get ever so slightly better times. I don't like that dollar to second ratio :lol: Thanks for the input
IMO...

I have the Z1 Starspecs and the RS-3s.

I did not care for the RS-3s on the street. They had tire pull, rough ride, and alot of noise. On the track they did really well, but I did not consider them leaps and bounds better then the Z1s.

The Z1s are much better as DD tires. I will not buy another set of RS-3s, though I will use the ones I have as track tires.

The Rivals are the new tires on the block. So far everything looks really good, but I have not seen any in depth independant reviews. I plan on trying these next after the Z1s wear out.

The Z2s seem like a good bet also. I do not think you would go wrong with them, or the Rivals. Re-11a would be nice, its just hard to justify the price.

Good luck with you choice. What is nice is there are so many choices, unless you are having a hard time trying to decide on which one :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Normally I would say man up but I completely understand the dilemma. Plus you won't believe how much faster the car will be with the new suspension. That in mind it would probably serve you well to get familiar with the new setup on street tires before moving to rcomps anyways. Josh seems pretty happy with his Z2s, can't go wrong with them, though I can't say anything bad about the Kumho XSs that I ran at the last Renegade event. My tires are only 10mm wider than his and we were neck and neck the whole time during the full course runs. I'm not sure how they stack up price wise though.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #232

IMO...

I have the Z1 Starspecs and the RS-3s.

I did not care for the RS-3s on the street. They had tire pull, rough ride, and alot of noise. On the track they did really well, but I did not consider them leaps and bounds better then the Z1s.

The Z1s are much better as DD tires. I will not buy another set of RS-3s, though I will use the ones I have as track tires.

The Rivals are the new tires on the block. So far everything looks really good, but I have not seen any in depth independant reviews. I plan on trying these next after the Z1s wear out.

The Z2s seem like a good bet also. I do not think you would go wrong with them, or the Rivals. Re-11a would be nice, its just hard to justify the price.

Good luck with you choice. What is nice is there are so many choices, unless you are having a hard time trying to decide on which one :)
Thanks. I had star specs on the stock wheels and ran those at autox until they were toast. I also had them on my rx7 when I sold it. They were much better than any other tires in it's price range back then. I really don't mind issues on the street with tires such as noise or pull like you mentioned. Maybe it's because most roads around here are backroads. I have heard they are much worse in the rain than the star specs though.

Normally I would say man up but I completely understand the dilemma. Plus you won't believe how much faster the car will be with the new suspension. That in mind it would probably serve you well to get familiar with the new setup on street tires before moving to rcomps anyways. Josh seems pretty happy with his Z2s, can't go wrong with them, though I can't say anything bad about the Kumho XSs that I ran at the last Renegade event. My tires are only 10mm wider than his and we were neck and neck the whole time during the full course runs. I'm not sure how they stack up price wise though.
The Kumho's seem to be in the middle as far as price goes, and are actually available in 275/40/17 unlike the others. I may just stick to 255 though, just to keep fender clearance headaches as far away as possible. Like you say it may be better to stick to street tires for now until I actually get some consistent experience driving this car the way it is. I also wouldn't mind looking at RPF1's all the time rather than the dinky stockers.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #234

Z2's or Rivals

Wish I knew this a couple weeks ago - I would've given you my old 275/40 A6's. (heat cycled but probably had 2-3 events left)
Damn, oh well.

I think I'll go with the Z2's. Unless I can lure another friend in to co-drive :devil: (and to go halfsies on Hoosiers LOL) I'm really not seeing a need to get r comps yet though, and I like the idea of using my RPF1's for DD duties.

:banghead:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #236

Plus, 'arrive and drive' is always nice. Especially at the end of the day.
Definitely. Working early on Saturday followed by another long day of autocross is rough enough as is. This brings me to another positive point of not having slicks. The only good floor jack I have weighs 80 lbs. and won't fit under my car lol. I bet I could find a decent aluminum one for a good price, but who needs a jack when you have this big blue thing that lifts your whole car up? ;) I really should get a good jack though to bring along with me just incase.

Z2's it is!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

Definitely. Working early on Saturday followed by another long day of autocross is rough enough as is. This brings me to another positive point of not having slicks. The only good floor jack I have weighs 80 lbs. and won't fit under my car lol. I bet I could find a decent aluminum one for a good price, but who needs a jack when you have this big blue thing that lifts your whole car up? ;) I really should get a good jack though to bring along with me just incase.

Z2's it is!
I always jack up from the side and destroy my pinch welds even more when switching tires at events. :lol:

I ran the Z2's at one event so far this year and they held up great. R-comps are always nice, but realistically we're talking 1-2 seconds at MOST between the two.

I assume you are running SM this year?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #238

I always jack up from the side and destroy my pinch welds even more when switching tires at events. :lol:

I ran the Z2's at one event so far this year and they held up great. R-comps are always nice, but realistically we're talking 1-2 seconds at MOST between the two.

I assume you are running SM this year?
Yeah SM. One of my pinch welds collapsed last year when I was swapping wheels outside. Oh well, that's what they're for!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Dunlop Z2's ordered!

I ordered the Dunlop Z2's this afternoon and tire rack already shipped them! They should be here Friday, so they get to sit in my garage and tease me for another month until I get my wheels :lol:

221 - 240 of 1253 Posts