IW STi Forum banner

201 - 220 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Re: Willub's 04 STi: First tune kinda done!

No problem. I was just thinking that I should check a bone stock map and not their stage 2. That's probably my issue, thanks for mentioning that.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #202

Finally got around to some real time tuning. First off, Cobb doesn't change injector latencies for their maps so I was ok there. After resetting the ECU I raised my injector scale number up until my a/f learning was basically at zero. It was quite a bit off from the starting point for 850's. I saved the map and flashed it to the ECU. Now my short term is right around zero, even when cruising :tup: I don't begin to lean out when entering boost anymore either so it looks like that was the only issue. I did some 3/4 throttle pulls in 4th to see how it was boosting and if my AFR would drop as it should, and it does. Success! Now to really start tuning for powah.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #204 (Edited)

Right around 3600 I believe. Pretty far from the starting point. I'll see what my A B C and D learning values end up at as I drive the car more but right now its looking good. Since your A learning is negative and your others are quite positive I would say the problem isn't your injector scaling, but I'm obviously no expert :lol: What are your latencies? I stuck with stock values

·
Registered
4,699 Posts

I've tried a whole bunch already. From stock latencies to 13v-1.08 and 14v-.97.

I search again last night for tuning these injectors and found a Cobb work guide I hadn't seen before, with DW 819 injectors. What's strange is the scaler is set at 3080. I think it's a typo and is supposed to be DW 850 injectors cause I couldn't find anything about DW 819 sidefeeds when I searched google. The latency numbers are quite a bit different than stock too.

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/subaru/AccessTUNER Calibration & Tuning Guide Worksheet for Subarus v1.50.xlsx

Notice this is the v1.5 tuning calibration guide, the link doesn't work on Cobb's website where they have all their guides, I found it in a Cobbforum thread. https://forums.cobbtuning.com/forums/showthread.php?72100-fuel-injector-calibration-06-legacy-gt-spec-b-w-accesstuner-race

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #206 (Edited)

Yep that looks like a mistake on the 819's. I'm thinking I may have dw 740's. According to the scaling fomula and that chart I'm right where the 740's land. I bought them used and was told they were 850's but they look the same so I really couldn't tell. Either way 740's are plenty for me.

Maybe you have to tweak your MAF. I would consult acejam on how its done without a dyno as I know he's done it before.

Before touching the MAF I would try re-setting the ecu and raise injector latency until your short term and a/f learning are very close to zero across the entire MAF range, assuming the ecu is still trying to add fuel. Higher latency = more fuel. This is pretty much what Cobb says to do to find the best latencies for your injectors. Obviously if you have to go unreasonably high something else is messing with it

·
Registered
4,699 Posts

That's exactly why I've been trying different settings. I may have been shafted as well. Stock latencies they scale as 650s. Worst thing is, I bought them used from a tuning shop that has a good reputation in the area and was told they're 850. If I can't get any good numbers this weekend I'll be talking with the tuner to see if he has any pointers.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #209

Damn that sucks. Again, no problem and good luck in your tuning journey

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #210

So I have a line on two different sets of coilovers right now. I'm glad I checked some forums before I went with the fortune autos. Its tough finding good used coilovers for 5x100 hubs. Now I just need to decide which set to go with. Just have to wait and see what I end up with :D

My CEL popped on today and gave me a little scare since it came on right after a little boost. It was just the catalyst efficiency code that you get when you don't run a cat. I found this interesting though, since I'm using a stage 2 map from Cobb and that dtc should be disabled. Oh well, no biggie

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #213

So I ended up ordering the fortune auto coilovers. As I did more and more research on the used set I was looking at I became less interested in them. The forune autos should be just fine, I'm very excite! 10k up front and 8k out back. I got the roller bearing upgrade along with optional rear camber plates. I didn't bother with the swift upgrade since I'll probably be messing with my rates a little. Cygnus Performance is a great place to do business with, awesome customer service :tup:

To another subject. I've had annoying rattles from my engine compartment since I installed my AMR top mount. While installing it I also noticed my up pipe hestshield was broken and flopping around. I discovered some wear marks on my hood and IC from the two rubbing, shown below. Yikes.

So I took a hammer and socket wrench and did some one minute body work :lol: The shiny/black area in the second pic was from the rubbing, not my socket wrench/hammer combo.

You can see where the washer nozzle hose rubs in this pic on the rear end tank, along with wear the corner rubs on the hood.

Saying this IC fits tight is a slight understatement. I duct taped the washer hose to the hood to see how the rattling was after my awesome body work. Its exactly the same :lol: It must be my up pipe heatshield. I also notice a noise based on wheel speed now and when I'm on the brakes going around tight right corners I can feel the ABS kick in for a millisecond for every rotation of the wheel. Probably the right front wheel bearing pooping out. No noticeable play in it yet though. I'll clean my wheel speed sensors and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Coilovers on the way!

You should contact Fortune Auto and Cygnus right away. I would loose those roller bearings and get the new bearing they just released. The roller bearings was a short term fix for people who kept complaining about how much bind they had (IMO) and they will need to be cleaned all the time on a DD. The new ones are a sealed unit and will last much longer. Maybe Cygnus isn't aware of them or is just trying to sell some stock but I would really recommend looking into it. Don't want to have to pull them off the car before absolutely necessary. I wish they had them when I bought mine. I will probably upgrade some parts when it is time to rebuild them. They have made some huge improvements over the v3's, kinda makes me wish I had waited to buy mine.

EDIT: It looks like they are only $30 more than the rollers (not sure what you paid to "upgrade" to the roller bearings). Web Store - Fortune Auto North America

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #215 (Edited)

Dammut! The roller upgrade is free from Cygnus so no big deal if they can't change it, I'll email them and see what's up. Thanks Matt.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Cool, free is good! At least you didn't get screwed into buying an obsolete product. I would still recommend getting the new ones and tossing the rollers. I would have these already but I am to lazy to pull my coilovers just to install them haha.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #217 (Edited)

Cool, free is good! At least you didn't get screwed into buying an obsolete product. I would still recommend getting the new ones and tossing the rollers. I would have these already but I am to lazy to pull my coilovers just to install them haha.
Geoff from Cygnus is gonna see what he can do in the morning :tup: I even saw those new bearings on the site and it didn't click in my head :lol:

UPDATE: They're being built with the new radial bearings!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Coilovers have arrived!

I am jealous of the new versions of their coilovers! I would love to upgrade but am too cheap to do so. Maybe I will examine the cost when it is time to rebuild the shocks and see if it makes sense to at least replace a few parts to the newer ones.

Can't wait to see how you do on course with the new suspension and tires!

201 - 220 of 1253 Posts