IW STi Forum banner

181 - 200 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Spring rate suggestions?

Yay for paying co-drivers! He was a cool guy to (Sorry, I have forgotten his name). I will be a fun dual driver grid for sure!

Sucks about the Fedex shipment. They have problems sometimes. Recently at my work a Fedex customer service person (from Central America or some shit) said an item that we were waiting for was "out for delivery" but in fact it was buried in a truck with 10,000 other packages. Hope it gets resolved quickly for you.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #182 (Edited)

Yay for paying co-drivers! He was a cool guy to (Sorry, I have forgotten his name). I will be a fun dual driver grid for sure!

Sucks about the Fedex shipment. They have problems sometimes. Recently at my work a Fedex customer service person (from Central America or some shit) said an item that we were waiting for was "out for delivery" but in fact it was buried in a truck with 10,000 other packages. Hope it gets resolved quickly for you.
(Christian) lol, he probably lurks on here since he has an 07 wrx now.

I hope so too, my car is acting weird between 0 psi and 5 psi. It just feels dead and I really wanna see what's going on. Oh well. The waiting game begins. Again.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #183

UPDATE: Now I'm bullshit. First off it was in my mail box. The fedex delivery notice online said it was left at my front door. Since when does fedex leave things in your mail box? Anyway they sent me the v2b cable. Totally different and 100% wrong. Now I'll go through what happened when I emailed cobb about the first broken one. It took them two days to reply to my email, which they stated with an automtated response. Ok that's fine, I could have called them. After we got things squared away through e-mail I was told they were sending one out via fedex Next day air on friday and it should arrive monday. I got an email notice friday night that it had been picked up from cobb and was on it's way, via FedEx ground and was scheduled to arrive Wednesday :mad: So I basically paid 120ish dollars to get a broken dongle overnighted and then a week later receive the wrong one. I'm ready to go with a tactrix cable. Hopefully cobb will send out the right one and dismiss all charges or something, I'll find out.

/End rage session :lol:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #184

Cobb overnighted another dongle to me and it is scheduled to arrive today, although it may not due to this storm that came from no where. Cobbs customer service is great, it just seems their shipping branch made a few mistakes. It was just a frustrating series of events.

I broke out the gopro for the ride to work figuring it might be interesting due to the unexpected snow. I'll upload the footage when I get home (if I do :lol:) and edit it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Ninja storm!

Got the new dongle yesterday and it works! I took a quick peek at things on the way to work this morning and things seem ok. The video I took on the way to work didnt come out so hot. I forgot how distorted the sound gets when its mounted to the window. To sum it up, there was a lot of snow. 4-8 inches were expected and we got 22 inches :eek:

Maybe I'll try some tuning tomorrow :naughty:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Re: Willub's 04 STi: I can finally start tuning!

What map are you using? Isn't the EFI one locked?
Yep! I'm going to try starting on cobbs stage 2 map and go from there. I drove around on the stage 2 map while EFI was making me a base map. I got a code for the car running too rich obviously, due to the unscaled injectors but it drove fine other than that and I still got 18ish mpg. I just need to go through Cobb's guide again to refresh my brain. I won't have to mess with MAF scaling since I still have the stock airbox. I'm not going to push it yet, just see how everything works and what changes with what I change in the map. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

Nice, curious to hear how easy/hard you find it. I thought about tuning myself open source in the past, but once I got tuned by Bren there was no reason to mess with the car again.

Funnily enough, basic MAF tuning is the one thing I did learn how to do, and I made small changes when I still had that APS intake. I'm sure there are settings for 850's somewhere on the Cobb or RomRaider forums that you could use as a starting point.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #189

Yeah, in Cobb's guide they use DW 850's as an example for injector scaling and latency :lol: How convenient!

·
Registered
4,699 Posts

DW has their latency chart on their website for the 850 injectors. It's just a starting point though, you may need to tweak it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #191

DW has their latency chart on their website for the 850 injectors. It's just a starting point though, you may need to tweak it.
Yep, the 850's use stock latencies. Easy peasy. I need to get ATR loaded to a laptop and then I'll be able to fine tune the injector scaling, real time. It turns out I will be fine tuning the MAF after all. Cobb suggests tuning it up to 2.6 volts once the injector scaling is dialed in, just to be safe and keep a/f corrections as small as possible. I may have to scale it up top as well if I max it out. I'm also going to lower target boost, even though its only 17 psi on cobbs map. I'm not sure how the grimmspeed ebcs affects boost yet so I'm keeping it low until I figure it out. I started on the 91 map as well and run 93, so everything should be relatively safe. I hope :lol:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #192 (Edited)

I'm driving the car around on my first base tune. I haven't had time to get ATR on to a laptop yet so I haven't done any real time tuning yet. Basically all I've done so far is scale the injectors using the formula to get it close and cut my wastegate duty cycles in half across the board in both the high and low tables. My a/f corrections are around +5% when cruising or at idle so I'll tweak that with real time injector scaling down to zeroish. When I put my foot into it further the corrections go up and up, so I definitely have to scale the MAF. I can do that real time as well so it should be pretty easy. Then comes the fun stuff. Upping wastegate duty cycles and messing with turbo dynamics shenanigans, until I can get it to boost properly. I should be able to steal a laptop tomorrow and get to it.

If anyone has any suggestions, tips or comments feel free!

Change of topic- Coilovers will be ordered within the next couple days :D

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Re: Willub's 04 STi: First tune kinda done!

I'm doing some tuning myself. For 850 inj, APS turbo inlet and a larger TMIC. Everything I see says that if your MAF is stock, don't mess with the scaling. But I have LTFC A) -2, B) +10, C) +15 D) +10. Fuel correction at idle is +/- 0-75. I'm not sure if I have to go and mess with the scaling and latency, or if the maf needs to be calibrated for my mods. I was going to start a thread on it, I just need to learn how to use googledoc for my log.

·
Registered
672 Posts

I'm doing some tuning myself. For 850 inj, APS turbo inlet and a larger TMIC. Everything I see says that if your MAF is stock, don't mess with the scaling. But I have LTFC A) -2, B) +10, C) +15 D) +10. Fuel correction at idle is +/- 0-75. I'm not sure if I have to go and mess with the scaling and latency, or if the maf needs to be calibrated for my mods. I was going to start a thread on it, I just need to learn how to use googledoc for my log.
You are correct in that you shouldnt touch the MAF scaling (if it is stock intake) and focus solely on latency and scaling to get your fueling dialed.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts

Intake being the MAF housing and air box? The turbo inlet isn't a part of the "intake"? Correct.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #196

That's what I read as well, until I read cobbs guide. They suggest tuning it up to 2.6 volts even with the stock maf housing if you have to scale injectors. I guess Ill re-read that part just to be sure. I'll tweak the injector scaling and see what happens with my trims. Will update tomorrow with the results.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #197

You are correct in that you shouldnt touch the MAF scaling (if it is stock intake) and focus solely on latency and scaling to get your fueling dialed.
Hmmm. DW 850's are supposed to use the same latencies as stock injectors from what I've read. So once my scaling is spot on I should be all set.

Nothing after the MAF in my mind should affect it, such as my aftamaf hose and inlet. So if scaling the injectors doesn't fix my issue of leaning out under more throttle, it must be latencies. We'll see what happens

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #199

Alrighty then, I'll see what I can figure out tomorrow with some real time tuning. Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
4,699 Posts

Hmmm. DW 850's are supposed to use the same latencies as stock injectors from what I've read. So once my scaling is spot on I should be all set.

Nothing after the MAF in my mind should affect it, such as my aftamaf hose and inlet. So if scaling the injectors doesn't fix my issue of leaning out under more throttle, it must be latencies. We'll see what happens
I'm not sure if Cobb's stage 2 map has skewed latencies, but I used the latencies right off DW website and it wasn't the same as what Cobb had on their stage 2 MAP.

Changing turbo inlets or after-MAF hoses will definitely change the MAF scaling.
Ok. So the next thing to do is scale my MAF? I can see why, as the volume of space after the MAF to the cylinders is larger with my mods. And why I see the correction taper at LTFT-D.

I don't have a dyno. Do I have to climb hills to scale the MAF, or can it be done on a flat steady part of the highway? I understand I have to stay out of the enrichment tables.

Sorry for butting in Willub. But maybe we can figure things out together. :tup:

181 - 200 of 1253 Posts