IW STi Forum banner

Will there be an '05 STi on the way?

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  GregsSTi 
#1 ·
How fast can you spin a CD

I won't be able to get an '04 STi. Can't afford it yet as i just graduated college in may. I have a really good job, better then expected, but i won't be able to save up enough for a down payment until probally next spring/summer.

Will there be a '05 STi and beyond?

#5 ·
2005 STi Guess

My guess is that Subaru will wait for Mitsubishi's '04 Evo to come out. Then Subaru will release the '05 STi with better specs and performance than that Evo around Oct 2004. October's normally the beginning of the new model year for most manufacturers.

Who knows, maybe there'll be a car that you like ... dare I say it? ... better than the STi. :eek:

#6 ·
? Change the sti after one year with problems in that year? I only suppose the difference would be a fixed ecu or whatever the pinging problem is. I dont think there is going to be a "better" evolution. People are predicting 6speeds and such, but I have a friend who lives 4 minutes away from my house and imported an EVo VII (a real evo) from japan and said that the 6spds there are already being recalled over there... so I doubt that will be out for a while. Although maybe special features like AYC and maybe some extra hp *dont know how from the factory, but.. *shrug* believe what you want tho. I'd just wait until the actual companies have something.

Robert~

#7 ·
TerraJumper said:
...Subaru will release the '05 STi with better specs and performance than that Evo...
my 2005 sti guess: the 05 will only be fine-tuned; e.g. interior tweaks (of which i can think of several), ecu tweaks, maybe a sunroof option :roll:. (in '06, they may change that annoying front diff with the freaky off-thottle behavior.)

in the bigger picture, i think subey did the right thing giving us a 2.5L instead of a 2.0L. this may have positioned the sti comfortably ahead of the evo for the forseeable future, at least power-wise. sure, you can get more power our of a 2.0, but at what cost? the evo is already running quite high boost. bottom line: whatever a 2.0L can do, a 2.5L can do better. ;) now suspension...that's another story. i think it's clear the evo wins here with the sti playing catchup.

#8 ·
also what about strut bars? doesnt the evo 8 come with factory strut tower bars and such. That and when it comes to comparing the evo and STI in magainzes and such, they dont ever tell us what DCCD settings they use. Maybe an STI set in auto performs a little underpar compared to the evo. but i'd like to see someone at least tweak with the STi's dccd and take it up against the evo, that and maybe add tower bars, just to have an even fight. I understand the evo8 still might be ahead somewhat, but I can out handle my friend's evo 8 (with strut bars and such), then again I guess hes just kinda a novice at driving anyways. There just seems that there are a lot of factors with the handling and the STI vs the evo, which just has one setting and go. *shrug* i dunno , I just figured there was more to it then just turning on the STI and taking some corners.

Robert~

#9 ·
I'm wondering the same thing...I "may" be ordering/purchasing an '04 STi near December/January. But I want to first see if they figure out what the deal is with the detonation. Second, I want to see how people are doing in the snow with their STis (not that it snows in San Francisco, but I go up to Tahoe quite a bit). Thirdly, I want to see what, if any, changes they plan to make for the 2005. I'm not even sure when they announce such changes; but if they're significant, I think I could hold off and put my name on the list or order an '05...although it may be a long wait till next summer :(

#12 ·
... so when I order my STi in January 2004 (for a March 2004 delivery... that way I can get my 1000 miles logged quickly in the spring ! having it sit during the winter would be nuts... ) I'll be getting a MY 2005 STi ?

Does the MY2005 production start in October 2004 for Subaru ?

#14 ·
I am planning on buying a Sti next year around May or so. What do you think the chances of me getting a hold of a 2004 still. I just figure that there is always someone somewhere selling their car because of unexpected cost and so on. :) I am kind of curious of what the price difference would be between a used one and a new one.

#15 ·
Depends on miles.... usually not much difference with under 5k miles or so. After that it's a sliding scale. But IMO buying one year used isn't worth it, considering you're not saving much, and you won't know the car's history, and whether it's been properly handled, any previous dammage, etc, etc.

#17 ·
When I get one, i will never sell it. I'll be satisfied with how little it depreciated considering it is a very limited car. Also, since I get a company car (have to wait 4 more months for that to kick in though) i'm only going to put night and weekend miles on it to show it off. I want to keep it in the best condition i can for as long as i can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.