IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the 07 has taller gearing. I believe this will help quite a bit on most autox tracks. What do you think?

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
It would be sweet if our 2nd gear was a bit taller, however I heard the gears affected didnt include 2nd...

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
uhmm... im 90% sure that the 2nd and 3rd are a bit longer, or taller; but i kept hearing that this would hurt autox?

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
^ I dont think so, but yeah a taller 2nd gear would HELP our STi's a good bit...

·
Registered
403 Posts
from the news and rumours forum:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60841

1st / 2nd / 3rd / 4th / 5th / 6th

35.4 / 57.6 / 84.6 / 113.2 / 132.5 / 170.2

That's a small improvement for the 07 in second gear, but it lists a lower power and engine torque rating:

Horsepower 293 @ 6,000 rpm (SAE Certified)
Torque 290 lb.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm (SAE Certified)

I know the speed in 2nd gear would help some, but many of the courses around here can be run at 65+ mph. Corvettes with their 70 mph 2nd gear still have an advantage.

·
3,274 Posts
The lower HP and torque ratings are due to how SAE reclassified the way to measure HP and torque. IIRC this is mostly proding by the American manufacturers to reclassify it so their cars will look better compared to the imports. It seems the imports were the ones who have had to change their ratings the most.

·
Registered
535 Posts
thunderbird said:
from the news and rumours forum:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60841

1st / 2nd / 3rd / 4th / 5th / 6th

35.4 / 57.6 / 84.6 / 113.2 / 132.5 / 170.2

That's a small improvement for the 07 in second gear, but it lists a lower power and engine torque rating:

Horsepower 293 @ 6,000 rpm (SAE Certified)
Torque 290 lb.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm (SAE Certified)

I know the speed in 2nd gear would help some, but many of the courses around here can be run at 65+ mph. Corvettes with their 70 mph 2nd gear still have an advantage.
So you still can't hit 60 in 2nd? Lame. Looks like you don't have to hit 5th for the 1/4 anymore though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
kts262 said:
The lower HP and torque ratings are due to how SAE reclassified the way to measure HP and torque. IIRC this is mostly proding by the American manufacturers to reclassify it so their cars will look better compared to the imports. It seems the imports were the ones who have had to change their ratings the most.
Yep. They standardized the tests to require the accessories attached and running, pump fuel, etc. Some manufacturers already tested this way; others are now reporting lower numbers. Same motor, same power as before. Just a different test.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts