IW STi Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
put them on over the weekend. super simple install. Good job RA.
and yes, i know the shocker is played out, but i sell them, so when people ask me about it i just sell them some as i always carry them with me :D and its always fun to see chicks pull up behind me and start trying to figure out what that means with their hands :D

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Personally I like the RA flaps, but would also cover the entire flare with paint protection film. They come with a small piece from the factory, and there is a TSB for a larger sized version to be re-fitted. Your best bet though is having a specially designed full flare piece installed along with the flaps.

There was a black STI at a GTG on Saturday with a huge chip just above the factory (increased sized version) piece. Must have hit something pretty large. Not sure how the film would have fared, but I am sure it would be better to have the area covered than not. Flaps might have also saved it too.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Personally I like the RA flaps, but would also cover the entire flare with paint protection film. They come with a small piece from the factory, and there is a TSB for a larger sized version to be re-fitted. Your best bet though is having a specially designed full flare piece installed along with the flaps.
Above post is dead on. I have the RA ur flaps all the way around and once i put on a set of BF Goodrich g force super sport a/s they started spitting gravel and anti skid. Chips all down the back door/wheel well seam. Trying to get an answer from Goodrich if it is normal for these tires? Anyone else running them?

Where is this tsb? Where can i get a hold of it. This car has more issues than it is worth really.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Didn't read this whole post but I'll toss in my .02. I have a OBP 08 and I put on the front RA flaps on day one. I agree the backs look silly and don't do much. Despite lots of gravel roads and hard driving in snow, I have zero chips in front of the rear wheels.

Excellent investment.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I also have Rally Armor UR mud flaps on my 08, and have been "lucky" enough to drive up to Lake Tahoe several times already. The mud flaps block a lot of snow and road salt, but it will not block everything. Your car will still get salt spray all over, but after comparing it to another 08 STi w/o mud flaps (we ran across each other at a gas station), there is a significant difference.

Between the mud flaps and the piece of clear protective film, the fenders on my 08 is still rock chip free......knock on wood!

Also, take the time to install the rear flaps -- I originally installed the fronts only (ran out of sunlight :lol:), then installed the rear flaps prior to my next trip. Your hatch will show the difference those rear mud flaps make. Sure, there's still lots of salt spray at the back, but much less compared to not having the rear mud flaps.

One more thing -- make sure you get clear bra for the front of the car. I somehow messed up and didn't get this done :banghead: and now I completely regret it. Once the snowboard season is over, I'm getting my front bumper repainted and clear bra'd. It sucks to see my STi with 2.5k miles having more (and bigger) rock chips than my gf's 05 Civic with 36k miles. It's all on the front bumper, except for one on the hood.

Lastly, do a wash, claybar, and 2 coats of wax on the car asap. This makes it soooo much easier to clean the car after it gets really dirty. The 2 coats of wax also covers up most of the DISO (Dealer Installed Swirl Option :mad: )

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I had the flaps on since day one and still ended up with some paint damage on my aw 08. Had it repainted and the better film put on about 8k miles ago and only using the front flaps and i still get some chips in random places. They help a lot but they are definately not gods gift to no chips.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Lastly, do a wash, claybar, and 2 coats of wax on the car asap. This makes it soooo much easier to clean the car after it gets really dirty. The 2 coats of wax also covers up most of the DISO (Dealer Installed Swirl Option :mad: )
I'm glad I'm not the only one that was lucky enough to have this thrown in for no extra charge. I have two nice scratches that run from the rear window to the front mirror on the drivers side. Definitely had some dirt on whatever they were using to wash. It's going to take quite a bit of polishing to get those out. Unfortunately I think this car was washed a few times since it was a trade from another dealer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Both front and rear yes, Chips on the rear fender in the door gap at the rear door and also above the paint protector strips. (I think mine are the smaller clear protectors for non repaired paint)

Unrelated but, I got a rock chip on the leading edge of the hood and it went throught the paint and prime. It was starting to rust within 3 days.

Uber unrelated I have 3 specs of rust coming out throught the paint above the rear license plate RH upper screw hole. HOLY **** SUBARU USE SOME CHEAPER ****ING PAINT!!!! I can't throw a proper tantrum becasue the swear filter will block it...LAME! BTW if you missed it above I have 1600 miles today.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Uber unrelated I have 3 specs of rust coming out throught the paint above the rear license plate RH upper screw hole. HOLY **** SUBARU USE SOME CHEAPER ****ING PAINT!!!! I can't throw a proper tantrum becasue the swear filter will block it...LAME! BTW if you missed it above I have 1600 miles today.
This is more than likely paint contamination. The rust is probably coming from metal slivers that have embedded themselves into the paint. You should clay bar the rear gate to eliminate the contamination.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I clay barred and waxed the car (2 coats) its second wash. Looks great with no chips that are obvious. Around 10k miles so far. Proper paint car should keep the paint tough.

Well, I lied. I do have a windshield chip. Got to call Progressive, but it's small and I've been lazy about it.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Mine have worked great so far. I also have a clearbra on the front and a few other key areas around the car. No chips or door dings yet in 14 months.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.