IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process or purchasing new wheels+tires.
I was thinking: Since my STI (04 no DCCD) is set to distribute 65% power to rear and 35% front, won't installing wider rear tires be good?

Will having let's say 235/45R/17 or even 245 at the back and 225/45R/17 at the front be good? (might be 18inch, not that it matters for this question).
Since more power is being sent to the rear, the rear might as well have more grip, like a Carrera 4, Audi RS4, Murcielago...

Is this a good idea? if so how come I don't see people doing that?

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
normally the reason behind larger rubber in the rear is to get the power to the ground better. Since most cars on drive 2 wheels, the other two can be smaller. This however brings up other handling problems.

as for on an sti, i have never seen it done.

·
IWSTI Club Level 11ty
5,687 Posts
it sounds like you will be gaining traction in the back allowing for understeer. our cours don't need more understeer.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The closest I have seen done like that was on an EVOs built by some Japanese tuning houses. They do the opposite though and put narrower RIMS(not tires) on the BACK of the car to try an get more oversteer out of the car.

As far as staggered width tires on any AWD car, you must make sure that they have the same diameter on all four corners or else your diffs will be very unhappy and can fail.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
La Mer said:
it sounds like you will be gaining traction in the back allowing for understeer. our cours don't need more understeer.
On a stock STI, ture.

But theoretically, on a suspension tuned STI. With struts, sways, Coilovers lowering the front, basically as little understeer possible, it can work out good - wider tires at the rear.
I think..?

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
are you having oversteer issues?

·
resigned
5,609 Posts
tphss said:
On a stock STI, ture.

But theoretically, on a suspension tuned STI. With struts, sways, Coilovers lowering the front, basically as little understeer possible, it can work out good - wider tires at the rear.
I think..?
I cant see any reason to take the chance for the little bit that you would gain and the potential headaches you could run into...

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
you probably want to rethink your sizing.
make sure that both front and rear tires have the SAME outside diameter. you don't want to break any diffs.

225/45R17 and 245/40R17 are pretty closely matched, i think you can get away with it.

are you planning to run different wheel sized also, or just different tire sized on the same wheels ?

ps: if it was me, i'd just put 245/40/R17 on all four corners, instead of just in the back. wait a second... i did ;)

J.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Wait. Do you have some horrible traction problem?

And wheres that thread that preaches that thee contact patch does not increase with a wider tire

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
flatthump said:
Wait. Do you have some horrible traction problem?

And wheres that thread that preaches that thee contact patch does not increase with a wider tire
at least not in a straight line :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I talking ofcourse only on changing the WIDTH of the rear tires, not anything else.

So Ver7wannabe and jph, I mean using the same diameter rims all around. Only having bit widers tires mounted at the rear.

·
OT stealth mod
4,261 Posts
tphss said:
I talking ofcourse only on changing the WIDTH of the rear tires, not anything else.

So Ver7wannabe and jph, I mean using the same diameter rims all around. Only having bit widers tires mounted at the rear.
but tire width affects tire diameter too.....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
T3h_Clap said:
are you having oversteer issues?
For now, understeer. But i'm buying Sways, endlinks, Whiteline ALK or Perrin PSRS and Prodrive or Tein springs that will lower the car (front more then rear), that will have a great effect on the understeer I assume.

·
OT stealth mod
4,261 Posts
La Mer said:
meaning a 225/45/17 will not have the same overall diameter as a 245/45/17......make sure the diameters are the same.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
it would make more sense to put wider tires in the front due to the fact that understeer is bad.

plus the only time the wider rear tires will be a benefit is mid corner, and then your front tires will have less potential grip then the rears. therefore potentially decreasing oversteer tendancies.

I say go all the way around same size so you can still rotate your tires.

no point in doing wider rears.

·
Registered
581 Posts
jph said:
you probably want to rethink your sizing.
make sure that both front and rear tires have the SAME outside diameter. you don't want to break any diffs.

225/45R17 and 245/40R17 are pretty closely matched, i think you can get away with it.

are you planning to run different wheel sized also, or just different tire sized on the same wheels ?

ps: if it was me, i'd just put 245/40/R17 on all four corners, instead of just in the back. wait a second... i did ;)

J.
Running 225/45R17 and 245/40R17 together will wreck your differentials.

However, 225/45R17 and 255/40R17 are extremely closely matched (.2% difference), whereas 245/40R17 has a 2% shorter diameter.

You have to look at the RPM specs on the tire you're buying. Different manufacturers and models have diameter figures that can be off even over 1% comparing from tire to tire. An example of this is the T1-R versus the RE070. The T1-R in 225/45R17 does 825 revolutions per mile whereas the RE070 does 843. That's enough to cause some serious harm to your car. This is why you can't mix and match tires of different models and sizes without making sure the diameter is equal. Sizes between manufacturers are often not equal.

I would like to try 255/40R17 on the front and 225/45R17 on the rear. I am guessing the added front grip of this combination will shift the balance of the car toward oversteer. This would make the car harder to drive (since it would be more likely to spin), but it would more easily rotate.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
smurfm3 said:
Running 225/45R17 and 245/40R17 together will wreck your differentials.

However, 225/45R17 and 255/40R17 are extremely closely matched (.2% difference), whereas 245/40R17 has a 2% shorter diameter.
<s>i beg to differ.</s>

EDIT: nevermind... it looks like i based my calculations on a typo ;)

ps: IIRC SOA wants all tires to be within 2% of each other. so 225/45R17 and 245/40R17 should be within spec.
but you're right, a 255/40R17 would be a better match ;)

J.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts