IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Read it this morning. The big problem is that the data is not controlled. Customers are sending in their samples with their stated oil interval. Are they lying? Are they using a dirty oil pan to collect the samples? Who knows ???.... Besides, those sending the samples are probably modded and have a hell a lot more wear (or less wear) from the internals, power levels, whatever else they have.

I don't know man :confused:... thats why those "oil threads" online have 20+pages:rolleyes:.. and snake oils still exist :lol:

EDIT
MODS move this tread to the appropriate forum section. Thanks :tup:

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I didn't read it, but I can say this... ^ We've done an oil analysis on every shop car since new to whatever it is now. At least 10 years worth of data on one car, 4 on another and 2 on the newest. The analysis kits have instructions with them and a clean sample container, so I would think the results should be accurate to what's IN the engine's oil at the point of the oil change.

·
Super Moderator
8,406 Posts
Two things...

1. Driving usage would be what I would want to actually make a comparison as regular, competent driving doesn't require anything more special from one oil to the next.

2. Brotella did really well. :)

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
I going to ignore this one. It says there was no difference and failed to provide any actual results. They could have at least given averages for each oil. But with no real control or knowledge the point is moot.

It also mentions minuscule amounts of metal in all the oils. ttwice a miniscule amount will be minuscule, but could easily be consequential. if you counted the metal in your bearings that had to be removed to get them out of spec, and divied that up between 10 or 20 or 50 or 100 oil changes how many pts/M would there be? Isn't the surface only few mils thick till you hit copper?

Hum... no Motul in the table ? I thought it is a popular motor oil
I don't believe Motul is a popular oil. It is to expensive to be popular

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
There are lower grades of Motul, but generally shops carry the better and more expensive grades. Motul does offer others. What was it you were quoted?

·
pwn n00bs
18,213 Posts
$40 is crazy, that's what sucks...Rotella 5w40 is about $20 for a jug at wally world, and one of the best oils. to me, it all depends on your build and motor. I know i used 20w-50 vr1 on my last motor. stock motors love the rotella t6...if you have a built, ask your builder, they know what works. just "picking" one isn't always the best option.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I briefly skimmed this article before i closed it out to be honest. There are just so many variables when it comes to oil analysis. I like how they start with comparing the EJ 2.5L and then end it up with "it supports my choice to use cheap Walmart brand oil in my old Jeeps"

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
$40 is crazy, that's what sucks...Rotella 5w40 is about $20 for a jug at wally world, and one of the best oils. to me, it all depends on your build and motor. I know i used 20w-50 vr1 on my last motor. stock motors love the rotella t6...if you have a built, ask your builder, they know what works. just "picking" one isn't always the best option.
Rotella is 3.75q for $21 so you still need another jug

·
Registered
48 Posts
Jalopnik kinda says it all really , stop following them a while back because they're full of nonsense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts