IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Headers sale

Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Road and Track, Sport Compact Car, etc. all prefer EVO to STI. Are they really race drivers? All they are looking for ultimately is: race? Don't they look at it from the consumer perspective? Any thoughts?

M

·
0 Posts
There were a lot of factors that went into those tests, but I would say the number one reason why the Evo was picked (in fair tests because a lot weren't) was the price difference.

Many reviewers felt that what you got from the STi did not warrant how much more it initially cost.

However, there were a lot of other factors including Evo's which were substantially stronger than the ones actually released, not to mention strong consideration of the amount of advertising dollars spent by both companies (and don't kid yourself if you don't think that's important, :)), not too mention the Evo was the new kid on the block whereas the STi was just another albeit faster WRX.

And finally, I have noticed a lot of these magazines slowly changing their 0-60 times and other performance measurements for the Evo, to bring them in line with the reality of the car as it comes stock. Before, they were listing them at like 4.6 0-60, and now they are all showing 5.0+ which is far more realistic.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ya 0-60 in 5.x and 1/4 of 13.9-14.x in reality as well. Bunch of magazines were way off.

Robert~

·
Registered
389 Posts
These reviews were done by almost pure performance on the tracks. The Evo was largely picked due to its nature at 95% driving that 95% of people cannot achieve. If they had done a more balanced review, it *would* have been much different. I think you will find the Sti winning most future reviews that entail a review of packs of cars in their ranges put up against each other that dont focus on pure performance, something that the Evo will fail at.

I think it should win at perf 95%+ which is only .0001% of how these cars are really driven in the real world.

Mind you, even at this in reviews like car & driver, the Evo only won by one point. But it was given to the Evo because it was more stable at racing speeds.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
y2ks2k said:
Mind you, even at this in reviews like car & driver, the Evo only won by one point. But it was given to the Evo because it was more stable at racing speeds.
and cost less lol ;)

Robert~

·
Registered
89 Posts
Didn't those magazine reviews come out months ago? I thought we were over it by now. Seriously, do we need another thread about this?

Go drive your car and be happy. Quit trying to justify your purchase, as there is no need to.

·
Registered
376 Posts
stats and 1/4th times

not to sound so biased, but cmon now, notice how cheap the evo looks? sure i do like how it looks, and yeah it's an awsome car, but the sti is so much more refined...how many drivers out there are actually gonna seriously race these things? the subaru is more balanced for most consumers....you get the performance and the quality...the evos just feel cheap to me...give it a couple years, like a 5 year later review, then we'll see what the magazines say..

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Evo's price advantage now - GONE, STi are now available @ invoice or little higher, no need to pay MSRP
Evo interior - horrible
STi tuning potential - VERY HIGH (see Shiv's stage 1 posts)
EVO handling - little better on the racetrack ONLY, meaning u need to see your chiropractor on weekly basis if u get EVO as a daily commuter..
EVO got great seats, gotta give them that...
STi is MUCH better overall value and better overall car, IMO..

·
Registered
208 Posts
I wouldnt say that the Evo is slow....or the Sti is fast!
We all know that if any of these cars are faster than the other, its by a very small margin, and that depends on how they are being driven.
My experience with these cars started late last year when I drove an Evo 6 and a bug-eye STI in Europe. Then I got the chance to drive a friend's US Evo to compare my STI.
The issue is whoever test driving an Evo is getting smacked by it! Because it's general nervous behaivor, because the 19psi turbo kicks in late and instant, and because almost all reactions from the car are too obvious and show-off. For this reason, it 'FEELS' a bit more impressive, IMO it's not that much! Our cars are much smoother all around; when it comes to power and cornering, you may get a lesser 'FEEL' than you get in an Evo. Also the boxer engine's noise tricks most! At first, whoever revs it thinks that it's going to 15000rpm. In reality the power sits at way lower rpm than they can imagine!
May be that's why those "expert" drivers opt for Evo with a small margin at the end of their test.
They should be let to drive each car for at least 1 week! Then they'll wake-up to reality...

·
Registered
983 Posts
mistkerl said:
not too mention the Evo was the new kid on the block whereas the STi was just another albeit faster WRX.
Evo is just a faster Lancer as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
LaZy4zNbOi said:
Mitsu dumped a fat wad of cash on the magazine's desk. end of story.
I test drove an EVO after much hassling with the dealer and I test drove an STi (no dealer would let me no matter how much hassling so I found someone willing to let me take it for a spin). Simply put: the STi was a better car. I had read all of the magazines before hand and expected the EVO to have falcon like handling. I didn't really notice that big a difference. Besides the fact that the steering wheel seemed to turn faster it didn't seem like the car was any more stable in hairpin turns. What I did notice was turbo laaaagggg. I wasn't about to trade up my '03 WRX for a car that had the same problems.

I think peoples perspective would change if it were easier to test drive an STi. Meanwhile the only thing people have to go on is the friggin magazines, but I don't trust them. How can you trust the magazines when one prints 0-60 in 4.6 and another puts it at 5.x??? I think they doctored the results. They probably did ten runs with their best driver in an evo and picked the best... Then they put the janitor in the STi and pick the worst.

Bottom line: can't trust anyone but yourself.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what the hell happend?

I test drove an EVO also before I bought the STI. I agree that EVO has quite a bit of turbo lag. And the STI is so smooth and the power band is very wide. Power is available almost at any rpm range. I do notice that EVO's suspension is very stiff and it jarred a lot. I guess the suspension is tuned for track use. But the STI is comfortable in comparison. I even feel that my STI rides a bit better than my Type R and its handling rivals my R. Of the three, EVO has the stiffest suspension. I am glad that I got the STI since it is my daily driver. For track use, I guess the EVO is better handling wise.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks

Dang it all!

Why don't all those car magazine guys just buy a Ducati, an R1, or a CBR if they value performance so highly? They're lighter, faster, cheaper, more manuverable, and have engines that rev in the tens of thousands! The rest of us drive not on the racetrack, but mainly on the street. Read the magazines, but buy the car you like. Evos and STi are both great cars. I'm just glad there's not many of them on the road.

TerraJumper :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
i agree... boths are great fast cars where you can enjoy the speed with 3 guys COMFORTABLY at the same time. But i still prefer sti for its interior and exterior... way cool and meaner than evo8... sti rules!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Because they're CAR magazines :wink:

heh heh. Know how you feel, though.

TerraJumper said:
Dang it all!

Why don't all those car magazine guys just buy a Ducati, an R1, or a CBR if they value performance so highly? They're lighter, faster, cheaper, more manuverable, and have engines that rev in the tens of thousands! The rest of us drive not on the racetrack, but mainly on the street. Read the magazines, but buy the car you like. Evos and STi are both great cars. I'm just glad there's not many of them on the road.

TerraJumper :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts