IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
the 265/40/18 is going to be too tall. You'll rub on spots you wouldn't normally rub on.

If you're looking for a taller than stock tire the tallest you can really do is 26" or 255/40/18.
So the 255 will be lower then the 265 even though it is the same profile? I thought that it was just the change in width not height.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
So the 255 will be lower then the 265 even though it is the same profile? I thought that it was just the change in width not height.
the 2nd number is a % of width. So when width is higher and the 2nd number is the same the overall diameter increases.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the 2nd number is a % of width. So when width is higher and the 2nd number is the same the overall diameter increases.
AHH! good to know, didn't know that. how would I go about figuring the exact size of my tire with measurements. But a 255/40 would be much better then 265/40 on an 18x9.5?

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
AHH! good to know, didn't know that. how would I go about figuring the exact size of my tire with measurements. But a 255/40 would be much better then 265/40 on an 18x9.5?
You can do some math.

(Width * Aspect ratio * 2)/25.4 + Wheel Diameter = overall diameter. Stock is 25.7" so you want to be within .3" or so of stock.

considering 265/40/18 wont work the 255/40/18 is the better option between the two.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
I went from 265 to 275 (same tire company) on a +30 offset and let me tell you that such a minute change in width resulted in me getting an additional pull on the rear fenders.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I went from 265 to 275 (same tire company) on a +30 offset and let me tell you that such a minute change in width resulted in me getting an additional pull on the rear fenders.
:tup:

I went from 265/35 on 18x9.5 +40 to 275/40 on 17x9.5 +40 and required no additional fender work. Offset makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reviving an old thread. I ended up going with 275/35r18 BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S on 18x9 +55 OZ Ultraleggera's. No rubbing, no fender rolling.

Here are a a couple of pics:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Think you could have gone 285? I have a 18x9.5 et 38 wheel and access to some 285 wide tires at a decent price...

Fenders are pulled and rolled. Always on the look out for some 10's or 10.5's...

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Think you could have gone 285? I have a 18x9.5 et 38 wheel and access to some 285 wide tires at a decent price...

Fenders are pulled and rolled. Always on the look out for some 10's or 10.5's...
18x9 +55mm is very different compared to 9.5 +38mm.

285 on a 9" wheel isn't ideal, at that point it's simply to say you have a 285.

Fitting a 285 takes the right wheel, right suspension, right alignment and correct fender work.

We can go into it if you'd like, shoot me a PM as this topic isn't related to 285s.

·
Registered
44 Posts
soooo my current setup you see if work emotions 18x9.5 +38 on a 265 potenza re71r, camber specs are around -2.5F/-3.3R(yes fenders rolled and pulled)... I have some wheels coming in and the specs are 18x9.5+22, wondering if i can fit a 275 in there with that low of an offset without having too much ugly poke (while staying around -3ish camber). it'll poke 16mm more with the 275 vs 265, but will the low offset throw it all off or can it be done smoothly? I plan on raising the car maybe 3/4 to half an inch still undecided, just want that to tire fitment and clearly still want some function! any inputs very much appreciated

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
It's possible to fit, you'll need more camber in the rear. It's not ideal from a performance stand point, but if it's form > function thing you can make it "work".

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's possible to fit, you'll need more camber in the rear. It's not ideal from a performance stand point, but if it's form > function thing you can make it "work".
yeahhh was already mid -3ish camber in rear w the 265, and was still very functional thanks to the re71r's, thinking the only way to compensate and not go beyond that point with camber will be to raise the car... but keeping a 265 with w +22 offset may just be the perfect flush fitment without loosing some performance going 275 with that offset.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
yeahhh was already mid -3ish camber in rear w the 265, and was still very functional thanks to the re71r's, thinking the only way to compensate and not go beyond that point with camber will be to raise the car... but keeping a 265 with w +22 offset may just be the perfect flush fitment without loosing some performance going 275 with that offset.
The RE71Rs would've done even better with less rear camber ;)

There is no denying you're opting for a setup that has form in mind over function, just because it still grips and handles well doesn't mean it's at its best. :)

Either way, going down 16mm in offset is no joke. Up front it's clear you have the space and adding some more front camber will help (especially if you're running -3 rear).

The rear you could do some more fender pulling to give you more clearance while keeping camber at a reasonable level. Raising the car will make the wheel appear to poke more than it does when it's lower so be prepared for that.

The RE71R is a sweet tire, wish they made a 295.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The RE71Rs would've done even better with less rear camber ;)

There is no denying you're opting for a setup that has form in mind over function, just because it still grips and handles well doesn't mean it's at its best. :)

Either way, going down 16mm in offset is no joke. Up front it's clear you have the space and adding some more front camber will help (especially if you're running -3 rear).

The rear you could do some more fender pulling to give you more clearance while keeping camber at a reasonable level. Raising the car will make the wheel appear to poke more than it does when it's lower so be prepared for that.

The RE71R is a sweet tire, wish they made a 295.

lol very true, always room for improvement! I'll probably stick with a 265 and try to keep a to tire fitment versus a 275 poking a little hideous if i raise for it with a +22 offset. a 265 with the right heigh and camber should sit pretty nice and I'll have a good medium of form and function I'm hoping. going to give nt05's a shot as my next tire... appreciate the all the advice a ton!

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
That's already a non-function minded setup. Your current alignment specs are counter performance. You're not going to be able to fit 265s on those wheels without pokage much less 275s if you aren't intending are running a further degrading alignment setup, as he noted earlier. That's really a bad choice of a wheel setup. Not good for either performance or regular road worthiness.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
nt05s are terrible, especially after running RE71Rs. lol.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
The answer is yes. You'll rub

61 - 80 of 90 Posts