IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the front and rear bumper beams are made of steel (Heavy). Is this for body stiffness ??? I noticed on other vehicles that they are aluminum extrusions or egg crate design. I think they could saved a lot of weight on both ends.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
91TB78 said:
That's the first thought that came to my mind as well. If they were a lighter weight metal, I can't imagine them being safe in an accident.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I'm sure they are steel to also pass our 15mph crash tests as well. More of a safety feature for the engine, radiator, etc. Either way, I still think the steel beams are better for HUMAN safety than aluminum (butter) beams.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The 350z and I am almost sure its Infiniti counterpart the G35 use aluminium bumper beams and seam to pass crash tests just fine.

·
Banned
7,514 Posts
The JDM front bumper is actually smaller, and lighter than the USDM version. The change was for USDM regulations. Keep in mind - despite the performance Subaru is still very concerned about their safety image.

Me? I'd run the JDM beam if weight were a concern, but I would be sure to have a beam of one kind or another in there. If you're all that concerned about weight just take out your AC system.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
91TB78 said:
OR if you're concerned about weight....get on a fitness program and shed 10-15lbs. ;)
Or...do that AND get the lightweight bumpers ;)

Steel was chosen because it was cheap and effective. They didn't want the STi to end up in the $40k range so all the tricks couldn't be thrown at it. Plus this way we all have something to tinker with! I've been intending to fabricate a titanium rear bumper for the best strength - weight ratio but haven't gotten around to it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You mentioned removing the A/C. What would be the weight savings ?? I think everything is aluminum ... condenser, plumming ... etc. The compressor would be the only thing that would be of any savings. Maybe 5-10 lbs ???

·
Registered
628 Posts
There is 40-55 lbs to be lost through the AC system but keep in mind you then have no ac and no defroster without heat. I would like to fabricate one myself and offer it to the community but fear of lawsuits from ppl getting hurt after install have kept me at bay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You said fabricate. What would you need to do but to remove it ??? replace the compressor pulley with an idle pulley ??? I thought all you would need to do is get a smaller belt. I am interested in removing the system. I never use the A/C anyways. Just worry about resale. Not many people would buy the car without it. I Guess I could reinstall it.

Maybe we should be talking about this on another forum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.