IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems like our HID dont have the cool blue color taht alot of HIDs do....can anyone explain why? HIDs start off blue then gradually turn to the normal looking lamp color.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's because the choice of bulb's kelvin rating. Stock is 4300k, I put in 6000k bulbs, definately looks like HIDs. I've got a purplish tint in mine. :D Let me dig up some pics...

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
My previous Acura had the same "HID color temp" than the STi bulbs ... they don't have such a hard beam-cutoff like the BMW's HIDs though ...

The HIDs on Audi's look purpleish from certain angles ... pretty annoying ...

·
Registered
343 Posts
RLsChMiDt

Nice comparison shots. Do you get on-coming traffic flipping you the high beams? I love the look, just wondering if they are too bright.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Funniest beer commercial, evAR!!

yes thats true! but not by much! about the ratings
The bmw and audi look is becuase of there projiectters that are incased in the headlights.
How much did the 6k cost? I know when you go to 8K there just for looks not lighting

·
Registered
225 Posts
mn1028 said:
Isnt it true that the lower kelvin rated HIDs provide "more light" than the higher ones?
Yes, you are correct it is a well known fact the 4300k HIDs provide better light output.

Kelvin measurement is basically a measurement of the spectrum of colors light produces. 3500k is at the bottom giving a more redish tone and 6000k on the upper end of the spectrum being bluish. Sunlight is around 5000k so actually the optimum kelvin rating one would want would be 5000k. That is why 4300k produces better output than the higher ones.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
see now thats not entirly true ganson, every HID equipped car that comes from the factory is actually rated at 4300, i was told this by an HID manufactureer that supplys to bmw's, lexus, and other manu.'s but they do make the 8k bulbs though, as to why it looks different is becasue of the projiecters as i stated earlier! =)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yes, how much are those Phillips 6000 bulbs. They sure look good. :p

·
Registered
963 Posts
Re: EVO wing on STi

gtpark81 said:
seems like our HID dont have the cool blue color taht alot of HIDs do....can anyone explain why? HIDs start off blue then gradually turn to the normal looking lamp color.
Is it all temperature then? Does using different gases produce different colors?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sorry this took me so long to respond...

Email Dan @ Godspeed for pricing, he imports these bulbs because of the HID legality issues now. I honestly don't remember exactly what I paid. The 6000k bulbs made a pretty big difference if you ask me. I can see better now, that's for sure. I don't care what anyone says, 4300k is NOT optimum kelvin rating, mid 5000's is about perfect. That's why I wouldn't go with anything higher than 6000k. Look at the light on the ground and see how much "fuller" it is? I can't describe it, but the light seems to fill the area with thicker light.

·
Registered
225 Posts
FasStAsS_sTi said:
see now thats not entirly true ganson, every HID equipped car that comes from the factory is actually rated at 4300, i was told this by an HID manufactureer that supplys to bmw's, lexus, and other manu.'s but they do make the 8k bulbs though, as to why it looks different is becasue of the projiecters as i stated earlier! =)
Ooooops, I am sorry for passing on false information but you are correct. All factory HID's are rated at 4300k(found this after doing some research). I will change my original post, so that i do not confuse anyone.

I also found that 4100k is optimum lumen output at 3200 lumens.

·
Registered
668 Posts
also, in bad weather, a lower kelvin tends to provide better visibility. extremely white/blue/purple light reflects off water more causing more glare and doesn't illuminate as well as yellower lights. I believe this is why a lot of older fog lights used to be yellow, (but nowadays, most people get fog lights for style and more light output).

Also, regarding the sharp cut-off of the HIDs, I think that's dependent on the reflectors and the way the light housings are designed, not the actual HIDs.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
STi_Thunder said:
The HIDs on Audi's look purpleish from certain angles ... pretty annoying ...
Ya I hate those HIDs on like the miata and some cars where it looks like a stock bulb from some angles, then multicolored or purple, like its being ran through a prism... very annoying.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
its all good, i just want those dam 6k's!!!! ;-)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts