IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
5,800 miles. So far the only issue requiring a trip to the dealer was an iPod interface cable that didn't work. It was not connected to the head unit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Im at 3600 miles, and had the reflash at 1200 miles. The only issue was the car was delivered with a shhhhhhtty alignment. Besides that I have only had issues starting the vehicle in the cold, but i had that issue in my old 07STI.

I am on my second oil change and hopefully nothing goes wrong with it. I plan on breaking it in a little more before I go stage 2.

Getting into 2nd gear on cold days with the car not fully warm is a [email protected] as well.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
There are soo many posts about different problems i thought it would be nice to see how many with '08-'09 STI's have had virtually NO problems with their STI's and what mileage you are currently at.

Positive post alert :tup:
No problems here at about 9K on a stop-sale car.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Well, one of my turn signal bulbs went out a couple weeks back. I tried to get the car lemon-lawed because of it, but imagine the audacity of the dealer! They replaced the bulb and sent me on my way without giving me a brand new car. The nerve of them!

Seriously though the car has been awesome and problem-free since day one (March 08). And yes it is emasculating to take it in for a bulb change, but hey I was down the street and I didn't want to have to remove my battery to get behind the driver's side headlight assembly.

Other minor ****les over the past year: 1) driver's seat creak, fixed by simple tightening; 2) the bluetooth is pretty much useless once going over about 40MPH on a concrete freeway (due to background noise). They even replaced the mic for me under warranty but it didn't help.

Oh and for some reason I pass up everybody on the road. I don't know why... you guys think I should have it looked at?

EDIT: 14000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
18,000 trouble-free miles. I did have 2 issues:

1) The iPod kit had an alternator whine like you would not believe. After getting a grounding kit installed under warranty, it was determined to be a faulty cable, the one that plugs to the iPod.

2) Wait, that's it! Nothing else!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Oh and for some reason I pass up everybody on the road. I don't know why... you guys think I should have it looked at?

EDIT: 14000 miles.
You should definitely have that looked at. With the stock tune you should be getting passed by every cobalt on the road. :lol:

·
Registered
218 Posts
20,000 and running strong, (stage 2 protune tune at 5000)
although now getting some time off inside for the rest of the winter

·
Registered
73 Posts
really wish this thread was 20 pages strong. too many negative threads read today and saw this beacon of hope so i'm chiming in despite my low miles.

i'm at 2100.....stage 2 (though I loved it before mods almost as much) and really hoping no drama is coming my way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i know this is about STI's. However, on my 2.5I (Base model), I had the pleasure to ride it from the hot and humid weathers of South Carolina, to the cold winter of New York, across the country to the fabulous San Diego, and the 2 feet snow of Seattle. Thus far, I had zero problems. Only spent money on gas, oil, and few audio mods. I've put my 2.5I through the tortures of distance, weather, and bad road conditions and it held up so far. AWD also proved it worth when climbing steep hills in 2 feet of snow very few cars, trucks, and vans could do.

I'm very proud of my car and never regret a single moment.

Edit: 19,827 Miles as of 20Jan2009

·
Registered
21 Posts
3200 miles so far and no problems other than the battery sucking under 10 degrees. I live in North Dakota / Wisconsin, and it gets pretty cold quite often. Especially North Dakota :(. Other than that, no problems.

·
Registered
157 Posts
3800 some miles, getting ready for its second oil change.

Mods:
  • VentureTape Clear Bra
  • 28% tint
  • RA UR mud flaps
  • NAV fix
  • Snorkel delete
  • Leveled HIDs
  • Cobb AP Stage 1 map
Fixed the hatch cover rattle with a little velcro. The ends already have padding. It's the part that is spring loaded that rattles. Stick the soft velcro on each non-slotted side and reassemble.

Driver's seat creaks when my fatass moves around too much, but not while driving.

Rear brakes have bad squeal when reversing.

Car produces horrific smell when driven hard.

All of which seem pretty minor. The sound system is terrible. I can't wait to address that. Other than those things, the car has been a dream.

Suddenly my MPG increased too. I was avg'g about 18.9 with normal/spirited driving, now i avg about 19.8.

·
Registered
194 Posts
3800 some miles, getting ready for its second oil change.

Mods:
  • VentureTape Clear Bra
  • 28% tint
  • RA UR mud flaps
  • NAV fix
  • Snorkel delete
  • Leveled HIDs
  • Cobb AP Stage 1 map
Fixed the hatch cover rattle with a little velcro. The ends already have padding. It's the part that is spring loaded that rattles. Stick the soft velcro on each non-slotted side and reassemble.

Driver's seat creaks when my fatass moves around too much, but not while driving.

Rear brakes have bad squeal when reversing.

Car produces horrific smell when driven hard.

All of which seem pretty minor. The sound system is terrible. I can't wait to address that. Other than those things, the car has been a dream.

Suddenly my MPG increased too. I was avg'g about 18.9 with normal/spirited driving, now i avg about 19.8.
the squeal is when the rotors change direction I believe, Its normal from what I have read about it.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I dont really want to post in the this thread because I am afraid it will jinx my car but what the hell. 2300 miles so far and no problems. cobb stage 1 flashed at 1000 miles. No other engine or suspension mods. Fingers crossed that it will continue to work great!

·
Registered
73 Posts
nice on the mpg's....i've been getting 16 driving mostly in 'I' with a relatively light foot.....with the tune I just got I'm hoping it will improve.

So nice on the 19 mpgs 640K!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
8670 miles since May 08. No mods other than new wheels. No problems after reflash. Pretty much the same in terms of running costs as my other STI. I'm averaging slightly better gas mileage this winter ~21.8mpg but I've been driving mostly at 60-ish because of my roof rack. I'm happy as a clam and having fun.

·
Registered
165 Posts
11,000 miles on mine. I've had it for a year... Factory Reflash, Cat back exhaust.

-no problems with car
-kenwood navi unit failed two weeks after purchase... Replacement was free.
-Only thing that bothers me is the increasing rattles and noises coming from all over the place:). but then I just turn up the stereo or listen to the exhaust

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
(I've cleaned up the thread a bit and removed some non-GR posts)

I picked up my car at the end of March and now have almost 19,000km on it. The car was running the Cobb Stage 1 93 v1.00 (yes the "scary" one :lol:) for almost 15,000km. Now it is running the Cobb Stage 2 91 v1.02 map (will be running the 93 map once our spring/summer gas is back in circulation). Hopefully, I'm not jinxing myself but so far I've had no mechanical issues. Occasionally, I did experience a bit of 2nd gear grind at WOT when shifting from 1-2 near redline, but it has gone away since I put the KB bushings in. The only annoying thing right now is the "gurgling/meshing" sound at startup or coasting to a stop (in gear). I've had that since day 1. Other than that, everything has been great with the car.

The car gets an oil change about every 5K km and, at least during the summer, was frequently hand washed and waxed. This winter has been too brutal to keep it perfectly clean. It is always fed 94 octane.

Great thread. :tup:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I thought the 'gurgling/meshing' sound was normal? I always had that sound on my 06 WRX and my 08 STI. I figured it was just part of the Subaru Turbo Boxer orchestra...

61 - 80 of 314 Posts