IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out! I was just checking to see if cc-b.com had any more floormats, and this pic popped up!

SWEEET!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey Clone - do ya know if the fogs are HID's? j/c....

·
Registered
631 Posts
Innnnnnnterrrrresting.....*rubbing his chin*

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm confused! I asked CLone if they were HID's and he winked at me! Then Murley starts rubbing his chin! YIKES! (haha) Checked cc-b and can't find any mention of the fogs - IMO they look better than they dealer installed ones I've seen, but I really want HID fogs. I've tried calling and e-mailing these folks and haven't ever heard back (this was like 2mos. ago). Anybody know?

·
Registered
80 Posts
indicator

Hmm... I like the OE ones myself. But I could go for a pair of the mirrors with turn signals in them... Had they had these before I would I not got them instead of OE to replace my broken one -- which is altogether a different story. :oops:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Okay, sounds like story time phishie-poo..... spill the glasss....

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I saw those pics on that site also. HID fogs would be the only way to go or I think they would be a waste of money with HID headlights. As far as those headlights go I think they kinda look like arse, they aren't even projectors or whatever it's called. Maybe a pic of the whole front end would make them look better.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I was thinking if I put HID fogs on they could be angled up a little bit more than is typical to really light things up when on the road w/o any company (i.e. oncoming traffic!). I agree that HID's would be the way to go, but everywhere I've looked they're $500 and up, and nobody seems to have a line on whether they'd fit the '04. Do you know anything MKIV?

·
Registered
80 Posts
murley said:
Okay, sounds like story time phishie-poo..... spill the glasss....
Let's just say there is one less deer on the road.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hehehe..., that's funny. I'll bet the deer hit you while you were stopped too...

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
StuBrown said:
I agree that HID's would be the way to go, but everywhere I've looked they're $500 and up, and nobody seems to have a line on whether they'd fit the '04. Do you know anything MKIV?
Yeah they are not cheap. The only ones I know of are the ones I had on my Legacy but they were rectangle shaped. I think PIAA makes some round ones. The hard part would be to get them to fit and look as good as the Subaru fogs. You would have to find something the same size and somehow use the OEM surrounds.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well if you or anyone else gets a handle on this please let me know and I will do the same. I've decided I'll be putting fogs in (HID's) and am currently working w/a shop on some that will fit (even though I don't have my STi yet). While the price wouldn't be that huge a deal I want them to look OE. And thx for the feedback MKIV.

·
Registered
80 Posts
murley said:
Hehehe..., that's funny. I'll bet the deer hit you while you were stopped too...
Actually the truck in from of us hit the deer. This threw it up in the air, flying over the top of truck and down at us. What really pissed me off was the truck never stopped. :evil:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I laughed because I thought you were kidding. I know we've discussed HID fogs in the past.

Have you ever seen HID fogs on a car? Even the most expensive "look how much money I spent on this car" car? Have you found any benefit to having them IF you've seen them? Is that additional brightness of that little light right down in front of your car worth not only the price of HID bulbs, but the risk of having the fog shot out with a rock and shatter your HID bulb?

If you actually feel there is a reason for HID fogs, please proceed with your plans. Otherwise, I'd really think it over, because personally I think fogs in general are a waste of time and light energy on a car with HID lows. And how do I know? I've been there....converted to Philips HIDs 2 years ago. Even to leave the fogs just for the look.....you can't find a non-HID bulb that matches the real HID glow.....I've tried em all. And I don't consider $500 for the "look" of fogs to be a wise investment.

Just observations.......let us know if you actually get it done.

·
Registered
614 Posts
See Rob - I value this kinda feedback. No, TBH I don't think I've seen HID fogs on a car. I'm not a "look at how much I spent on my car kinda guy" (not that you were inferring that) or I'd be buying a Porsche or BMW. Frankly, I think spending 32k on a car that will just go down in value isn't too smart, but I'm enthusiastic! :D I do, however, have some issues with nighttime visibility (not to the point of being a danger to others though) and thought if I could angle them up a tad it would greatly increase the overall output (may be wrong, but that's why I come here - to learn from others who are more knowledgeable, hoping to help someone else every now and again). As for rocks shattering it - that was an immediate thought. I was hoping some sort of screen system could minimize that risk though. I was a little unclear on your experience though - may have just read poorly. Did you have BOTH fogs and lows that were HID's? And still didn't feel they were worth the hassle/expense? Please let me know....hope this wasn't misinterpreted as belligerent, again - appreciate your insight very much!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Naw, not at all. I hope I didn't come across as if you were such.

I didn't not have HID fogs....I've never seen the reason. The logic....take one really reall bright light, hold if off the ground 40" (or whatever the legal headlight height limit is) and point that sucker out into space. Now, set another bright light down at your feet and point it out there too. The conical shape of the light diffision will show you just how much you'll get out of fogs....nothing. Half of the light will go up (assuming non-projector) and be wasted....the other half, most will light the ground within 5 ft.

I drive a great deal out in the country here in Kansas, so I can certainly appreciate the need for real lighting. I can't imagine any more light necessary than what I get with a good set of white high beams and HID lows. The fogs I had stock on the Celica (nice units, projectors) were completely worthless with the HIDs. All they did was splatter a little yellow light right in front of the car.

Try this out first and see if you need more light......find a set of Cool Blues (I found em at Walmart) for your high beams. They aren't blue bulbs, not even colored for that matter. They produce a very clean looking light and hold up much better than those ebay "Xenon" bulbs. If those, mated with the HID lows don't give you enough light, I'd go for HID highs before I considered lows. I know some BMWs or the like have HID highs....but I'll be deadly honest, I don't see the need.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Cool. Much appreciated man. You didn't give any kind of negative impression but I know all too well how quickly stuff can be misinterpreted and wanted to make sure that wasn't the case here. Your explanation on the light diffusion is very interesting, as I was unaware of that trait on fogs. I knew that if I matched the Kelvin rating (i.e. 6k fogs w/6k lows) they would match, assuming same manufacturer. I will do as you suggested and try the "cool blue" for the highs and see how it does. Thanks for potentially saving me $500 too (GD the Internet is great). I too do a lot of driving on country roads (or as country as CT can get), and they're typically very twisty and dimly lit in my area....that coupled with me "pushing" the car at night just had me thinking. Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts