IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my insurance cards and bill today with the Sti on it. I traded my 2002 Acura TL Type S in for the Sti. My insurance actually went DOWN $30 a month... go figure! They know its an Sti becasue they pull the vehicle information off the VIN I provided!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
yup heh, my insurance (in my name) would be $2000 cheaper then if I had a Supra lol imagine that. I guess power isnt the only factor they take into play ;)

Robert~

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
Same here. . . . my quote was $ 1.00 LESS a month than my 2002 Civic. :D

Same coverage, information, etc.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hello...

i will be droping $3.00 a month going from a Prelude Type Sh

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Hmmm....my insurance company (Farmers) must have figured out what the car is. It's rated as a class 3....to put that in perspective, cars are rated first by letters. Only when they run out of letters do they use numbers....ouch!

Mine went up about $80 every 6 from a 00 Celica GTS.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
staticx313 said:
yup heh, my insurance (in my name) would be $2000 cheaper then if I had a Supra lol imagine that. I guess power isnt the only factor they take into play ;)

Robert~
Damn! My Supra is actually cheaper than my STi.

BTW, most companies use the VIN and know what the STi is but they might not have a classification for it yet. They could be rating it like a WRX or just going by the value for now. Be prepared for possible changes or increases in your premiums.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Mine went up a few dollars every 6 months. For those that did go down, save that extra amount. You will probably need it when they finally figure out what your driving.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
staticx313 said:

Robert~
Damn! My Supra is actually cheaper than my STi.

BTW, most companies use the VIN and know what the STi is but they might not have a classification for it yet. They could be rating it like a WRX or just going by the value for now. Be prepared for possible changes or increases in your premiums.
ya they had to call the subaru dealer on my car to find out all the details and such. Luckily he told them about all the safety features and none bout the performance :).

Robert~

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine works out to be about $65 per month for 100/300 coverage... about the same as my 1993 Lexus GS300 and 2002 Chevy S-10 pick-em-up truck.

I am with GEICO and have about every discount you can name.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
We must also factor-in demographics, too.

Me:

Male
Single
32 (next month)
NO moving violations in the last 3 years

About $450 every six months through USAA

·
Registered
65 Posts
I called State Farm earlier today for a quote. The STI is still not in the computers but I did get some interesting numbers. Apparantly, most insurance companies look to this national database of autos. Every car is given a number rating (I do not remember the name of this system). I'm not sure of the max rating but the agent I spoke with said she has seen some in the 40's.

Grand AM GT - 18 (current ride)
WRX - 23
Evo - 21

I once got a quote on a Grand Prix and I think it was around 14. Anyhow, I was really suprised to see the EVO lower than the WRX. She said the numbers are based upon replacement part cost, labor, etc. She did not know for sure, but from what I told her she eximated the STI would be no higher than a 25, sounded resonable to me.

I was just wondering if anyone else was familiar with this. I hope to get a STI in the somewhat near future but the question of insurance still bothers me. I fear the possible 'suprise' once they get the STI info in the computer. The EVO rating made me feel a little more comfortable but I wonder if they are just giving the EVO the same value as the lancer.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I want to know what's up with State Farm. It's still not in their database?? I was suprized when it wasn't there when I got mine insured on July 7th, and you're saying it's not in there as of August 29th. You'd think that the largest car insurer in the world would have their act together.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much do you think insurance would cost for an eighteen year old male with one speeding ticket on his record 80 in a 55 (2 years ago)?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
A LOT!!!!!!

Sorry, I cannot give you anymore than that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My guess would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $240 per month (~$1400/6 mos.) or more .... You won't be getting any break on that price for at least 4 or 5 years too!!

As a reference:
23 year old male, no tickets, safe driver discount, and SAE discount = (~1000 for 6 mos.)

Good luck man ......
Smitty

·
Registered
270 Posts
i'm 23 year old male, no tickets, safe driver discount, married,
wife 25 year old, no tickets safe driver discount, plus all the saftey stuff on the sti we will be paying $107/month for both of us.
so i'm happy with that price.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
STi high....looks like we are in pretty close to the same boat.

Me, 23
Wife, 25

And everything else the same except a few old tickets on my record I suppose. ;)

Only problem....mine is higher than that. I really need to look around again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts