IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one going through withdrawl? The most expensive thing I have bought for my car was a Jeep to drive during the winter. :wink:

CoreySTi04

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i'm with you corey. i'm driving my beater '91 nx2000. it's a very fun car to drive, but no brute like the sti. when the temp is 50 or greater, i'll pull the sti out. i miss the four doors; i'm already tired of loading the kids into carseats in this 2-door shoebox.

·
Registered
109 Posts
STI modifications In California

Man, what's up with that. I traded my '01 Camaro SS for the STi so I could drive a whoop-ass car all year 'round!

It's all wheel drive!!!! Get some winter tires/wheels and get out there!

I have 560 miles on the car. My winter tires (Continental ContiExtremeContact) came in last Thursday, the wheels (Rota Tarmac II) followed on Saturday. I had them mounted up and on the car Saturday night. On Sunday we had a snow storm and I was out playin'. It was great!

·
Registered
759 Posts
copracer288 said:
I have 560 miles on the car. My winter tires (Continental ContiExtremeContact) came in last Thursday, the wheels (Rota Tarmac II) followed on Saturday. I had them mounted up and on the car Saturday night. On Sunday we had a snow storm and I was out playin'. It was great!
Timing is everything.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mines put away. I'll pull it out after several days of dry sunny weather to keep it fresh, but i have a beater to drive during those slushy Connecticut winter days.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm with Toyworx. (both in location and mindset). Sadly, no STi unless the roads are clear and temps are north of 30 (as I still have the RE07's on). And yeah, I'm missing her already. :cry:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
copracer288 said:
Man, what's up with that.
yeah, it does seem nuts, i agree. but i'm too broke to buy all-season tires and wheels. i could swap the re070s off, but then the tire monkey will probably leave big gashes in my rims. i've got a beater with all-season tires. if i don't drive it now, then when? :) i've driven awd in the snow lots and lots; my first car was a suby 4wd; my other car is an outback. so there's no novelty to me of driving in the snow. and there's nothing to do in the snow that requires 300hp. (think i've rationalized it enough to myself? ;) ) the one thing i will miss is playing with the dccd, but i'll live and learn vicariously through you guys.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: Proper way to shift for best acceleration?

My STi is hibernating as well, and will be back out in the late spring after the state cleans up all the salt and sand. In the meantime, I'm going to take on the winter with my 99 VW Golf TDI.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
After driving the STi this past weekend in some poor conditions and deep snow, I just couldn't imagine driving anything else in the snow. If you dial in the DCCD properly there is nothing that will hang with this car in poor conditions. I went 50/50 in deep snow and climbed a decent hill with zero slippage.

-st

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not saying that driving my STi wouldn't be the most legal fun i've had in years, but for me this is the 911 that i can't afford. For me it's a pure toy. I don't need to own it. I have two other vehicles, a buick park ave (the winter beater, got it for free when they took my grandfahters license away a few years ago), and a done up CJ7 (the summer toy).

So i would prefer to keep it under 10,000 miles a year, and keep the salt off. Nothing mucks up an engine bay quicker than Connecticut roads in the winter.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
toyworx said:
I'm not saying that driving my STi wouldn't be the most legal fun i've had in years, but for me this is the 911 that i can't afford. For me it's a pure toy. I don't need to own it. I have two other vehicles, a buick park ave (the winter beater, got it for free when they took my grandfahters license away a few years ago), and a done up CJ7 (the summer toy).

So i would prefer to keep it under 10,000 miles a year, and keep the salt off. Nothing mucks up an engine bay quicker than Connecticut roads in the winter.
Yeah, I'm sure I might consider it if I had more than one car : )

-st

·
Registered
479 Posts
My STi is cleaned up for storage and will only come out if it's warm enough to wash it again before I put it back that weekend. I have an S10 ZR2 that is much better equipped for the snow - why buy new snow tires when I already have 31x10.50's?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I chose the STi over the '03 Cobra because it afforded me every day drivability. The 4 doors and awd were enough to sway me, not to mention the cheaper insurance. That being said, I drive my STi everyday and I'm still on the stock tires. Fortunately, I live in the city and everything gets plowed and is heavily travelled so the roads are usually pretty good, but I still plan on getting winter tires after xmas. BTW, I do have a beater, but it's non-operational right now :roll:

·
Registered
9 Posts
My WRB baby is in the garage until the snow/ice/salt is gone...should be right around June. I'm driving a beater 2wd F150 mid '80s vintage...got my eye on a F350 4wd V-10 though.. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Who sells pre-painted Defi pods that match interior dash??

Mine put away for the winter. Michigan roads are rough enough with out the snow, ice and salt destroying my car. Besides have you ever been behind a salt truck on the express way. It makes me cringe even thinking about all those salt rocks slamming aginst my car....

·
Registered
949 Posts
i had planned on only bringing mine out during the brief nice wetaher speels we might get here in new engand.
then during our 1st snow storm, my 95 bronco was having 4wd problems.
so, out came the sti all wrapped in snow tires.
yesterday, i luckily drove the bronco, as i ended up behind a state truck laying down the sand (more like boulders)

it sucks, cuz i know the sti is superior in poor conditions, but the paint is not holding up as well as i had hoped. not to mention i am petrified of all the other idiots on the road doing 70+mph in snow, in their fwd cars with all season tires!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts