1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Questions

Hello,

I have searched, but only seen 1 or two references to it: I would like to
hear from people that have ACTUALLY installed 6.5" in the rear.

Did you put them in the door or deck ? What all was involved ? I found a GREAT deal on a set of 4, 6.5" coaxs but want to make sure I can use the back 2 before going for it. They are 2.25" deep.

Also, has anyone removed the 'stock' speaker 'grilles' that are molded into the doors and replaced them with something BETTER ? The stock door molding is VERY restrictive and has too small a cutout to even let a 6.5" speaker in the front properly radiate it's sound through. Do you have pictures of what you did / how you did it ?

Thanks in advance for everything!

-Sporty

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
My installer recommended 5.25" coaxials for the rear fill in the doors, so I went with a set of Diamond Audio M3s to compliment the M661s in the front doors. Even then he said some minor trimming was almost necessary. :p

G

·
I put 5.25's in the rear door, but I'm not satisfied with the sound. First, I am going to attempt to mount 6.5's in the rear deck, but if they don't fit, I will be moving the 5.25s this weekend or the next.

I did notice that 5.25's do not fit in the rear doors without either mounting them fullly inside the door or dremelling the hole. Also, if you do dremel the hole, the rear door speaker grill protrudes and it also needs to be sanded down to flat so you don't mess up your speakers.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
6.5's in the rear deck will require a lot of cutting and removing/relocating the seat belts and child seat anchors. My installer recommended to just go with 5.25s, which I did. They still required a little cutting. For rear-fill sound you do not need anything fancy. Some people don't even run rear speakers.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I installed 6.5 MB Quarts in the rear door and had to do some cutting. Cutting was pretty easy. The metal is not very thick. I actually used a dremel to cut. The hole in the rear doors are square. So all I did was round out two of the sides to make the hole bigger and it fit fine. I don't have access to a digital camera so I have no pics. I installed 5.25 MB Quart in the rear deck. I had no problem with driver side but the hole on the passenger side needed some work. I didn't cut into the metal. I just bent the metal to widen the hole. The fit of the speaker in the rear deck was very close. Trying to put 6.5 in the rear deck looked like it would need major work. I wanted to put 6.5 but it would've been too hard.

If I get pics I will post. Currently looking into getting a camera.

G

·
As everyone mentioned 6.5's did not fit on the deck without serious modification to the metal underneath.

The 5.25's fit with only a moderate amount of cutting and imo, were well worth it as they fill a lot better up there than they did in the doors.

·
Registered
391 Posts
SWEET

I tried installing a set of 5.25 Image Dynamics Coaxils with the IA adaptors in the rear doors. No good. Then I tried a set of 5.25 Image Dynamics Mid Drivers with the IA Adaptors in the rear doors. No good. I think I am going to lose the adaptors and cut the metal so that the Mid-Drivers fit. I am selling the co-axials if anyone is interested. They will fit with some cutting I am sure. By the way the adaptors are great! And IA customer service is amazing. My set up was no good for the adaptor thats all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could one of you guys, out of the kindness of your heart, please tell me how you put the 5.25's in the rear deck? How you ran the wiring, how you cut the holes, etc, etc.

Thank you thank you thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I wish I could but mine was all professionally done and the rear deck speakers, 2 amps, cap, etc are hidden behind a wall in my trunk so I can't even see it. BTW, there are holes there already, you just need to cut a small piece out and relocate a small black box.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I'm going to try to undertake this task here in the next few days.....after getting just one of my 5.25"s in the rear doors, I know they are going to be disappointing there. All the sound goes straight into the back of the front seats! I'll try and take a few pictures while I'm back there.

G

·
i'll try and remember the steps i did in order, but it's been a few months and I drink a lot... so

First I took out the rear seat and all the rear deck stuff i could.

Inside the trunk, you will see 2 precut holes in the deck. One is covered by a motor. I modified the mounting bracket for the motor with a dremel and relocated it about 4 inches to the right so it was not covering the hole (by 'modified', i mean I cut off one section of the motor bracket, and used a hole that as closer and more on the side).

Then I traced out the circle for the speaker and cut through the sound dampening material. The fit on the side behind the driver is pretty smooth, and required no modification or very little. The side behind the passenger seat was blocked (if I remember correctly) by the child restraint bolt or maybe a seat belt. So, I had to dremel out part of the trunk to get the speaker basket to fit. I used a big metal cutter piece, it's a non standard dremel bit, and I don't know what it's actual name is. I removed probably a half inch to a full inch of metal across a 4" section, so you have to cut quite a bit (this will be dependant on your speakers tho, as some have much larger baskets etc). I recommend doing it from the trunk side, and covering the hole before hand so you don't shower your interior with sparks and little bits of metal

The cable i just ran through one of the many holes between the trunk and the rear seat, and then underneath the carpet to the amp (under the passenger seat). Inside the trunk, I just strategically zip tied it so that it is up and out of the way.

If you are afraid to cut out metal from your car, I do not recommend this, but the good news is, all of the fab work you do will be hidden, so you don't have to be a guru to get it done.

I can take pics of the final fitment if you think it will help, just let me know.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I know someone with Focals like the first responder, but I think that required some trick fitment by a professional.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
i just bought some carwash stuff!

Here are a few pics I took a few nights ago:

Driver's side with a 5.25" Type R in it. Looks like it will need a brace on the one side...planning to use a strip of sheet metal riveted in place.

Passenger side with the same speaker in place. This is with the rear defogger choke coil removed. More on that in a sec. Same bracing needed.

Here is the choke coil. It was sitting in the passenger-side hole. One bolt and a plastic clip held it in. Now to relocate it....

Pop up some of the plastic clips that hold the wires coming out of the choke coil, giving you more freedom in locating the choke coil. I stuffed it down in this little opening, drilled a hole for the bolt to pass through and drilled a second hole for the other end....then zipped tied her down. Out of sight, not in the way...problem solved.

I'll add more once I get around to making the braces for the speakers.

·
Registered
354 Posts
if anyones interested i just finished my speaker install in the rear doors..i went with the cdt cl-5x
that Stephan from IA suggested. they fit perfect!! no cutting no dremeling. u do need the thin
spacers for the rear from AI.

As for the fronts i originally went with the jbl 6.5 gto 606c and fitment was snug but it fit. at first
i wasnt happy at all with the sound for 199.00. then when it reached like -30 below wind chills
the crossovers didnt work until the car was warmed up inside for a while. everthing worked fine
for a few months till it got cold. after redoing everything 3 times thinking i messed up the install
same thing. i took them out and sent them back to crutchfield.

i went with the Polk 6.5 db650 coaxials. they fit perfect and dont touch the back of the panels at
all. and not to mention sound alot better than those jbl components. still need AI spacers

from my 2 month experience of trial and error.. i reccommend the polks 6.5 db650 for the front .
if you absolutely want a component sys then go with polk db6500. they will fit even better since they
are little smaller all around.

for the back the cdt 5.25 cl-5x are the best fitting so far with no hassle install. and the best part they
are only 44.99. cant go wrong

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
How much imagining do you actually get from the rear door speaker locations though? I didn't bother installing more than one of mine before shooting for the rear deck idea, but I'd guess you need to bias your gains rearward rather significantly in order to get even a decent fill sound, am I wrong?

·
Registered
354 Posts
yeh the backs dont do too much but there is a difference..if you just play the backs it almost sounds as good as the fronts ..its mostly just for fill.
i put the fader one click towards the back. i figured for 45 bucks, wth.

definately in need of another pair somewhere. soon as weather warms up. thinking of making my own box with 2 12"S in the trunk..dunno yet

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Re: General questions.

Well, I got the 5.25"s in the rear deck last night...what a difference! With the balance set at even, they are a perfect fill from the back. If the headrests weren't in the way, you'd hear the rears just as much as the fronts.

Here are a few pics of the bracing I added to get the speakers to fit the openings. Simply bought a 6"x18" sheet of a pretty high gauge sheet metal from Home Depot (dual ply used in all places), a few bags of machine bolts and washers and started drilling away. It's not pretty, but once it's sound deadened and covered back up, it's all good.....oh, and it's stable as all get up.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Just FYI....don't drop your speakers through the holes while test fitting. Notice on the bottom picture how there appear to only be 3 mounting tabs left on the speaker......yeah, that's not an illusion. DOH!

·
Registered
72 Posts
CloneGTS, Do you have a pic with the carpet back over the speakers? Did you just add on the the existing wires or re-wire for the rear deck?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts