IW STi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in getting the whiteline lateral links for my 05 sti. I was looking at the part numbers on their website and I was also looking on rallysportdirect and there is only 2 different part numbers. One is for a wagon and the other is for a sedan. I know the wrx and the sti can't interchange the stock links so i'm wondering if these will work on my car. Does anyone have any input/know if they will or if there is a specific part number for our cars?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Good question. Try sending an email to rallysportdirect and see what they say. Let me know, because I'm interested too.

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
That is a very good question that the guys over on subaruforester.org and I have been wondering about. I have a theory that if you flip-flop the rear arms it MAY work with the STi links. The FXT uses the same STi endlink setup. I've made a heck of an offer to the guys over there if someone would be willing to try out my experiment, but so far I've had no takers.

The reason the FXT guys are looking for upgraded links is because the stock LL tabs for the endlinks have a nasty habit of breaking off.

As for what they do -
There's the obvious improvement in adjustability for toe and camber, but there's another benefit. They come with stiffer bushings than what's in the car stock. What that gets you is stability during accel. and decel.

Here's what happens when you accel and decel, the stock bushings flex a lot, and it takes a bit of time for the rest of the car to catch up (that whole body at rest/in motion thing). Now when I say a lot I mean in comparison to using stiffer bushings, which the WL LL have.

When you acel, the tires grip and start to move forward. This causes a load on the lat links, and because the bushings flex it leads to a little bit of toe-in as the wheels and suspension move forward (it does return to normal once the rest of the mass catches up).

You get the same type of thing with decel, but you get toe out instead. See, when the wheel slows it takes a little bit for the rest of the car to slow down (damn that inertia). Those soft bushings allow the rest of the mass to move more than if you went with stiffer bushings.

In other words - the stiffer bushings help with toe control. Oh, and you also get better response from them overall in things like side loading and such, but the toe thing is the biggest part.

Now, how much are we talking here? Honestly, not much. These are one of those mods that folks do when they've already done just about everything else, and are looking for that 10/10ths little tiny last bit.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
krees23 said:
Good question. Try sending an email to rallysportdirect and see what they say. Let me know, because I'm interested too.
I did and never got a response. I thought I'd ask here thinking someone came across this already.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turninconcepts.com said:
That is a very good question that the guys over on subaruforester.org and I have been wondering about. I have a theory that if you flip-flop the rear arms it MAY work with the STi links. The FXT uses the same STi endlink setup. I've made a heck of an offer to the guys over there if someone would be willing to try out my experiment, but so far I've had no takers.

The reason the FXT guys are looking for upgraded links is because the stock LL tabs for the endlinks have a nasty habit of breaking off.

As for what they do -
There's the obvious improvement in adjustability for toe and camber, but there's another benefit. They come with stiffer bushings than what's in the car stock. What that gets you is stability during accel. and decel.

Here's what happens when you accel and decel, the stock bushings flex a lot, and it takes a bit of time for the rest of the car to catch up (that whole body at rest/in motion thing). Now when I say a lot I mean in comparison to using stiffer bushings, which the WL LL have.

When you acel, the tires grip and start to move forward. This causes a load on the lat links, and because the bushings flex it leads to a little bit of toe-in as the wheels and suspension move forward (it does return to normal once the rest of the mass catches up).

You get the same type of thing with decel, but you get toe out instead. See, when the wheel slows it takes a little bit for the rest of the car to slow down (damn that inertia). Those soft bushings allow the rest of the mass to move more than if you went with stiffer bushings.

In other words - the stiffer bushings help with toe control. Oh, and you also get better response from them overall in things like side loading and such, but the toe thing is the biggest part.

Now, how much are we talking here? Honestly, not much. These are one of those mods that folks do when they've already done just about everything else, and are looking for that 10/10ths little tiny last bit.
Thats part of the reason I'm interested in these. The main reason i'm interested in getting these is cause I read somewhere that a guy installed these with cusco adjustable camber plates. He put the plates at max camber and then dialed in 1.5-2 degrees with the links. That ended up narrowing the rear track roughly an inch. I'd like to get the largest possible tire in there on 18x8.5 rims without rubbing and still have the camber adjustability with the links(plus the stiffer bushings). I was looking at the cusco links but why spend $1500 when I can get the same quality(possibly stronger?) for around $500? (I intend to get the trailing arms also, thats why I said 1500 for the cuscos)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts